Who Watches the Watchmen?

Wycket

Is everyone to be wiped out in this thread? IS THERE NO ONE LEFT BUT I?! (screams overdramatically, cue Bernard Herrmann Twilight Zone "Where is Everybody?" music)

I don't understand the appeal of this movie?

I haven't read it but supposedly it's based on one of the best and most progressive graphic novels ever. I say, bring it on!

Tracklist had been released

1. Rescue Mission

2. Don't Get Too Misty Eyed

3. Tonight The Comedian Died

4. Silk Spectre

5. We'll Live Longer

6. You Quit!

7. Only Two Names Remain

8. The American Dream

9. Edward Blake – The Comedian

10. The Last Laugh

11. Prison Fight

12. Just Look Around You

13. Dan's Apocalyptic Dream

14. Who Murdered Hollis Mason?

15. What About Janie Slater?

16. I'll Tell You About Rorschach

17. Countdown

18. It Was Me

19. All That Is Good

20. Requiem (Excerpted from Mozart's Requiem)

21. I Love You Mom

I've been reading along and have no idea what the eff you guys are talking about. :blink: I despise Zack Snyder, so I won't be seeing this film.

So do I. I feel conflicting emotions. I loved the novel, but hate the director. This movie rates a meh on my scale.

20. Requiem (Excerpted from Mozart's Requiem)

Tyler Bates is learning to credit the people he steals from :lol:

That's exaclt what I was going to say. :P

So do I. I feel conflicting emotions. I loved the novel, but hate the director. This movie rates a meh on my scale.

You love graphic novels but you hate Zack Snyder? How strange! Why hate a director that knows how to create a film that looks like a graphic novel?

300 was exactly what a filmed version of the comic should be. I don't know what most of you guys were expecting. Come on, it's Frank "I'm the god-damned Batman!" Miller.

Just finished reading it and at last I understand the problem with the ending. Any ideas of how they were going to fix that?

The whole 'without the squid nothing makes sense' thing?

I just don't know. But I haven't seen anything from this movie to make me hopeful. And this movie really required grittier cinematography. IT looks too plastic

Music From The Motion Picture Watchmen, the film's official soundtrack, includes My Chemical Romance's powerful reinterpretation of Bob Dylan's "Desolation Row," recorded exclusively for the film.

Uh oh.

I just don't know. But I haven't seen anything from this movie to make me hopeful. And this movie really required grittier cinematography. IT looks too plastic

Indeed, especially from a comic book that prided itself on displaying superheroes in a very mundane way. That's way the costumes look the way they do, they aren't supposed to be high-tech and cool.

Also, Snyder added a whole new subplot dealing with the queen to 300 that wasn't in the book.

Indeed, especially from a comic book that prided itself on displaying superheroes in a very mundane way. That's way the costumes look the way they do, they aren't supposed to be high-tech and cool.

Also, Snyder added a whole new subplot dealing with the queen to 300 that wasn't in the book.

At least he was trying to make the movie at least have some sort of a plot to it. The book itself is not one of Miller's best works, so I welcomed that he tried to at least add some depth to the story.

And omg, they used a Philip Glass piece in the movie. The movie must be terrible!!! ;)

He added neither depth nor much more plot with the addition, it just came off as unnecessary. But I will say this, Snyder certainly got the look of the graphic novel down.

300 was exactly what a filmed version of the comic should be. I don't know what most of you guys were expecting. Come on, it's Frank "I'm the god-damned Batman!" Miller.

Yes, I know. The style Snyder brought was perfect for 300. My problem is, he seems to have brought exactly that to the Watchmen which doesn't really seem to fit with that.

Well, Koray, here's something else you'll probably despise: My Chemical Romance's cover version of "Desolation Row."

I should admit that as a raging Bob Dylan fan, the odds that I would like a cover of "Desolation Row" -- easily one of my favorite songs by anyone -- were never good. But I'm not just a fan of Dylan as aperformer, I'm a fan of Dylan as a songwriter, and I love hearing cover versions of his songs. I like a lot of them that I probably shouldn't: Cher's "All I Really Want to Do," the Four Seasons' "Like a Rolling Stone," even William Shatner's "Mr. Tambourine Man," amongst others, because even though those are some pretty cheesy songs, they're at least trying to stay true to the original song's intent, or at least to one possible interpretation of the original song's intent.

So don't think I'm opposed to any cover of "Desolation Row," because that just isn't the case.

This cover, though, is pretty f---ing wretched. For one thing, it's, like, four minutes long. Which is partially because My Chemical Romance, about whom I know little, play it as if they're trying to out-Ramones the Ramones. Which in and of itself, I can respect; the music has a drive to it that translates pretty well into punk. But this isn't punk. This is pop-punk, and there's just nothing to it but a pretend sneer. It's utterly meaningless music, and if there's one thing I know "Desolaton Row" isn't, it's meaningless.

So, here's hoping that this song isn't used prominently in the movie: buried halfway through the end credits would be okay, overheard for five seconds on a passing car radio would be even better.

If I thought this was an actual indication of the kind of music that was going to be in the movie, I'd be terrified right now, but reviews I've read have indicated a truly excellent use of Dylan's "The Times They Are A-Changin' " (the original version, that is), and that bodes well.

-Now that Warner Brothers can actually see what you’ve done with “Watchmen,” has anyone tried to broach the subject of a sequel?

-No, no. I don’t know how you would do that. We never did it, but we were going to do a limited release Bazooka bubble gum. I wanted Dave [Gibbons] to draw a comic book for me, and you had to collect all of them to make it make sense. I think it’s three panels per bubble gum, and you had to get 10 gums to make it all. And I was going to make a thing called Planet Rorschach. So you see this planet, and it’s covered with New York City. It’s like a planet of New York City. There’s no suburbs. There’s one giant Empire State Building, like Mount Olympus, in the middle of it. And hovering above the needle is Manhattan, blue, glowing. But the planet’s going, “Hurm, hurm, hurm, hurm, hurm, hurm.” You can’t tell, it’s this big, deafening, “Hurm.” And as you get close, you go down into the city and the whole world is populated with Rorschachs. And they’re all bumping into each other, going, “Hurm, hurm, no compromise, hurm, hurm, Armageddon.” That’s basically it. So I was like, “Is that the movie you guys want to make?”

I get good vibes from Snyder

• 4 weeks later...

I have no idea what Watchmen is all about (I'd never heard of it until recently), but apparently the film is making the die-hard fans very happy, which bodes well. I'll probably wiki the backstory sometime today.

Yeah, I'm definitely happy that this film is getting positive reviews, as its one of the few I'm looking forward to this year. If the theatrical version is good (which it appears to be) then I'll definitely wait for the Director's cut DVD when the film is released on DVD. Apparently there's more than a half of hour of more film the studio made Synder cut, which can only add to the Watchmen goodness.

March 6 can't come any faster.

I have no idea what Watchmen is all about (I'd never heard of it until recently), but apparently the film is making the die-hard fans very happy, which bodes well. I'll probably wiki the backstory sometime today.

I strongly recommend buying the comic

It's also getting a good tomato-meter rating at Rottentomatoes so far too. Some are calling it a work of art.

I'll bet Alan Moore isn't one of them, God love him.

Anybody else read Top Ten? I'd kill your mother to see a great movie (or, better, tv series) made out of that one. Couldn't bring myself to kill my own mother, but yours...? Don't know her, so sure, why not.

And omg, they used a Philip Glass piece in the movie. The movie must be terrible!!! :D

I despise Philip Glass more than Zack Snyder.

Why?

How many times do I have to explain it?

I don't know, I haven't seen the posts where you explained it.

And omg, they used a Philip Glass piece in the movie. The movie must be terrible!!! :angry:

I despise Philip Glass more than Zack Snyder.

Why?

How many times do I have to explain it?

Yeah, I'm surprised at you Delorean. Everyone here knows exactly what everyone likes and dislikes. :D

In more serious matters, I'm glad the movie is getting good word of mouth, with all the criticisms (miscasting Ozymandias, too much slow-motion) exactly what I expected. Regardless, I'm just glad to see that hopefully this movie will do well and inspire people to read the book. Many are going to be surprised when they go to the theater next weekend, as it appears that Synder was successful at making this like no other comic book movie before it.

Except that it has the exact same mindless over-the-top style and action as Sin City, 300, The Spirit, etc. I've seen so much slow-motion in this film it's absurd.

Didn't mean to be so blunt, but I thought you were the one that I discussed it with previously.

Knock, knock.

Who's there?

Knock, knock.

Who's there?

Knock, knock.

Who's there?

Knock, knock.

Who's there?

Knock, knock.

Who's there?

Knock, knock.

Who's there?

Knock, knock.

Who's there?

Philip Glass.

Except that it has the exact same mindless over-the-top style and action as Sin City, 300, The Spirit, etc. I've seen so much slow-motion in this film it's absurd.

Why is the style and the action mindless? I don't get it. I feel that precisely those elements are extremely well thought out. I've not seen The Spirit but that one isn't getting good reviews.

Alex

I've seen so much slow-motion in this film it's absurd.

It's the reason why I avoided 300 since the first trailer, and it's reason why I will avoid this film since the first trailer.

Yes, and?

Think you're exaggerating a bit. I haven't seen much of the action, and while I've seen some of the slowmo that's been in the clips, Snyders reasoning for them in the film is that they're the equivalent of splash pages from the comic.

I can get behind that.

Nevermind.

Hey, it's 92% on RT, boys. It looks like this one could be really something. The reviews use a lot of superlatives!

Alex

You're contribution to this thread has been amazing, astonishing and downright biblical. One of the greatest posts of all time.

Nevermind.

Hey, it's 92% on RT, boys. It looks like this one could be really something. The reviews use a lot of superlatives!

Alex

its at 80 and dropping, only two major sources at this point have reviewed it, and both posted negative reviews, the majority of the other reviews falls into that sexless crowd again, a bunch of fanboys creaming their drawers isn't the basis for a solid review.

I'd argue that apart from the Lucas boys, fanboys in general are actually the HARDEST to please out of anyone.

The fact they are singing the praises of a hugely unknown potential franchise does indeed bode well.