Carter Burwell

DU Lou

Like Rachel Portman, Burwell is not a fan of "wall-to-wall" scores, so directors really hire him to score the "things" which are not "shown in the movie".

He does that pretty well.

I also loved his score to that movie about Three Billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri, which is about, well, three billboards outside... :lol:

I believe I've only got two Burwell scores in their full albums - Fargo and The Alamo. Bits from a handful of others too.

The latter must be the closest thing to a 'traditional' score that I've heard from him, as he does take a music-only-where-needed approach.

Well, whatever Burwell I have listened to, is good, easy listening music, but something is missing to make it truly great. I don't know.

By the way, I really like and I'm moved by his score for Before Night falls. Maybe I'm influenced by the film too.

9 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

You'd probably enjoy his score for Missing Link, an animated film from a few years back.  Really nice, traditional stuff!

Just came into this thread because we watched this tonight!  What a nice score.  Makes me wish for more kids’ scores that aren’t just Zimmer Jr.s following the template.

• 1 year later...

Randomly came across this at the New York Museum of the Moving Image, 14 April 2024... 

https://movingimage.org/event/carter-burwell-on-fargo/

(I was actually trying to see whether the similarly named museum in London still existed, it doesn't, but happened across the NYC one and saw this...).