• 3 stars
    • 2 stars
    • 1 star
    • Don't know the score

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i gave the existing recording 3 stars because it is poo. The performance by the orchestra is barely acceptable (lots of noticeable flubs) plus the ambience sounds like they were recorded in a high school gym. It mars any enjoyment of the actual music which is pretty damn fine stuff.

A Kamen historian or collaborator like Shearmur should try to conduct a faithful re-recording of this fine score. Or else give it to Bill Stromberg and co. They are fantastic interpreters of Golden and Silver Age scores.

I'll give a 4. Rousing main theme and a beautiful love theme that Kamen actually turned into a decent song.

Would really love an expanded release.

Not only a good score, but when I first heard it in the theater, I went directly to a CD shop and picked up his Sax Concerto (which I highly recommend). Sure, there have been times that I went directly from the theater to the CD shop to pick up the score of the movie I'd just seen, but this was the only time I went and specifically got something else by the composer of the film score I just saw.

I wish his Symphony would get a better recording, too.

Would really love an expanded release.

I'm not positive, but didn't I hear somewhere that the special edition DVD has an isolated score?

The main title is one of the greatest pieces of film music I ever heard. It was actually an early inspiration on my journey toward film score fandom. The rest is good but not nearly on that level. I'd go 3.5 if that was an option, but since the main titles are so good I'll go 4.

3.5. Not having half stars available, it gets the 3. Wonderful themes, thin orchestrations (despite over 10 listed orchestrators) additionally emphasised by the dry sound, and overall not that interesting aside from the themes. I prefer Kamen's work with Pink Floyd & Gilmour. :wave:

4! I'd do 4.5 if it were possible. I LOVE this score. Horn players all over the world rejoiced when this score came out. It's SO fun! Everyone's mentioned the main titles, which of course are fabulous, but I love the fanfare at the end when Richard comes back.