Home Alone 2...

Eplicon

Didn't could I! Home Alone was available in the early 90's at a local store that as closed a few years ago. That was a great cd store, where I got one of the rarities in my collection: The Accidental Tourist.

Home Alone 2 I had to order and wait for it for a long time... but the song album is still available... I remeber seing it recently.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I COULD go on and say what I really think about this expansion, but I'll probably get thrown off the board, so I'll phrase myself diplomatically:

HOME ALONE 2 is a wonderful score. I love the original album. :)

Yeah, yeah, completist chronological order's not generally the most sensible way, yadda, yadda, yadda. Ricard won't throw you off the board, but you can expect his wrath again.

Myself, I think the original album can go to hell, except for the nice little Didier C. Deutch liner notes.

I hope you can respect (but not necessarily share) my view on how scores should be represented on album just as I respect (but not necessarily share) yours. Is that a deal? :)

Oh, well.  The current album did leave off many a good cue, but I thought the first movie needed expanding more than the second.

Agreed.

But I think Sony Classical is the owner of the rights of the first Home Alone score. ROTFLMAO:(:(

I have to disagree. The second Home Alone film was in much more need of a rerelease than the first film. Reason being that the second album was just in poorer shape. The OST for Home Alone is missing roughly 12 minutes of music, and many of the cues are isolated, with not THAT much mixing of cues. Yes, it's a shame that such cues like Making the Plane and The Attack On The House were butchered, but overall, I'm happy with the OST. Home Alone 2 was a an entire different manner. There's almost 40 minutes of unreleased music, and any problem that the OST that Home Alone had was tripled with the Home Alone 2 album. Butchered cues, out of order cues, and melding of cues out of order was much more frequent on the second film's album. Just my opinion.

I have to disagree. The second Home Alone film was in much more need of a rerelease than the first film. Reason being that the second album was just in poorer shape. The OST for Home Alone is missing roughly 12 minutes of music, and many of the cues are isolated, with not THAT much mixing of cues. Yes, it's a shame that such cues like Making the Plane and The Attack On The House were butchered, but overall, I'm happy with the OST.  Home Alone 2 was a an entire different manner. There's almost 40 minutes of unreleased music, and any problem that the OST that Home Alone had was tripled with the Home Alone 2 album. Butchered cues, out of order cues, and melding of cues out of order was much more frequent on the second film's album. Just my opinion.

A pretty darn well substantiated opinion if you ask me.

I hope you can respect (but not necessarily share) my view on how scores should be represented on album just as I respect (but not necessarily share) yours. Is that a deal?  :)

No, I have no respect whatsoever for divergent opinions. I am consumed by my own dogmaticism.

...Oh wait, I'm not Dan Hobgood. Sorry about that.

Sure, it's a deal, Thor.

As much as I love the alternate 'Arrival In New York' on the original release, it's great to now finally have the actual film version with that excellent and exciting Trumpet outburst!

ps Anybody listen to the sound clip of the alternate 'Holiday Flight'? Is it just me or does it sound like an excerpt from one of Williams zany '60's comedy scores? Bizarre cue!

'John Goldfarb: Please Come Home' - a classic! ROTFLMAO

'John Goldfarb: Please Come Home' - a classic!  ROTFLMAO

This the kind of release where I draw the line even as a Williams completist.

K.M.

You said it KM! At least 'Guide For The Married Man' has a couple of decent (and listenable) tracks IMO. John Goldfarb will collect dust on my shelf unfortunately.

No, I have no respect whatsoever for divergent opinions.  I am consumed by my own dogmaticism.

...Oh wait, I'm not Dan Hobgood.  Sorry about that.

Sure, it's a deal, Thor.

That's great. If you wanna discuss this, I'm all for it. If not, that's OK, too. It's not like I have an URGE to stir this place up... ROTFLMAO If you're interested in reading a more developed view on WHY I think film music works best for me in a non-complete, non-chronological fashion, though, let me forward you to the last part of my three-part essay "Film Music Ex Narratio" - it's at http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/articles/2..._Conclusion.asp - towards the bottom. Perhaps you've read it already. My logic is not perfect, but I hope I have a point.

In Holland you are not allowed to listen to Christmas music before December 5th anyway, due to this other bearded man with red coat, so that's no problem for me. ;)

This is a good soundtrack. Finally, a good treatment. I will have more of a review later, but I have homework to do.

Quick thought - of all the people that got it already, were yours numbered on the back, because mine wasn't. Just wonderin.

-St. Yodes

An absolute amazing presentation! If anyone is thinking "oh...it's Home Alone 2..I can pass" is saldly mistaken. Great music, great sound and by definition, a classic Williams score.

Thankyou Varese...another amazing job :)

Jamesyboy-listening disc 1, track 7 right NOW!

Well just got mine today-lucky for me my room mate was home to sign for UPS, otherwise I'd NEVER get the score... but anyway, besides the fact that I think it was unnecessary for this score to get a rerelease, it does sound terrific compared to the old version. The old version did comprise a great representation of the score as a whole, but the new cd contains the neat music for the arrival in NY... I havent made it to the 2nd cd yet, but I am anxious to hear the alternate of "Holiday Flight"...

Anyone else get this yet?

John F

Mine came today (as did the other CDs I ordered with it). It's a nice release, good production & liner notes by Michael Matessino, and does have a richer sound than the older release. The unreleased material is pretty nice, and I was especially looking for the intro bit of "Arrival in New York" that previously was only heard in the film. It's very Leonard Bernstein-esque in style (and he pretty definied that New York sound).

But I'll still hold on the old album, since I still like some of the album tracks (i.e., two separate cues segued into one -- i.e., "Plaza Hotel and Duncan's Toy Store").

The new release is definitely worth it for completists, although I'm not sure how often I'll listen to it. :music:

Is there any kind of re-release for the first Home Alone score?

Nope, but this new Home Alone 2 disc set is great. My copy showed up today, and I've listened to the whole thing already. I never had the first release, but this music is really good.

Neil

I've listened to this set about 6-7 times since last week and it is a great score! This is not one to be missed!! GET IT!!

Jamesyboy - NP: The Chamber of Secrets (awesome track)

Well Marian I thought they sent shipping notifications by e-mail I think they did with the Fury but I haven't gotten one from them for Home Alone 2 and well I checked it's status on the Varese site and it says it was shipped so Who knows!

Brian99_1 - Whiteout - (Die Another Day)

I received my copy today from Colosseum Germany. They didn't sent any shipping notification, so I was little surprised when i reveived my copy.

I think it's wonderful!

:) "Somewhere in my Memory"

Oh, order status on their website - I didn't know they had something like that. Sadly, my order still says "in process". I ordered from Varese instead of Colosseum this time, because they were about $10 cheaper for just the HA2 album.

Just got the score today.

One word - AMAZING.

I loved it. Without a doubt, this is the best expansion a Williams score has had yet. All the music in chronological order, unused cues, souce cues, alternates, concert pieces - you name it, this set had it.

There were two cues that I looked the most forward to hearing when I got the CD. The first was the unreleased portion of "Arrival In New York." The music is brilliant here, and explodes into the speakers broad and loud. The other was "End Title," which features a beautiful rendition of "Somewhere In My Memory" and ends the film on a perfect note. The alternate and source cues were great, as well as interesting, to hear.

The sound quality of the new set is crisp and clear, easily surpassing that of the original. Having the music in chronological order makes for a whole new listening experience, as you can also hear flourishes from opening/closing notes that were lost in the mixing process on the OST.

The liner notes by Michael Mattessino are very informative and tell a great deal about the score. However, because this IS a comedy and "family" film, Mattessino must've felt the need to write the notes in more of a "lighthearted" manner instead of a "professional" manner. The notes are good, but comments like "uh I mean" and "Boy is it ever!" stood out a little bit. Obviously, the notes were geared toward a younger audience as well. The notes also include quotes and stills from the film.

All in all, do not let this set simply pass you by. It's one of Williams' greats, and a great Christmas album. Nuff said. :)

Williams expands on much of the original material with variations and new orchestrations. Plus he also introduces a lot of nice new material, too. I'd say it is a very good sequel score a la Jaws 2 for a film that wasn't as good as its predecessor. And Williams did a very nice arrangement of traditional Christmas music.

and I was especially looking for the intro bit of "Arrival in New York" that previously was only heard in the film.  It's very Leonard Bernstein-esque in style (and he pretty definied that New York sound) :)

Actually, it's a Gershwin sound. His unique sound is very much identified with New York, which Bernstein was highly influenced. When I saw the movie for the first time, I wanted this cue so much because Williams' succeeded so well in creating the sound, but at the same time, it's still Williams' through and through.