What Happened to the Music?

Lurker

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm. This means there's either a version of the movie surviving somewhere in the vaults without music, meaning the isolated score is sitting beside it on the next shelf...or they just muted the sequence, and added the corresponding sound effects.

Either way, it'd be a great card to get.

Hmmm. This means there's either a version of the movie surviving somewhere in the vaults without music, meaning the isolated score is sitting beside it on the next shelf...

Shame the only official unreleased music from this movie is the cairo source music, the idol temple snippet and the original mummy cave.

Now if it was a video from TOD or LC...that would be more interesting :lol:

I wonder if there are sound design enthusiasts who would be as excited over an isolated effects track as we get for iso scores.

Probably. That explains why some CDs were sold with nothing but special effects sounds, like half of the Generations albums.

Shame the only official unreleased music from this movie is the cairo source music, the idol temple snippet and the original mummy cave.

And the other version of the cue when he goes through the wall, as well.

It's the DCC track 1, isn't it?

Doesn't sound like it to me, but I could be mistaken.

No, it's the recording of "The Raiders March" from "The Indiana Jones Trilogy" with the City of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Nic Raine.

Neil

No, it's the recording of "The Raiders March" from "The Indiana Jones Trilogy" with the City of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Nic Raine.

Neil

At normal speed?

I just recently got this cue, and that's why it sounded familiar but different from the DCC-concord that i'm much more accustomed to it.

Yeah, definitely not the DCC version. Right key, but too fast. Plus it has the initial C major chord in the strings underneath the ostinato, which is not heard in the Raiders version. There's kind of a lot of reverb, too. Sounds like it could be Prague. I'm not familiar with any of their Indiana Jones recordings, though. EDIT: I've been beaten to the punch. Glad to know I was at least right. :lol:

At normal speed?

In my quick informal estimation, yes. It sounds the same to me.

I don't feel like getting all analytical on this, but if they just ripped the CD to get the audio for this there shouldn't be any speed changes.

Neil

Well just look at any DVD featurette regard. the sound design, it will show all the movie scenes without music (no I dont think that the featurettes were done before the music was even recorded)

what is yo special abou that? whats so interesting about the fact that there is a version without music??

Call me crazy, but there's something eerily powerful about this scene without music. You almost appreciate the true danger of it even more. JW has chosen to use silence over sound in odd spots a number of times in his career, and I could easily see this being one of them. The bare pairing of the rolling boulder and Indy's panting make it almost more intense.

The music puts it just over the top enough to tell us, "don't worry if it's silly - we promise you'll enjoy it nonetheless."

That's exactly how I felt about the whole film, though I'm not sure how responsible the music was for that. My brain knew the film had problems. But my heart didn't care, and I had a great time as a result.

Call me crazy, but there's something eerily powerful about this scene without music. You almost appreciate the true danger of it even more. JW has chosen to use silence over sound in odd spots a number of times in his career, and I could easily see this being one of them. The bare pairing of the rolling boulder and Indy's panting make it almost more intense.

I see your point, but wouldn't that have made this scene too climactic for so early in the movie? Perhaps if there hadn't been music during The Miracle of the Ark it would have been more intense.... oh wait, the music MAKES that scene! :D

I see your point, but wouldn't that have made this scene too climactic for so early in the movie? Perhaps if there hadn't been music during The Miracle of the Ark it would have been more intense.... oh wait, the music MAKES that scene! ;)

Good point, yes the super-intense moments that are done without music are usually pivotal moments near the end (i.e. Jurassic Park, Star Wars IV) and it would definitely feel weird to have this opening scene left unscored now that I think about it.