The OSCAR Thread

Bowie

Hey, I hope nobody minds if I jinx it. Nominations are announced in 40 minutes but I'm pretty sure I won't have to change the title of this thread :lol::devil:

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I may be alone here...but I find this thread to be rather unhelpful at this point. A bunch of people have interest in it, and it's not particularly nice to have this waiting for them.

Williams' 46th nomination will have to wait.

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

Alexandre Desplat

Defiance

James Newton Howard

Milk

Danny Elfman

Slumdog Millionaire

A.R. Rahman

WALL-E

Thomas Newman

Interesting to note that Dark Knight got Ledger in and most of the technical noms (all except for music, song and costumes), but no writer/director/picture.

Indeed it looks like another 'funny-sounding' foreign name will be selected for the Best Score Oscar this year.

If I ever get into film music, thank God my last name is "Bouwmeester".

Those are great, great score nominations (with the exception of the Indian club music album). I really would be happy for any of those other four gentlemen to win. And despite my idolatrous love of the Maestro, Indy IV didn't deserve to be nominated.

Wait. What am I saying? Since when did I care what the Academy thinks?? How did I get swept up in this again!?

Pleasantly surprising music noms actually. No Dark Knight; Slumdog and Button in (as expected), and I will maintain respect for the yet unheard Milk.

I think it'll be Desplat, but then Wall-E is really popular, Slumdog will confuse everyone with the songs vs score issue, Milk is all controversial and political (which everyone loves), and Defiance I'd consider the dark horse, attached to a movie I've heard good things about.

Edit - I just noticed Slumdog has dual song nominations, which is good news for Newman, either if they vote for Slumdog's score (hence give the song to someone else), or if it's just a split vote. Just my pseudo-political speculation :devil:

Maestro - I know what you mean. Funny thing is, most of the time I do look down with a 'mehhh' on the oscars, but for just that one night, it's pretty cool to watch, especially if someone you admire finally gets some recognition, for whatever reason.

Hey- that's what happened both last year and the year before. Multiple song nominations for Dreamgirls and Enchanted gave another movie the win (and last year, the song that one was actually very good!). I'm happy my own country's film was nominated, naturally. Surprised the Wanted got in. Very surprised, even if it is for sound. Happy In Bruges got at least some respect. Outraged that Sally Hawkins wasn't nominated for best actress.

Rahman will probably take it for score. Though sympathy for Button may give Desplat the (most deserving) win. Newmas is the dark horse. Howard hasn't a shot in hell. Elfman...there's a very slim possibility that he might get Milk sympathy in the event of a Slumdog win.

Nothing for KotCS, that's awesome. The Academy does have some taste after all. Downey Jr. for Best Supporting Actor, that was a surprise. I'm sure they are trying to attract more interest with the general public with this nomination, not that it wasn't deserved.

Nothing for KotCS, that's awesome. The Academy does have some taste after all. Downey Jr. for Best Supporting Actor, that was a surprise. I'm sure they are trying to attract more interest with the general public with this nomination, not that it wasn't deserved.

I'm sure not. Giving The Dark Knight a nomination would be doing that. Downey gave a great performance, a unique and unprecedented one.

I'm happy my own country's film was nominated, naturally.

And there's a (small) chance for two years in a row Oscars for Austria. Although admittedly I haven't even seen Die Fälscher yet.

Williams not getting a nomination isn't something I can criticise.

Another slap in the face to Williams' Indiana Jones scores. None at all got the recognition they should have. The 'higher quality' OT didnt won ever, and the newer installment did not get its deserved nomination.

Will they nominate Williams in the future? Maybe they dont want him surpassing Alfred Newman, as they didnt want titanic and ROTK to win more oscars than Ben hur and Gone with the wind?

I suspect TDK will get all the tech awards since it did not get many of the important ones but nevertheless it has to end being a top-awarded movie (even if it wins on undeserved categories...)

With many of the popular big box office wins lately, I thought these awards were money driven. Indy was 2nd top grosser worldwide and it doesnt get a thing...

What a nefastous day. First a silly 0,1 kph car-headbutt (thankfully with not a single scratch on neither car - but the 'OMFG-heartattack' happened anyway), then since it rains a lot i cannot work in the field and i have to go to the boring office. While returning i get a big nail in a tire and I have to call the garage, and now this... :devil:

Go Penelope!

and Iron Man...

Marc, any chance you can rename this to the Oscar thread to avoid yet more dull and unending KOTCS arguments?

I haven't seen most of the nominated movies, or listened to scores, so there's nothing that I really have a vested interest in. Although it would have been nice for TDK or Hellboy II to have made more of a splash.

Thankfully the Academy didn't insult Williams with a token nomination for a mediocre score. And they wisely ignored KOTCS and didn't nominate any of it.

I'm actually glad they gave Downy an Oscar nomination for his role in Tropic Thunder. I don't care about any PC gripe but he was hilarious and did a fine job.

Nice to see The Dark Knight get some recognition, I will admit I'm somewhat suprised it was left out of Directing and Best Picture nods.

Another slap in the face to Williams' Indiana Jones scores. None at all got the recognition they should have. The 'higher quality' OT didnt won ever, and the newer installment did not get its deserved nomination.

Will they nominate Williams in the future? Maybe they dont want him surpassing Alfred Newman, as they didnt want titanic and ROTK to win more oscars than Ben hur and Gone with the wind?

I suspect TDK will get all the tech awards since it did not get many of the important ones but nevertheless it has to end being a top-awarded movie (even if it wins on undeserved categories...)

With many of the popular big box office wins lately, I thought these awards were money driven. Indy was 2nd top grosser worldwide and it doesnt get a thing...

What a nefastous day. First a silly 0,1 kph car-headbutt (thankfully with not a single scratch on neither car - but the 'OMFG-heartattack' happened anyway), then since it rains a lot i cannot work in the field and i have to go to the boring office. While returning i get a big nail in a tire and I have to call the garage, and now this... :devil:

Go Penelope!

and Iron Man...

It's not a slap to the face, and when have the Oscars ever been about top grossing films? You're just mad because Indy 4 didn't get any noms, which it doesn't deserve any.

I was surprised that Danny Elfman got a nom, completely undeserved. I was also surprised that James Newton Howard got one too. Doesn't really matter, A.R. Rahman is going to win.

I was pleasantly surprised that The Reader got a lot of nominations, and not so that Revolutionary Road basically got nothing.

Luke, none of this was going through the minds of the Academy. I seriously doubt that anyone knows about Alfred Newman's Oscar nominations outside of the music branch. Williams wasn't getting a snub, Indy was and rightfully so. Indy 4 wasn't as good as other summer blockbuster movies and definitely sub-par compared to Iron Man, its most direct competition at the box office. I thought Indy would, at the very least, get a sound editing nom or something. I'm glad to see that they didn't feel obligated to recognize a Spielberg film.

I'm a little disappointed that Revolutionary Road didn't get many noms. I actually haven't seen it yet, but I really liked the book, the previews look great and I plan on seeing it very soon.

I'm a little disappointed that Revolutionary Road didn't get many noms. I actually haven't seen it yet, but I really liked the book, the previews look great and I plan on seeing it very soon.

I'm disappointed too, it's my favorite film of the year.

Not really when a piece of poo movie like Benjamin buttons gets 13, oh well, I'm going to hope that its as successful as the Color Purple or Julia.

I'd say I'd root for Slumdog Millionaire but I've not seen it yet.

The Dark Knight was ten times the movie that CCOBB was, what a shame it was not recognised.

I predict low ratings.

I was surprised that Danny Elfman got a nom, completely undeserved.

Quite the contrary. Not only is Milk one of his best works in many years, but also it's one of the best last-year Hollywood scores. It deserved to get the nomination, it deserves to win.

Doesn't really matter, A.R. Rahman is going to win.

Unfortunately, you're right.

The only other score nominee I've heard is WALL-E, and I definitely would have nominated IJ 4 over that. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice little score - nice enough for me to buy without guilt and enjoy from time to time, but it works a lot better in the film than on album for me. IJ 4 may not be my very favorite John Williams score, but I still like it better than most of the other scoring that I hear from other composers these days. Haven't heard the other nominees, though.

Luke, none of this was going through the minds of the Academy. I seriously doubt that anyone knows about Alfred Newman's Oscar nominations outside of the music branch.

That was just some 'oh my! there is a conspiration' joke

With all the crap that has gone in the oscars, i just didnt mind Williams getting a nomination, or even a win. It's not like it has to be fair JUST for Williams...

And i liked the movie and score, so I'm as dissapointed as the next man whose favourite movie has not get any or its deserved recognition. (ie TDK followers)

I'm fine with the score nominees - Williams shouldn't be getting the nod just because of who he is. As much fun as KOTCS can be at times (I do enjoy it) - the score is hardly original. It feels more like a patchwork of the older scores that is holding the new material together. And besides...the WotW quote in it? Oy!

It didn't deserve the nomination honestly.

Why do we need honesty for Williams? :roll:

After all Babel was nominated. And won.

I wouldnt mind an error like that occur to williams. Specially in this case since he never won for indy (and always lost for lesser scores)

And i want to watch williams getting the price 'live' for once in my life...

Why do we need honesty for Williams? :roll:

After all Babel was nominated. And won.

I wouldnt mind an error like that occur to williams. Specially in this case since he never won for indy (and always lost for lesser scores)

And i want to watch williams getting the price 'live' for once in my life...

True enough. Had this been written the same year as Babel I would have thrown a fit if it weren't nominated!

Interesting that TDK didn't get a nomination, after all the fuss it caused.

And if BB wins for Best Picture...I will not be happy.

it got several nominations(8 actually), just none of the 5 majors.

The most heart felt moment will be when Ledger wins.

I haven't seen most of the nominated movies, or listened to scores, so there's nothing that I really have a vested interest in.

Neither Slumdog Millionaire nor Benjamin Button are out here yet, so I've seen neither, but I'm interested in both (or anything coming from Fincher and Boyle), so the nominations look rather exciting to me.

I'm sad for the lack of a directing nom for Christopher Nolan, he really deserved it. KOTCS was never a likely nominee for best score, although in all fairness, it deserves it by a mile, IMHO.

Wow, talk about disagreements. I think that while DK is a good movie, there's nothing really great about it, apart from Ledger's performance which I think definitely deserves an oscar.

There are a few tracks from KotCS which may be award worthy, but as a whole, I don't think there's anything innovative or clever about it, not to mention the horrifically blatant WotW rip.

Indiana Jones never got the recogition they deserved?

oh no, its only one of the most well known pieces on earth. Why cares for this golden statue? a good work is a good work, it doesn't need endless prices.

Indiana Jones never got the recogition they deserved?

oh no, its only one of the most well known pieces on earth. Why cares for this golden statue? a good work is a good work, it doesn't need endless prices.

mmm NONE is not endless prizes.

One oscar for indy would have been nice, be it Raiders (the most deserving) or any of the other three.

Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is so much better a score than Defiance it's not even funny. I know how the Academy rolls, however, and I accept it. Slumdog Millionaire for the win!

Out of the Best Picture noms, I've only seen Millionaire, which was very good. I've heard Milk is excellent and it is the only other film in the list I really want to see as a priority. I have Benjamin Button in storage, waiting to be viewed and I will see to it eventually.

The Academy has officially shot themselves in the foot. Last year's ceremony was their lowest rated in like 30 years, and with them doing the painfully predictable thing of nominating a Holocaust movie for Best Picture instead of a crowd pleaser (and great film) TDK it looks as if this year's will continue the trend.

As far as the Best Score category goes, I'm neither surprised nor interested. I would have liked Williams to be nominated again honestly, even though I doubt he would have won.

I'm fine with the score nominees - Williams shouldn't be getting the nod just because of who he is. As much fun as KOTCS can be at times (I do enjoy it) - the score is hardly original. It feels more like a patchwork of the older scores that is holding the new material together. And besides...the WotW quote in it? Oy!

I disagree. In the past, it's often been said that Williams, even at his most prosaic, still beggars comparison. I think that remains true today, particularly in as weak a year as 2008 was for mainstream film scoring. And the War of the Worlds "quote," by the way, is to me one the score's highlights -- the ostinato may be naggingly familiar, but Williams puts its propulsive quality to tremendous effect as the piece builds to a dazzling climax that ultimately recalls little of "The Intersection Scene."

jw_jg_oscarscopy-1.jpg

:)