'Star Wars' - the classical soundtrack

MSM

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I forgot... the Rebel fanfare is from Dukas' Sorcerer's Apprentice.

We already had found the source of the Rebel Fanfare:

'The Throne Room' from The Sea Hawk (Korngold).

You, know I never noticed, nor agree that there is any sort of Mars reference. The Dune Sea/Stravinsky part is modelled but not the Mars.

I think that there is flawed logic in that if something sounds similar that it was used as a reference.

I've even been asked why I quoted this or that in a piece I composed, but it just came from my mind. I really think that most of these are a huge stretch.

You can never tell when a piece of music has been modelled on another, but the likelihood increases with the number of similar elements. In most of these cases, the similar elements are very low.

Hasn't JW said that The Planets were an inspiration?

He didn't think there were any noticable similarities when asked about it in the Berkshires interview I attended, more of a goal of evoking a climactic military feeling (all the rhythms in Mars and Star WARS are based on military drum rhythms). I think that if it was temped, it is so different that no comparison is very appropriate. Certainly no striking resemblance given the the very low number of unique elements in common. The first time I heard about it was from classicist Williams detractors, although I had been very familiar with both pieces and made no note of similarities. Whether temped or not, I believe the rumor spread from the classical music world, bent on protecting their world from commercialization.

I would say that Mars and Star Wars share the subject of WAR in common, and also the pallette of a full orchestra, and so 2 composers developed similar solutions with those given variables.

Now Mars and Gladiator have many unique elements in common. But not Mars and Star Wars.

Hasn't JW said that The Planets were an inspiration?

He didn't think there were any noticable similarities when asked about it in the Berkshires interview I attended, more of a goal of evoking a climactic military feeling (all the rhythms in Mars and Star WARS are based on military drum rhythms). I think that if it was temped, it is so different that no comparison is very appropriate. Certainly no striking resemblance given the the very low number of unique elements in common. The first time I heard about it was from classicist Williams detractors, although I had been very familiar with both pieces and made no note of similarities. Whether temped or not, I believe the rumor spread from the classical music world, bent on protecting their world from commercialization.

I would say that Mars and Star Wars share the subject of WAR in common, and also the pallette of a full orchestra, and so 2 composers developed similar solutions with those given variables.

Now Mars and Gladiator have many unique elements in common. But not Mars and Star Wars.

Anyway, there has been a temporary soundtrack to SW. We are trying to find out the cues. There is no other way than to look for similar cues of composers of whom it is known that they were used in the temp track (Holst, Walton, Rosza).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think the middle section of The Throne Room is not directly inspired by Elgar (Land of Hope and Glory), but by Walton's 'March and Music for Siegfried' from Batttle of Britain, which seems to be inspired by Elgar.

A rip off of a rip off?

It's certainly not a rip off but inspired on. Melody and orchestration are much more similar to the Walton than to the Elgar.

I always thought, that "The Force Theme" is a very close cousin to the minor part of Siegfrieds Call, from Wagners ring

I'll check it :D

But I was actually referring to the middle section of Throne Room. Or weren;t you reacting to that?

I always thought, that "The Force Theme" is a very close cousin to the minor part of Siegfrieds Call, from Wagners ring

I can hear what you're talking about...but the two motives go in such different directions that I don't really think its was anything purposeful.

I can hear what you're talking about...but the two motives go in such different directions that I don't really think its was anything purposeful.

I hear it too, but it's only the first few notes that remind vaguely of The Force Theme, IMO.

Oh come on... The Force Theme is cleary inspired by Black Sunday Theme! ;)

wow Lool what I have foun:

http://www.trell.org/wagner/starwars.html

many of them are pretty far fetched, and I obviously dont believe williams did even go back to the Ring and base his material for SW on the motifs

Very interesting though...

Haha, I dunno. Too far fetched in most cases.

Btw, I found the main theme from Battle of the Heroes including choir and all in 'Miracle and Finale' of Miklos Rosza's Ben Hur.

people have to relkax and realise that this is not done to downplay williams work, not atall. It is just fun searching for parallels - in fact I listened to alot of music where I had a socalled "Star Wars Moment" :rolleyes:

in this particular case, since we kow the movie was heavily temp-tracked it should nto matter much.

In fact it enhances the craftmanship of Johh Williams, who managed to do an original masterpiece piecing every patch together in a cohesive form.

Exactly. It's a way of enjoying classical music!

You can hear The Imperial March in Elgar's Symphony No.1 2nd Movement

I can hear what you mean but it's too far away from each other IMO...

All I know is I saw a Youtube video in the vain of this thread which said something to the effect of "Listen to classical music, not movie music" and it steamed me pretty good. I'm still upset about that.

They're idiots, just ignore 'm.

• 11 months later...

I'm sorry for reviving such an old and controversial topic, but I recently found a fun comparison between the Star Wars theme and the Intermezzo from Puccini's opera "Manon Lescaut". Listen the following link from 5:00 to the end...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJ06-y3ErjY

The comparison makes me smile like an idiot, I don't know exactly why, but it does.

This similarity has been pointed out before, but appears to be more incidental compared to The Main Title of King's Row (Korngold).

I have once written an arrangement for my University Orchestra where the Puccini piece is cued into the actual Star Wars Main Title, and then through some bars from Dvorak's 9th symphony into the Imperial March :eek:

• 5 years later...

Then there's the short Psycho bit on the Death Star. But I think we've listed most of the recogniseable "suggestions" now.

When I was a little kid that part always blew me away. Then I found out who Bernard Herrmann was. It still blows me away only now I know where it came from.

-Main Title - The King's Row Main Title (Korngold)

-'Rebel Blockade Runner' - The Plantes, Mars - Holst (the first ff tutti build up, and the final brass chords!!)

-'Stormtrooper Motiv' - The Planets, Mars - Tuba Solo in the middle

Stormtrooper Motif- Swan Lake Overture- (Tchaikovsky)

Doesn't it say in the anthology booklet that Lucas asked for something which sounded like Land of Hope and Glory, for The Throne Room?

Middle section of 'Throne Room': Land of Hope and Glory (Elgar)

smile.gif

Land Of Hope and Glory AKA "Pomp and Circumstance" AKA The Graduation March.

Ol' Johnny blew Georges expectations out of the park with THE THRONE ROOM which easily surpasses LoHaG in musical intent.

Well the Concert Version of Here they come - starts like Ride of the Valkyres (Wagner) tongue.gif

Not even close.....

Obvious one this, but the destruction of the Death Star sounds like the ending of Mars: The Bringer of War.

You need to do some re-listening to the Destruction Of The Death Star.

I am also pretty sure of the following:

- 'Han Solo and the Princess': Love theme from Romeo and Julia (Tschaikovsky).

It's only inspiration in this case, but IMO the counterpoint reveals it obviously. Check for yourself:

http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=9VMCiewc7mE&...feature=related

yes the two-note figure is pure tschaikovsy.. but the theme is actually

Days of Wine and Roses (only the beginning)

Han Solo And The Princess - Princess Leia's Theme.

Both consist of 6th intervals at the beginning.

I actually don't have a recording and haven't heard it in years. But the first three notes (repeated twice) of the Rebel fanfare pop up quite frequently.

What's wrong with Youtube?