When was the last time you watched these JW-scored movies?

Josh500

Star Wars (A New Hope)

Jaws

E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial

Schindler's List

And I mean not just a scene or a few scenes, but in their entirety.

I'm ashamed to say, it's been such a long time (at least 2 years) I don't really remember...

I should watch them again. On the other hand, I've watched HP:SS, all the Indy movies, Saving Private Ryan recently. :D

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Star Wars: February 24th, 2008

Jaws: January 7th, 2009

E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial: June 1st, 2008

Schindler's List: Unknown (2006 at the latest)

- Marc, who's never seen Fiddler on the Roof.

Star Wars (A New Hope)

Hard to say...it's been quite a long while since I watched the whole thing totally straight through, but it's been no longer than a year since I've watched part of it, I think.

Jaws

Summer of 2008.

Eesh...that's been a while. A few years.

Schindler's List

Never.

Star Wars: February 24th, 2008

Jaws: January 7th, 2009

E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial: June 1st, 2008

Schindler's List: Unknown (2006 at the latest)

- Marc, who's never seen Fiddler on the Roof.

Wow, I didn't expect that! How about the exact time of the day? :P:lol:

Schindler's List

Never.

Why haven't you seen Schindler's List yet? :blink: Are you planning to see it?

Star Wars (A New Hope)

About 10 years ago.

Jaws

A year or so.

When the DVD came out.

Schindler's List

Why would I just watch a single scene?

Why haven't you seen Schindler's List yet? :blink: Are you planning to see it?

I'm sure I will eventually...just never really got around to it.

For enjoyment or education, I would assume.

Yes, or just to listen to a particular cue as heard in the movie.

And you'd listen to that cue for enjoyment or education! :blink:

Yes, or just to listen to a particular cue as heard in the movie.

And you'd listen to that cue for enjoyment or education! :lol:

Yes. :blink:

Anyway, you should watch Schindler's List. Seriously.

You have never seen "Jaws"? This might feel weird because I am only 15, and you are undoubtedly much older than I am... WATCH IT NOW! Seriously, that film is a masterpiece! How do I know? Because I watched it two nights ago. Okay, question answered.

Star Wars (A New Hope)-At least a year ago, don't watch it that much.

Jaws-Less than a month ago, watch it every couple of months

E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial-Within the last year, don't watch it that much

Schindler's List-Couple months ago, watch it every couple of months

Oh, I guess I should list the others, too.

Star Wars - Last summer.

E.T. - Last week.

Schindler's List- May 22nd of last year. (I remember this because I watched it the day "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" was released)

Star Wars - Last summer and it was the version released on laser disc (transferred to DVD by a friend of mine)

Jaws - While I have seen sections of this on TV over the years, I don't think I've ever watched the whole movie in one sitting

E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial - When it first came out on DVD

Schindler's List - The first showing on opening day in 1993; I haven't felt the need to be put through that kind of emotional ringer since. It was a packed house and when it was over we left it complete silence.

Star Wars - quite recently, surprisingly for me. I think I caught it on tv about two months ago

Jaws - God knows. Probably last week or the week before.

ET - over Xmas. ITV screened it and I got sucked in.

Schindler's List - About three years ago. I have seen it about five times in all.

Star Wars: This past Christmas Eve, I watched up until Obi-Wan was killed. That's over half the movie, so I'll stick with that.

Jaws: Two summers ago.

E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial: It's been at least six years. This movie is not very popular in my house, and my only copy is a mid-80's VHS.

Schindler's List: Never.

Star Wars (A New Hope)

Jaws

Schindler's List

I'm ashamed to say, it's been such a long time (at least 2 years) I don't really remember...

I should watch them again. On the other hand, I've watched HP:SS, all the Indy movies, Saving Private Ryan recently. ;)

Saw Star Wars last year, Jaws and ET in 2007.

Last saw Schindlers List in 1994. Don't plan on watching it every again. A very good movie, but not a film I am entertained by.

Last saw Schindlers List in 1994. Don't plan on watching it every again. A very good movie, but not a film I am entertained by.

I find it fascinating. These days the (powerful) human side of the film tends to pass me by, for the most part. I enjoy viewing it as a masterclass in technical cinema.

Same goes for Jaws, purely technically speaking.

to me its like SPR, another film that I don't want to ever watch again, course its less polished than SL, but I don't enjoy watching excessively violent films repeatedly. I've seen Night and Fog, and I put SL right next to it. It shows something very important. I've seen it, now I don't need to see it again.

I don't want to see ET that often. Its a movie that still moves me quite strongly and I want it to stay that way.

I don't watch Jaws as often as I did because I've found that I can still be surprised by the movie if enough time passes.

Of all the movies, Jaws is the movie that marvels me most on a technical level. Everything about this movie seems to work when it should fall flat on its face. Its a movie that Spielberg needs to watch again. He'd do well to make similar choices again. Less is more

Star Wars

It's been about 8 years.

Jaws

Watched it over the summer

When the DVD set was first released

Schindler's List

It's been a year or so.

Now I've watched quite a few other Williams/ Spielberg films over the past year like CE3K and The Indiana Jones films.

I find myself watching less and less movies, even ones I have on DVD. I don't know if it's because I watched these movies to death when I was younger. During football season I don't watch alot of films and I've been spending more time reading and the Mrs. and I usually prefer to go out and do something instead of sitting in watching films.

I haven't seen Schindler's List since 1994. I saw Jaws, ET and Star Wars (or a movie slightly resembling Star Wars) theatrically in 2007.

I saw a print of Fiddler on the Roof last month.

Last week I watched The Fury on DVD.

Neil

Star Wars - Yesterday (the FANTASTIC Adywan edit!!, the only true Special Edition)

What a missed opportunity. This guy made so many harmless fixes and culled so many of the excesses of the Special Edition, yet he ruined it with useless new shots, poor editing and bastardized music. The Death Star conference scene and the duel between Obi-Wan and Vader are destroyed by that added music. "Battle of the Heroes" in that context? Ridiculous. I also really didn't like the random insertion of TIE Fighter swarms in the final battle accompanied by "The Asteroid Field."

I saw the aforementioned "fan edit" as well as Jaws and Schindler's List within the last year. E.T. I haven't seen since early childhood...

Star Wars - Yesterday (the FANTASTIC Adywan edit!!, the only true Special Edition)

What a missed opportunity. This guy made so many harmless fixes and culled so many of the excesses of the Special Edition, yet he ruined it with useless new shots, poor editing and bastardized music. The Death Star conference scene and the duel between Obi-Wan and Vader are destroyed by that added music. "Battle of the Heroes" in that context? Ridiculous. I also really didn't like the random insertion of TIE Fighter swarms in the final battle accompanied by "The Asteroid Field."

I saw the aforementioned "fan edit" as well as Jaws and Schindler's List within the last year. E.T. I haven't seen since early childhood...

I couldn't disagree more with you I like everything you pointed out ;), the new music added works perfectly, all his decisions were fine, I will watch this instead of any Star Wars version I have at home

It fits much better now with the prequel trilogy, and I know that a lot of people here will say thats the worst thing a film can do... to me it's the best.

I really wouldn't want to waste my time watching some fanboy edit of a major film.

Star Wars was just fine when it was released in 1977.

I couldn't disagree more with you I like everything you pointed out :), the new music added works perfectly, all his decisions were fine, I will watch this instead of any Star Wars version I have at home

It fits much better now with the prequel trilogy, and I know that a lot of people here will say thats the worst thing a film can do... to me it's the best.

Wow, all I can say is wow.

Joe, truly lost for words....

To elaborate upon my observation, which required no further explanation until it rendered Joseph speechless...

Michael Bolton: Yeah, well at least your name isn't Michael Bolton.

Samir: You know there's nothing wrong with that name.

Michael Bolton: There was nothing wrong with it... until I was about 12 years old and that no-talent ass clown became famous and started winning Grammys.

Samir: Hmm... well why don't you just go by Mike instead of Michael?

Michael Bolton: No way. Why should I change? He's the one who sucks.

What George Lucas has done is changed the name of Michael Bolton the singer, just because some whiny software engineer at Initech named Michael Bolton, who came 30 years later, started complaining.

I haven't seen Schindler's List since 1994. I saw Jaws, ET and Star Wars (or a movie slightly resembling Star Wars) theatrically in 2007.

Was ET the 1982 or 2002 cut?

With the exception of looking at a few scenes to see what the CGI E.T. looked like, I haven't even bothered to watch the 2002 version.

I did listen to the live performance of Williams' score.

1982, with the "terrorist" line cut. So I guess it was the 1988 home video version. But no CGI and guns aplenty!

That was from '88? Interesting. I did not know that.

I saw that version broadcast once. I thought it was some sort of compromise. Not show the meddled with 20th AE, but still avoid references to terrorists.

Sort of like how the Libyans mysteriously disappeared from Back to the Future for a while in 2001/2002.

Star Wars (A New Hope)

Sometime last fall when I decided to watch the Original Trilogy in a three day period.

Jaws

It's been many years since I've seen this one. I've never cared for Shark movies.

It's a been years since I've seen this as well. I plan to buy it on DVD, hopefully it gets a Blu-Ray release one day.

Schindler's List

Never seen it, doubt I ever will.

1982, with the "terrorist" line cut. So I guess it was the 1988 home video version. But no CGI and guns aplenty!

Neil

Hmmm. They struck new film prints with that line cut? Seems weird

It's been many years since I've seen this one. I've never cared for Shark movies.

Tell me about it, I stopped visiting my local movie rental store because I was sick of all the shark movies taking up shelf space. Once you have seen one shark movie you have seen 'em all.

Schindler's List

Never seen it, doubt I ever will.

Can I ask why?

I have watched these films every year since 1994 during the John Williams Film Fest, which takes place on the weekend before or after his birthday. All five of his Oscar-winning pictures are viewed in the privacy of my home, along with the other two in the original SW trilogy. I put "Phantom Menace" and "Attack of the Clones" in there for a couple of years, but nine films in three or four days is too much. Plus, I will never watch "Revenge of the Sith" again, so it was another reason to cut out the prequel trilogy.

Obviously, the 15th annual will be this weekend.

Friday -- Fiddler on the Roof

Saturday -- Star Wars trilogy

Sunday -- Jaws, ET

Monday - Schindler's List