Medal of Honor: Underground (Game)

Pieter Boelen

Medal of Honor: Underground (Michael Giacchino)  

27 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this score?

• 5 stars
    • 4,5 stars
    • 4 stars
    • 3,5 stars
    • 3 stars
    • 2,5 stars
    • 2 stars
    • 1,5 stars
    • 1 stars
    • I'm not familiar with this score

Every few days I will post a thread on a random score from my collection that we can discuss and rate. I made a playlist on my computer with one track of each score I've got, so by using the random play option, I'll be able to post a truly random score each time. Hopefully this will allow us to discuss some scores that would otherwise never be discussed. Also we can record the rating so that we can create a full list of the ratings given to scores by JWFan.com.

Today's score is Medal of Honor: Underground (Game) by Michael Giacchino. Are you familiar with it? What do you like about it? What don't you like about it? How do do you think it works in the game? What are your favourite tracks?

414403QJXZL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

So far JWFan has rated:

See Soundtrack Ratings by JWFan.com.

This web page contains the ratings from all my previous polls as well as those of Blumenkohl's.

Final ratings are converted to a 1-10 rating for both rating systems so that they can be compared.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I give this score a solid 4 stars. The main theme alone is enough for this rating - it's an uplifting, stirring melody that beautifully captures the bravery of the resistance fighters and the female protagonist. The accordion is used sparingly but effectively, something that Giacchino would later elaborate on in his score for Ratatouille which also has an appropriately French flavour.

The rest of the score is just as strong, with incredibly exciting and catchy action tracks and tender moments. Some of the more tense underscore reminds me of 70's-era Williams. The Nazi theme from the first game is given some really great treatment in this score, particularly in one of my favourite tracks ("Passage to Iraklion").

I definitely see this score as the middle of a troligy - the first being Medal of Honor and the third being Medal of Honor: Frontline. The ideas Giacchino bring over from the first score are elaborated upon and treated well, while the new ideas (such as the exhilirating, Last Crusade-esque action themes and children's choir in the reflective moments) are constructed solidly, to be fully realised and matured in Frontline.

I definitely recommend this score to any film score fan, and particularly to fans of Williams (and Giacchino, obviously). It's not Michael's most original score - only bursts of the score offer a glimpse of his now unique style - but the influences are from the best moments in film scores (particularly JW's) so it's definitely worth a listen. Try it out along with the other three MG Medal of Honor scores worth buying - Medal of Honor, Frontline and Ariborne.

I'll go for 4,5 stars. It's my least favourite Medal of Honor score, but it's still very good with many stand-out tracks.

Most notably the first track is very beautiful and I wished the, what I presume to be a theme of some kind,

in the second half of the track was used more in the rest of the score.

Ugh, who on earth put 1 star? If you haven't heard the score, at least admit it. I refuse to believe anyone who has heard it would think it that bad.
That's the exact same thing I've been wondering for the past many polls.

There keep being 1 or two 1-star votes for scores that might not be overly impressive, but really don't deserve quite such a low rating. :eek2:

Lee - who does so more often than not in these polls.
I promise there'll be more well-known scores posted soon. ;)
A decent main titles, which is hardly the highlight of the score. The battle/chase theme is superb. Labyrinth Of The Minotaur, The Battle Of Monte Cassino, The Motorcycle Chase... amazing.
Agreed; those three are my favourite tracks as well, together with Panzer Blockade.

Agreed, Quint. Though this is one the cases when I'm definitely sad that's the case...I generally like (or even love!) Giacchino's work, and I've heard this is good stuff in the vein of vintage Williams without being directly plagiaristic.

and I've heard this is good stuff in the vein of vintage Williams without being directly plagiaristic.

It is close to vintage Williams without plagerizing, the only similar thing is the Nazi theme. It reminds me of the LC version.

I give this one a 4.

I like it for it's great use of children's choir and for some of it's themes, but I prefer all of his other MoH scores more.

I'm a Giacchino Fan as the next man, but i think one or two cues in his career could be called plagiarizing.

Labyrinth of the minotaur has the 007 theme. (The incredibles also has, but it may had been forced by the filmakers)

The Motorcycle chase has some Home Alone 2 (to the plaza presto i think - the cue that plays when the badguys pursuit kevin on central park in their 1st re-encounter)

Now, that they are unintentional and the man is truly a genious, its a possibility that i do not throw appart :lol:

He also used the Danger motif in Airborne and SWON. But then that piece may just be 'open source' :lol:

A bit of trivia, the Ratatouille score contains a bit of the Underground theme in "Colette Shows Him Le Ropes" at 2:30. I gave the score 4 stars. Not as fun as the first MOH, but still good.

I really like that little in-joke in Ratatouille. Actually works well with what's on the screen too.

I'm hoping Giacchino will keep putting jokes like that into his scores! :)

I really like that little in-joke in Ratatouille. Actually works well with what's on the screen too.

I'm hoping Giacchino will keep putting jokes like that into his scores! :)

My two favorite cameos are the V2 Rocket theme from MOH heard in The Incredibles and the U-Boat theme from MOH heard in LOST when Locke opens the submarine hatch. Season 3 I think.

-Erik-

I'm hoping Giacchino will keep putting jokes like that into his scores! :D

My two favorite cameos are the V2 Rocket theme from MOH heard in The Incredibles and the U-Boat theme from MOH heard in LOST when Locke opens the submarine hatch. Season 3 I think.

-Erik-

A great one was in Speed Racer, where he added a little Lost for Matthew Fox. I also love the puns he uses, Tilton uses them as well. The best one, which is on the still unreleased Fracture score, is "Kicked In The Hydroballs" :mrgreen: "Jumper? I Hardly Know Her!" is a really good one too.