Your THREE favourite and most precious films.

Quintus

What are yours? I have a rough idea of what some peeps here hold dear to their heart, but I'm interested to know exactly what you guys love more than anything else. Three films which are special to you and a quick (or long and thoughtful) explanation as to why.

My three in NO order are:

Raiders of the Lost Ark. The movie which captured my young imagination like no other. Just so freaking brilliant in every sense.

LotR: The Fellowship of the Ring. When I want that lovely warm feeling inside, I watch this movie and I watch Ian Mckellen (to name one element) spellbind me.

Jaws. Probably the outright coolest movie ever made; this film is as perfectly formed as it gets. It just oozes character and personality. A true icon of cinema.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very hard to say. Raiders is one of them...it accomplishes what it sets out to do so freaking well. (Sorry, but Jaws and FOTR definitely aren't on my list, though FOTR comes closer than either of the sequels.)

I'm trying very hard to look outside the OT, as they are the three movies that I hold as the dearest. But other than that:

BLADE RUNNER

SULLIVAN'S TRAVELS

THE INCREDIBLE SHRINKING MAN

The last one is perhaps interchangeable with THE IRON GIANT.

One thing's certain: My eyes ever-so-slightly bulged in reverence when I noticed Charlie had selected The Iron Giant, since it is indeed a sublime film.

But let the indecisive CHEATING stop here, thanks :)

Of course, my instinct is to put at least one Star Wars film on the list.

What, like you owe it to the franchise or something? Sorry Data, but if it was me I would know in an instant which entry in the saga it would be*.

*ESB...

What, like you owe it to the franchise or something? Sorry Data, but if it was me I would know in an instant which entry in the saga it would be*. *ESB...

Pretty much. :) Yeah, if I had to choose one, it'd probably have to be ESB. But ANH just has so much innocent vitality to it...

Well you can put ESB and ANH, ya know :)

Fine. Straight answer:

STAR WARS

THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK

RETURN OF THE JEDI

Fair enough! Shame you didn't have time to explain why though.

I think it's too hard to pick just three. :):lol:

I mean, I love all the Back To The Future films, all the Indiana Jones films and all the Pirates Of The Caribbean films.

I also like some (not all, but some) of the more serious films such as The Shawshank Redemption or The Green Mile.

But then I have no more room on the list...

Room for one more though...

I think it's too hard to pick just three. :):lol:

I suggested three titles because picking just ONE is near impossible, so if you can't narrow it down to even three, don't post at all :P

Well you can put ESB and ANH, ya know :)
Fine. Straight answer:

STAR WARS

THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK

RETURN OF THE JEDI

Fair enough! Shame you didn't have time to explain why though.

They're the movies I grew up with, the films that introduced me to the combination of beauty, sound and fury that is modern cinema, they have some of the greatest scores in history, and they all feature Chewbacca.

That's one thing about SW, even their background characters are more unique and interesting than a lot of lead characters in other movies.

The Dark Knight(yep :))

C'mon, have some confidence in one of your all time fave movies for Christ's sake. The smilie makes you look like you almost feel guilty for loving it as much as you do.

I haven't reall thought about this in a while. All I can submit is what was my regular answer for years:

The Godfather, Schindler's List & Amadeus. Although particularly recently, I've been far less definitive on the question of all time favorites. Still: the first never failed to sweep me with it's cinematic story-telling from it's first sentence. The second was probably one of the first films that I noticed was written and directed (I think a lot of people have a specific movie that made them realize the directing involved...I know Raiders is that film for a lot of people), and despite misgivings that I may have developed about various elements of it, it still amazes me how great the film is. The third was probably the first movie I entirely fell in love with organically. I think it's practically a perfect movie. I got sick of it after watching it way too many times in a short period, but I know the magic will come back again.

Rather boring choices...but they sounded good to me 5 years ago, and I haven't been abled to come up with something else. I do genuinely love all three.

Not boring choices at all. I would call them passionate choices, which is the aim of the thread.

Can I just ask though; do you love Schindler's List in the same way that you dislike Munich? I'm talking basic themes, of course.

My feelings on the films thematically have almost no common ground. I don't consider my views on SL's themes especially biased, while I am extremely biased and opinionated on Munich's themes. From a technical view-point, though, I feel like SL flows in a way Munich does not, and has a precision to it that I feel Munich lacks. My biggest problem with Munich is intellectual, and I have almost no qualms about the intellect behind SL.

Raiders of the Lost Ark

JAWS

Empire Strikes Back

Doesn't get any better than that for me. Althougth, their newer movies are not as good, I am one who thinks the modern Lucas and Spielberg still deliver that sense of spectacle better than others have. And yes, Williams music has something to do with that.

My feelings on the films thematically have almost no common ground. I don't consider my views on SL's themes especially biased, while I am extremely biased and opinionated on Munich's themes. From a technical view-point, though, I feel like SL flows in a way Munich does not, and has a precision to it that I feel Munich lacks. My biggest problem with Munich is intellectual, and I have almost no qualms about the intellect behind SL.

Thank you for your thoughts. I'm thinking I would most likely disagree with your last sentence, if it revealed a little more, but that is not a conversation for this board, as we both know :)

So anyway...

All the President's Men - The movie shouldn't work but it does.

Jurassic Park - I love Dinosaurs

Master and Commander - Perfect.

My list hasn't changed in 27 years Quint.

E.T. the Extra-terrestrial, Jaws, Superman the Movie.

Quint, when he says Gojira, he means the movie version without Perry Mason.

C'mon, have some confidence in one of your all time fave movies for Christ's sake. The smilie makes you look like you almost feel guilty for loving it as much as you do.

No, I have more than confidence in it. I was more intending it to be like a "F*** all of you who look down on me for it(as I'm sure there are people who do)" type smiley, but I guess that came off poorly.

No, I have more than confidence in it. I was more intending it to be like a "F*** all of you who look down on me for it(as I'm sure there are people who do)" type smiley, but I guess that came off poorly.

Yes it did, if that's the true meaning, especially since quite a few of us here liked the film very much.

Gojira (1954)

I think I've noticed over the years that you adore this. I need to check it out.

Get the BFI edition, it's essential.

I was somewhat disappointed with the Classic Media release, especially after seeing the print Rialto struck for the film when it had the limited run in theatres.

Okay, I just thought of a second one to add to my list. Weird Al's UHF - the funniest movie I have ever seen, no matter how many times I watch it.

Honestly it should be Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi.

With a little bit of cheating:

The Star Wars Trilogy

Annie Hall

A Hard Day's Night

Of course, that leaves out Raiders and Temple... so.... I don't know... three spots are too little

A.I.

It is simply my favorite film ever made. It resonates with me on a very deep, emotional level. I think it features JW's magnum opus, and Spielberg's script and direction lend it an extremely personal touch. I love this movie.

Empire of the Sun

Another Spielberg masterpiece. Incredible acting, heartbreaking score, transporting direction.

E.T.

This one took years to finally hook me, but now I absolutely adore it. It is such a tender, fantastic story. And it is the Maestro's score that makes it fly.

What can I say? I love movies about lonely little boys.

My list hasn't changed in 27 years Quint.

E.T. the Extra-terrestrial, Jaws, Superman the Movie.

:) Admirable choices indeed. Kinda reassuring actually :lol:

From 1975 till 1982, Jaws was my absolute fav. movie ever, as was the soundtrack.

I consider myself fortunate to have finally met Roy Schieder, when I waited on him at B&N, I did not introduce myself or admit I was an adoring fan. Even close to death and frail, he was Chief Brody, smile you....

I am glad to see that some of you put Amadeus on the list. Terrific movie, one of my favourite too.

Here are my choices:

Empire Strikes Back

Amadeus

Basic Instinct ex aequo with Raiders of the Lost Ark (I really cannot make up my mind here).

Hey Quint, my 3 most watched movies on dvd are quite different.

Carrie

Aliens

and

Ben Hur

Let's see... my three favorite films would be Once Upon A Time In The West, The Good The Bad And The Ugly, and then something like A Clockwork Orange, Pulp Fiction, or Schindler's List.

My three most precious films though...

Desperado

The Fifth Element

GoldenEye

Tremors could easily replace one of those. Or maybe The Rock. Hmm...

The Empire Strikes Back (or any of the OT)

Raiders of the Lost Ark (or again any of the three)

The Lord of the Rings trilogy

Honorable mention would go to Hook, which was a pretty significant part of my childhood.

This is a really tough one. I'd have to go with the films which I have counted amongst my favourites the longest, and which still feel as magical to me now as they did when I first saw them. They are:

Brazil (1985)

City Lights (1931)

The Singing Detective (1986 6-part miniseries)

I know that last one strictly speaking isn't a film, but it's better than just about anything I've ever seen, and it still blows me away every time, so I hope you'll let me keep it as my third choice.

I tried to watch Brazil a few months back and I really struggled with it. It wasn't a bad film my any means, but I just didn't get the appeal. And I love Gilliam movies usually.