Goldsmith secretly admired Williams

Quintus

One only needs to listen to Supergirl's The Superman Poster to realise it. If that isn't the warmest, most kindly reverent nod to a peer, then I don't know what is.

The proof is found during the second statement of the JW melody, and it's delicate last note.

JW outwardly spoke highly of JG. Sadly, it was mainly a one way street.

Really?

It just occurred to me, I have never seen a Jerry Goldsmith interview. Where can I see one?

Is there a JG featurette on any of the DVDs of movies he scored?

In one preview of the now never-to-be-released Goldsmith biography, Goldsmith was critical of Williams's public persona.

Seems like maybe Goldsmith was a bit envious of JW... which is completely understandable, IMHO.

Really?

It just occurred to me, I have never seen a Jerry Goldsmith interview. Where can I see one?

ALIEN, the Star Trek movies he scored (one of them has a tribute short to him), THE OMEN, I think PLANET OF THE APES.

One only needs to listen to Supergirl's The Superman Poster to realise it. If that isn't the warmest, most kindly reverent nod to a peer, then I don't know what is.

The proof is found during the second statement of the JW melody, and it's delicate last note.

Maybe because the script of Supergirl called for it?

Really?

ALIEN, the Star Trek movies he scored (one of them has a tribute short to him), THE OMEN, I think PLANET OF THE APES.

Ahhh, thanks!

What about Total Recall, the 2 disc version? Any featurette on JG there?

I don't think it's the use of the melody he's talking about, it's the way it's used.

BTW, is this moment on the soundtrack?

I don't think it's the use of the melody he's talking about, it's the way it's used.

BTW, is this moment on the soundtrack?

Yes, its 'The Superman poster'

No trackname misgivings there :lol:

Rubbish. They are pretty even. Goldsmith adored 'Schindler's List' ('95 AOL online interview quote) and mentioned Williams more than once as one of the greats. Williams did the same on some occasions, but most publicly after Goldsmith's dead.

I guess one has to search for this stuff actively, but it's there....

Isn't the John Williams theme in "Superman Poster" NOT the main Superman theme but indeed one of the more minor (in comparison) themes?

If so, that strikes me as being really quite interesting and telling.

Or am I being totally crazy here? :lol:

Really?

The Film Music Masters 2005 Jerry Goldsmith dvd had extensive interview clips. Sadly, it's not available anymore. Well, not by typical means.

jerry.jpg

So, that Jerry Goldsmith bio is NOT going to ever be published?

Here's a two hour interview conducted in 2002 by John Burlingame, I stumbled upon it a couple of weeks ago browsing Joel Goldsmith's site:

http://freeclyde.com/video_bytes/cool/jerrygoldsmith.html

Lukas Kendall did nothing to stop Carrie Goldsmith's book from being published, he was trying to help her and showed the rough draft to someone without her permission so he was let go by Carrie and Joel Goldsmith.

The reason the book is being delayed is because of the Goldsmith family, not because of Lukas.

Here is a direct quote by Goldsmith:

I like John William's work very much and I hardly think he's lost his touch. Listen to "Schindler's List."

Taken from this interview:

http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Cinema/...l_interview.htm

Jerry Goldsmith admired Alex North and Franz Waxman. It appears that Goldsmith felt some of the things Williams did in the public eye; Rose Bowl Parade Grand Marshall, taking the Boston Pops job etc etc, was something beneath Williams' talents.

Frankly it makes Goldsmith come across as bitter and jealous, but he was also someone who spoke his mind and perhaps he had turned down similar opportunities himself.

I also remember reading in that never published bio of JG that the Goldsmiths used to regularly have the Williams over for dinner early in their careers. In fact, JG claimed he had to talk JW in to taking the Boston Pops gig when it was offered to him.

What was refreshing about that Burlingame interview is how Jerry had no qualms about saying that a particular theme or score of his was really good. JW would never say that publicly. Hey, the Waltons theme WAS great, why would he pretend it was otherwise?

Lukas Kendall did nothing to stop Carrie Goldsmith's book from being published, he was trying to help her and showed the rough draft to someone without her permission so he was let go by Carrie and Joel Goldsmith.

The reason the book is being delayed is because of the Goldsmith family, not because of Lukas.

Shame. But glad it was not Lukas doing, that i understood from Stefan's post.

I have always wondered which composers like, or do not like who. Goldsmith, obviously LOVED Alex North (and qiute rightly so!!), and Williams loved Herrman (he once said that every note of Bernie's "runs through me", and that's why he scored "The Fury"). I'm not sure if Williams likes Morricone, and was a little put out when asked to "lean on The Mission" when composing "Empire Of The Sun". I have also heard that Goldsmith absolutely HATED Horner with a passion, and said that he was wasting his talent. Ho hum. I would like to think that most composers at least admire the work of their fellow professionals, if not actually liking every note that they compose. After all, they are only human-except Williams, of course!

May this be the cause of that (supposed) hatred?

I don't know if anyone but Bernard Herrmann was or is able to generate that strong feelings about their peers. Goldsmith's reaction to a mention of Horner always seemed to range from mildly amused to downright sarcastic. Horner, prissy as always, complained at his Melboure film music seminar that Goldsmith would consider him an enemy for business reasons...

See it that way: Williams certainly would have stared at you with 'E. T.' like eyes if you asked him about 90% of movies Goldsmith scored, Goldsmith certainly never stayed up late at night to see if 'Sleepers' was any good and so on.

And Morricone certainly would stare amazed at some titles HE scored in those odd 50 years of his career...

In one preview of the now never-to-be-released Goldsmith biography, Goldsmith was critical of Williams's public persona.

Seems like maybe Goldsmith was a bit envious of JW... which is completely understandable, IMHO.

Definitively NO ! Goldsmith pointed that Williams wanted to have a carreer " à la Previn " , to be recognized as film composer and as "concert " (classical) composer.