25-30 Hour Goldsmith tribute on XM / DirecTV

Jay

If you have XM or DirecTV and like Goldsmith you're in for a treat:

JERRY GOLDSMITH RADIO CELEBRATION

Varèse Sarabande Records and Sirius/XM’s Cinemagic launch a weeklong, 80th birthday celebration remembering and honouring the life and work of Jerry Goldsmith.

Robert Townson will guide listeners on an extensive tour of the legendary composer’s extraordinary and enormous career. From such classics as Patton, The Omen, Star Trek and Chinatown to some obscure gems that will be a discovery for almost everyone, over 130 scores will be featured over the course of five, daily, five and six-hour shows.

Beginning on Monday, February 9 at 4:00 pm EST/1:00 pm PST this very special celebration will continue each day at the same time. As a grand finale, all five programs will be run consecutively, all weekend long, beginning Saturday, February 14 at 12:01am EST.

Jerry Goldsmith’s 80th Birthday Celebration will be available to all Sirius/XM Radio subscribers on Cinemagic, channel 76. Sirius/XM’s CINEMAGIC is also available online to subscribers and as a free trial.

Direct TV subscribers can also access Sirius/XM’s Cinemagic on channel 822.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if the next Varese CD Club batch will have something for Goldsmith since it would have been his 80th? Usually they do a release around February or March.

I wonder what obscure gems they will play.

Actually, is Cinemagic on Sirius even still around? I found an article that said it disappeared around the middle of last month, and its page at Sirius' website doesn't exist anymore. I may need to leave my TV and computer on so this can tape while I'm still at work next week.

More than likely yes, but it'll just be a blank screen with audio. I don't have a DVR so the best I could do is stick my VCR in between the satellite receiver and the TV. And then turn around and output the VCR to the computer. Ew. I'd like to tape it to an audio cassette, but I broke the recording cassette deck on my stereo trying to rush things to tape Super Bowl XL and haven't replaced it since.

Actually, is Cinemagic on Sirius even still around? I found an article that said it disappeared around the middle of last month, and its page at Sirius' website doesn't exist anymore. I may need to leave my TV and computer on so this can tape while I'm still at work next week.

Yes....yes....excellent. And then you might let us in on the experience... yes.. excellent....

monty.jpg

They have a tendency to play a bit too much Hans Zimmer and Christopher Young music for my tastes, but they choose some great scores time to time. They had an all-night John Williams marathon two years ago, before I even started buying film scores.

Cinemagic is awesome. I love when I am listening to my ipod in my car, and notice a score I want to check out pop up on my XM display, so I switch over to that to listen to the 3 tracks they play of each score. Its great.

More info

http://www.xmradio.com/onxm/channelpage.xmc?ch=76

Jerry Goldsmith week on Cinemagic!

A week-long, 80th birthday celebration remembering and honoring the life and work of one of Hollywood’s greatest film composers of all time ...Jerry Goldsmith.

Sirius/XM's Cinemagic in conjunction with Varese Sarabande will take us on a 5-part musical journey othrough the life and work of one of Hollywood's greatest maestro's. Special guest host Robert Townson, who worked extensively with Goldsmith on 80 of his albums, will guide listeners on an extensive tour of the legendary composer’s extraordinary and enormous career. From such classics as Patton, The Omen, Star Trek and Chinatown to some obscure gems that will be a discovery for almost everybody, over 130 scores will be featured over the course of five, daily five-hour shows.

Beginning on Monday, February 9 at 4:00 pm EST/1:00 pm PST this very special celebration will continue each day at the same time. As a grand finale, all five programs will be run consecutively, all weekend long, beginning Saturday, February 14 at 12:01am EST.

Tuesday, February 10 would have been Jerry Goldsmith’s 80th birthday. Join us all week long to remember in music one of the greatest composers to ever write for film.

Does anyone know how long the XM Online free trial software can run while the computer is sitting unattended? I can set the computer to record for the five hours needed, save the file, and shut down when it's over, but if I need to be here to wiggle the mouse every so often, it will be for nothing.

I'll try it tonight as an experiment, since tonight's episode will be first in line for Saturday morning. It's better than taping 25+ hours to VHS, then watching them again as they copy over to the computer.

We got HD receivers instead, which is silly because we don't get the HD channels and as of yesterday, I'm the only one with an HD-capable TV in the house. Ho hum. I'm not paying for the deal this year, so I didn't complain too much...until this Goldsmith special came out.

My VCR is set to tape from 4 pm until whenever, but once my dad gets the remote, the VCR will just switch to taping whatever he changes it to. And asking for the TV from 4 to 9 each day is selfish when there's so much good sports on.

The XM free trial and Total Recorder is a perfectly fine alternate solution, assuming the XM feed doesn't tune out based on internet inactivity.

A new page is up at Varese Sarabande's web site that includes an mp3 audio promo, and a full schedule:

http://www.varesesarabande.com/details.asp?pid=Jerry

EPIC GOLDSMITH RADIO CELEBRATION!

Varèse Sarabande Records and Sirius/XM's Cinemagic launch a weeklong, 80th birthday celebration remembering and honoring the life and work of one of Hollywood's greatest film composers of all time …Jerry Goldsmith.

Special guest host Robert Townson, who worked extensively with Goldsmith on 80 of his albums, will guide listeners on an extensive tour of the legendary composer's extraordinary and enormous career. From such classics as Patton, The Omen, Star Trek and Chinatown to some obscure gems that will be a discovery for almost everybody, over 140 scores will be featured over the course of five, daily five and six-hour shows.

Tuesday, February 10 would have been Jerry Goldsmith's 80th birthday. Join us all week long to remember in music one of the greatest composers to ever write for film.

Jerry Goldsmith's 80th Birthday Celebration will be available to all Sirius/XM Radio subscribers on Cinemagic, channel 76. Sirius/XM's CINEMAGIC is also available online to subscribers and as a free, three-day trial for non-subscribers.

Direct TV subscribers can also access Sirius/XM's Cinemagic on channel 822.

February 9 – Important Director Relationships – Music For Television (7 hours)

February 10 – Science Fiction and Fantasy – Westerns (7 hours)

February 11 – Horror – Mystery and Thrillers

February 12 – War – Action/Adventure

February 13 – Drama/Comedy/Animation – Encores

February 14 – Jerry Goldsmith 80th Birthday Celebration (24 hours)

February 15 – Jerry Goldsmith 80th Birthday Celebration (24 hours)

Well it wasn't a total disaster. I missed the first five minutes because my settings were screwed up, and I stopped recording at 9 when I believe the show lasted until after 10, because Cinemagic was still playing Goldsmith after 10. I don't really mind because a ton of Goldsmith music is still a ton of music, and if it's incomplete, I'm not really going to be able to tell once I get four more 300+ minute MP3s to hack apart.

Oh, and Jason, I did get this message: "Your XM Radio Online session was stopped due to inactivity. Please select a channel to continue listening." I have no idea when that error popped up, but the recording did continue through 9 PM, which meant the signal just timed out sometime after that. Because I stopped wiggling my mouse when I walked away from the computer.

Listened to some last night while driving to the grocery store. Reminded me that I need to get Basic Instinct. Are there boots I should track down or is the OST OK?

Wojo, a few posts up I posted the schedule, which does indicate that each episode is 7 hours (420 minutes)

Yea, um, I didn't read the schedule you posted. My bad.

Tonight's music is what really interests me, his Sci-Fi, Fantasy, and Western music. I'm not sad that I missed two hours of more Twilight Zone music; I could always grab it Saturday in the wee AM. Whatever I get is good enough for me.

Listened to some last night while driving to the grocery store. Reminded me that I need to get Basic Instinct. Are there boots I should track down or is the OST OK?

Get the Prometheus expanded release.

Ok, ok, ok...you're listening to a recording of a song. La la la, tra la fala la la, la la la la, la la la la.........................................................................la la, tra la la, fala la la la.

Only a few seconds? That sucks.

Ok, so what's the best album/complete score representation to get for The Mummy? It just completed on the XM show and I loved it, and it's an album I don't own. Lemme know k!

...I need to get Basic Instinct. Are there boots I should track down or is the OST OK?

Sad that your first thought is to look for a boot and don't even think to ask if there is a legit expanded release.

Neil

Ok, ok, ok...you're listening to a recording of a song. La la la, tra la fala la la, la la la la, la la la la.........................................................................la la, tra la la, fala la la la.

Only a few seconds? That sucks.

Ok, so what's the best album/complete score representation to get for The Mummy? It just completed on the XM show and I loved it, and it's an album I don't own. Lemme know k!

The original Decca album is a pretty good representation of the score but if you can find the first DVD release of the film it has an isolated score.

Updated schedule:

February 9 – Important Director Relationships – Music For Television (7 hours)

February 10 – Science Fiction and Fantasy – Westerns (7 hours)

February 11 – Horror – Mystery and Thrillers (6 hours)

February 12 – War – Action/Adventure (8 hours)

February 13 – Drama/Comedy/Animation – Encores (7 hours)

February 14 – Jerry Goldsmith 80th Birthday Celebration Marathon (24 hours)

February 15 – Jerry Goldsmith 80th Birthday Celebration Marathon (24 hours)

Extra day added! - February 16 – Jerry Goldsmith 80th Birthday Celebration Marathon (20 hours)

Also the weekend marathon will be all 5 episodes played in a row, then played in a row again (bleeding into Monday)

Episode 1 (Midnight EST on Saturday)

Episode 2 (7am EST on Saturday)

Episode 3 (2pm EST on Saturday)

Episode 4 (8pm EST on Saturday)

Episode 5 (4am EST on Sunday)

Episode 1 (11am EST on Sunday)

Episode 2 (6pm EST on Sunday)

Episode 3 (1am EST on Monday)

Episode 4 (7am EST on Monday)

Episode 5 (3pm EST on Monday)