Rate Heartbeeps  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Rate Heartbeeps

• Not familiar

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually haven't listened to this in quite some time, but I do remember and enjoy all the themes (especially the love theme!). The motif from "Val's First Drive" is great too. This'll give me a good reason to give the whole score another whirl.

4.5. It's an excellent score, full of rich, '80s Williams goodness, and wonderful themes--main theme, Crimebuster's theme, and the gorgeous love theme. The last several tracks are amazing, and at times deeply, heartbreakingly beautiful. However, I can't say I'd put it at the 5 star level; it's just not quite there.

4 stars. A very enjoyable score even if the cheap synths are a bit off putting for me. The themes and melodies are indeed wonderful and the orchestrations outside the synths are excellent and the music exudes a spirit of fun although the most beautiful sections are surprisingly emotional and serious.

Oh and I have to mention that the Crimebuster theme is pure good fun. <_< It is menacingly funny!

5 stars is simply ridiculous. You can't place this score in the same league as Williams' other 5 star scores. It gets a '2.5' from me and that's generous.

Alex

4 - a litle gem of a score to a pretty worthless movie.....not up there with JW's best, but certainly better than the likes of Memoirs of a Geisha and several others I could mention.

1 from me. Why wasn't there a 0 rating? A truly horrible score to a forgotten gem.

You probably just didn't like the syth. I honestly thought the synth complimented the score perfectly and fits the film very well. It's not like he's trying to hide it either the way Zimmer does; Its cheap sound gives it a robotic feel.

4 - a litle gem of a score to a pretty worthless movie.....not up there with JW's best, but certainly better than the likes of Memoirs of a Geisha and several others I could mention.

Memoirs is amazing! <_<

Memoirs is pure gold compared to Heartbeeps

Memoirs is gold compared to most everything.

5 stars is simply ridiculous. You can't place this score in the same league as Williams' other 5 star scores. It gets a '2.5' from me and that's generous.

Alex

So you are now the speaker for everyone? Idiot!

I don't think a John Williams fanboy would be characterized as loving Heartbeeps.

Are you kidding? You have to be a die hard Williams fan to even know there is such a thing as Heartbeeps.

Alex

Yes, and a fanboy is a fan that has lost all sense of perspective. Trust me, nobody will call you crazy if you think Star Wars or E.T. are exceptional or standout efforts, but Heartbeeps? Let's be real, shall we?

Alex

Yes, and a fanboy is a fan that has lost all sense of perspective. Trust me, nobody will call you crazy if you think Star Wars or E.T. are exceptional or standout efforts, but Heartbeeps? Let's be real, shall we?

Alex

If some people love an obscure score why is that somehow offending to the universe or you? How on earth does this affect your personal view on the quality of different JW scores and why does it gall to see people expressing their love for this particular score? Do you high mindedly lament the corruption and degeneration of people's tastes or what? How does the opinion of a few people lessen the burnished brightness of the classic status of SW or E.T. that you have awarded them?

It's all opinion. I don't even listen to Star Wars. Heartbeeps as definitely gotten more plays.

You don't have to listen to Star Wars to know the amazing and powerful impact it had on the film, film in general, or the filmscore community. Unlike Heartbeeps, it's hard to deny its relevance.

Alex

But we're not talking about impact in the film or elsewhere. We're just giving it a personal rating on how much we like the actual music.

Well, in that case, I feel some of you don't hear the difference between greatness and average.

Alex

But we're not talking about impact in the film or elsewhere. We're just giving it a personal rating on how much we like the actual music.

Well, in that case, I feel some of you don't hear the difference between greatness and average.

Alex

Yes, some don't hear the difference. You, Hitch, and the one other person that rated it below you. Hell, even Neil gave it a 4.

Alex

Wow, you know alot about fanboys!

Yes, some don't hear the difference. You, Hitch, and the one other person that rated it below you. Hell, even Neil gave it a 4.

Wait a minute! I don't hear the difference? Then how come it is I and not you who is trying to differentiate it?

Alex

I don't think a John Williams fanboy would be characterized as loving Heartbeeps.

Are you kidding? You have to be a die hard Williams fan to even know there is such a thing as Heartbeeps.

Alex

I didn't know it existed until I read a post about it somewhere, and they did not mention Williams. In fact, not until after I had seen the movie and enjoyed the score did I find out it was a Williams effort.

Memoirs is gold compared to most everything.

The only reason MOST people say that is because others do - it's not a matter of taste, it's a matter for many of fitting in with the crowd. Memoirs - on this scale, would rank about a 2 for me (at best) and for quite a few others if they were honest about it. Memoirs is most certainly not "Gold" - it has some decent moments - some emotive coruscations - but it is not a good score. Even that year's other Oscar-nom - "Munich" - was infinitely better.

If anyone has not checked out Heartbeeps - I beg you to track it down and give it a listen - you will not be sorry. Personally I think giving it 5 is going a little far - but then it's all down to taste.

I was obsessed with Memoirs 2 years before I found this forum(in fact, I didn't even have an email then, so I didn't really use the internet ever, except to request CD's from the library.) The only person I knew who liked JW besides me was my dad, and that's because I gave him a bunch of CD's. So, unless I was telepathically connected to JWFan somehow and didn't realize, I doubt I was "a matter of fitting in with the crowd".

I just relistened to "Crimebuster". That theme just ends so well! Very Darth Vader-esque. "Crimebuster" is kind of like the Imeprial March's retarded bastard child. yes.gif

Hey - not a problem here - no need to defend your opinion and if I gave the impression that you needed to then that was not the case and I apologise. What I was stating is that the number of people who truly think Memoirs is a great score are in a minority - for a good reason in my opinion - but that most jump on the bandwagon just for the sake of being "In The Crowd" and have probably never even heard the CD more than once....but because I am the (only?) person who has come out and stated that it is actually - for a movie score - pretty crap for the most part, that does not mean that I'm wrong either - it's just that I am not on the "cool" side of the badwagon - if you get my meaning.

I have stated many, many times on these boards that everyone has their own opinions and tastes, and what a boring world it would be if we were all the same - but some people like us are thankfully able to form our own, without just trying to sound "Part Of The Gang"....

....but I still think you're wrong ;)

Anyway - Heartbeaps is a cool score :) ....one day I even hope to catch the movie...

....one day I even hope to catch the movie...

Don't, for the love of god.

:mrgreen:

Is it really that bad??

In my opinion, yes, very bad. I'll never forget the experience: Lying awake in my bed at 2 in the morning, suddenly finding this film just starting on one of my subscription channels. Decided to give it a go because I love the score. Terrible story, terrible acting, and just very stupid and boring overall.

Lots of people really like it. For me it's like watching a movie with your parents and then without warning a really hot sex scene comes on (as happened to me back in the 80s when I insisted we rent Angel Heart!). It's just embarassing. Everyone in the room knows it was your choice to play it, and it somehow becomes your personal shame. The only difference is that it's fine to watch the sex scene alone, but when I listen to Crimebuster alone I still feel embarassed! The sleeve notes on the CD say that Crimebuster ranks up there alongside The Imperial March. Um...no.