The Russians Theme

Muad'Dib

Hi, everybody! (again)

Recently, listening to the KOTCS soundtrack, I wondered why a concert piece for "The Russians Theme" isn't featured in the soundtrack or anywhere else.

So I was wondering if it could be possible to create the concert version of that theme. Here are the russians themes we should take into account:

- The unrelesed motif (which is on the main site in MIDI format)

- The horns part in "Irina's Theme"

- The jazzy version of the theme in "Jungle Chase" (the complete one)

- The dark march in "Jungle Chase"

- "Ants!" features a lot of variations of the theme

- The "Finale" part

If I'm forgetting of another let me know.

My idea is to create a MIDI of it or something in that style. But my problem is that I'm not really good at the keyboard (I've created a couple of pieces, but I have problems with the rythm), so I was wondering if a good musician could help to create the concert version of "The Russians Theme".

Thanks in advance.

PS: If you couldn't understand me, I'll try to explain myself better.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, everybody! (again)

Recently, listening to the KOTCS soundtrack, I wondered why a concert piece for "The Russians Theme" isn't featured in the soundtrack or anywhere else.

So I was wondering if it could be possible to create the concert version of that theme. Here are the russians themes we should take into account:

- The horns part in "Irina's Theme"

- The jazzy version of the theme in "Jungle Chase" (the complete one)

- The dark march in "Jungle Chase"

- The "Finale" part

If I'm forgetting of another let me know.

My idea is to create a MIDI of it or something in that style. But my problem is that I'm not really good at the keyboard (I've created a couple of pieces, but I have problems with the rythm), so I was wondering if a good musician could help to create the concert version of "The Russians Theme".

Thanks in advance.

PS: If you couldn't understand me, I'll try to explain myself better.

ants! features a lot of the russian theme.

I wish there were more representations of this theme on album. Of all the new themes written for the film, the Russians theme was by far my favorite.

Ted

What main site?

I meant here: http://www.jwfan.com/index.php?option=com_...view&id=897

(Scroll down to where it says "unreleased music" and click on "Russian motif")

There's a movement called "Russians" in the KotCS orchestral suite.

Really? Interesting... Where can I see or listen to that?

ants! features a lot of the russian theme.

True. I should add it to the list.

Give me that any time over DA-DA-DA. Daradadadadadarada Daradaradaradaradaradarara Daradaradaradaradaradarada! 50s REBEL! Somehow strangely SWASHBUCKLING!

I wish there were more representations of this theme on album. Of all the new themes written for the film, the Russians theme was by far my favorite.

:) (this emoticon brought to you by JDan)

DA DA-DA-DA BAD GUYS! MARCH MARCH MARCH!

What an incredible piece of music.

Oh come on, you know you love it. ;)

It's exactly what Indy bad guy music should be.

Low blow, dude. I actually like the theme just fine in a minor, auxiliary function. It's fun music for the usual brainless hero fodder (i.e. the soldiers). High, thrilling art on the level of "The Map Room," or even "Call of the Crystal"? Hardly.

In the same vein I like the Nazi theme in The Last Crusade because it stays the hell away from powerful, dramatic moments. It knows its place as a silly little bad guy theme. I love the development of the theme in "Alarm!" An exciting, light hearted escape sequence. Would I have liked a sweeping, choral rendition of the theme when Donovan shoots Henry Sr.? Of course not. It just isn't that serious.

That russian statement from the opening of the film is almost identical to one of the main themes from Blazing Angels II, for the next-gen game consoles. Released in the fall of 2007,the game theme seems to have been written just before Williams wrote his variant for Crystal Skull. So, compelling as the cue may be, it's not very original.

--Pelzter.

I'm very sure Williams has not heard that video game score. Besides, the opening cue is not the "Russian motif." We're talking about the brass fanfare in "Irina's Theme."

That russian statement from the opening of the film is almost identical to one of the main themes from Blazing Angels II, for the next-gen game consoles. Released in the fall of 2007,the game theme seems to have been written just before Williams wrote his variant for Crystal Skull. So, compelling as the cue may be, it's not very original.

--Pelzter.

Sorry, but your theory doesn't pass the ripoff test.. Too few similar unique attributes.

:nod: (this emoticon brought to you by JDan)

Ha!

Or should that be:

Uncool, bro. :)

I love the Russian theme. If they ever decide to make an Indy 5, I hope Indiana Jones will go to Russia so that we can hear more of the Russians theme.

It'd actually be an interesting setting. There's beautiful buildings, there can be snow, and bad guys aplenty. :)

I was wondering... If nowbody wants to create a MIDI of the Russians Theme, how about a music edit of all the russians parts mentioned in the first post?

Anyone here is a good music editor?

I love the Russian theme. If they ever decide to make an Indy 5, I hope Indiana Jones will go to Russia so that we can hear more of the Russians theme.

It'd actually be an interesting setting. There's beautiful buildings, there can be snow, and bad guys aplenty. :mrgreen:

Yeah, one of the big things I think they have left to do is spend real time in a snowy setting, not just a little blip like going to Nepal or the slalom on Mt. Humol, but have a real action set piece outside, and spend some time there.

Yeah, one of the big things I think they have left to do is spend real time in a snowy setting, not just a little blip like going to Nepal or the slalom on Mt. Humol, but have a real action set piece outside, and spend some time there.
Absolutely! That'd be something we haven't yet properly seen in an Indiana Jones movie.

What I think they should do if they make an Indy 5 is to try and figure out some locations we haven't really seen yet and

action scenes we haven't seen yet and then try and figure out a story around that.

I'd love Indy sneaking into Moskow in the snow and then having to escape through the Russian countryside or something like that. :mrgreen:

I was wondering... If nowbody wants to create a MIDI of the Russians Theme, how about a music edit of all the russians parts mentioned in the first post?

Anyone here is a good music editor?

I love editing, so I could give it a try.

Just looking at the appearances though:-

- The unreleased motif (which is on the main site in MIDI format) - if this is the one that appears in the first score cue of the film, I tried doing a DVD rip ages ago, and the sfx even in the rear channels was too much. I could try incorporating the midi though, and see if it works with the rest of the suite.

- The dark march in "Jungle Chase" - are you talking about the march with snares just before the cue goes back to the OST for the last time? I don't hear any Russian theme influences in that.

I love editing, so I could give it a try.

That's great! Thanks a lot for offering! :mrgreen:

Just looking at the appearances though:-

- The unreleased motif (which is on the main site in MIDI format) - if this is the one that appears in the first score cue of the film, I tried doing a DVD rip ages ago, and the sfx even in the rear channels was too much. I could try incorporating the midi though, and see if it works with the rest of the suite.

Well... If it fits, you should leave it. But if doesn't, we can remove it. After all, that cue lasts less than thirty seconds, so it's not really that important.

- The dark march in "Jungle Chase" - are you talking about the march with snares just before the cue goes back to the OST for the last time? I don't hear any Russian theme influences in that.

It's true, but represents the evilness of the russians in the film. I think we could give it a try. If we don't like the result, we remove it.

One thing I was wondering... Which sould be the order of the edit? I mean, which would go first, second, etc...

Is what you're trying to do make an unofficial Concert Piece or Suite or something?

Yes. Everything depends on the final result, which I'm confident will be very good.

I just took a quick listen to the various bits. Problem is that they're mostly very short ~30 second pieces, and when you add the deteriorated sound quality from DVD rips, I'm sure not it would make a particularly coherent listen.

But I've cobbled together a 1:30 suite comprising of the rendition in the complete Jungle Chase, the Finale (which is the same as in Irina's Theme) and some stuff from Ants!, with some related filler kept in.

I just took a quick listen to the various bits. Problem is that they're mostly very short ~30 second pieces, and when you add the deteriorated sound quality from DVD rips, I'm sure not it would make a particularly coherent listen.

But I've cobbled together a 1:30 suite comprising of the rendition in the complete Jungle Chase, the Finale (which is the same as in Irina's Theme) and some stuff from Ants!, with some related filler kept in.

That's great! Could you post a link to listen to it? I don't know if you prefer to post it here or privately... It makes the same for me.

That's great! Could you post a link to listen to it? I don't know if you prefer to post it here or privately... It makes the same for me.

Yes, I'd like to hear it as well. If private, then PM me too. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I doesn't really sound like a motif, just a typical thing for modern JW action scoring. But then again it is the same in both cues. Is it in The Jungle Chase as well?

Karol

I doesn't really sound like a motif, just a typical thing for modern JW action scoring. But then again it is the same in both cues. Is it in The Jungle Chase as well?

Karol

i dont think so, the jungle chase is more irina driven. I'll check it just in case.

The "Whirl Through Academe" clip is the motif for that cue, initiated at 0:06. The "Warehouse Escape" clip is perhaps motivic for that cue--it's certainly a central idea/element of the cue, but it's not the same as Whirl.