• 4 stars
    • 3,5 stars
    • 3 stars
    • 2,5 stars
    • 2 stars
    • 1,5 stars
    • 1 stars
    • I'm not familiar with this score

Every few days I will post a thread on a random score from my collection that we can discuss and rate. I made a playlist on my computer with one track of each score I've got, so by using the random play option, I'll be able to post a truly random score each time. Hopefully this will allow us to discuss some scores that would otherwise never be discussed. Also we can record the rating so that we can create a full list of the ratings given to scores by JWFan.com.

Today's score is Supergirl by Jerry Goldsmith. Are you familiar with it? What do you like about it? What don't you like about it? How do do you think it works in the film? What are your favourite tracks?

Cover-140.jpg

So far JWFan has rated:

See Soundtrack Ratings by JWFan.com.

This web page contains the ratings from all my previous polls as well as those of Blumenkohl's.

Final ratings are converted to a 1-10 rating for both rating systems so that they can be compared.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll give it a 3,5. The overture track is great all the way through, leading to an awesome climax. The rest of the music is OK but fairly uninteresting to me. And the synths in there don't help either. But it's certainly better than the film, which was really pretty bad. The concept of a "Supergirl" film isn't too bad, but the magical aspect really didn't make much sense to me.

The complete score drags a bit in the album.

The same might be said of Williams's Superman: The Movie, particularly in the score's second half.

Which score with such massive length doesn't?

(of course, according to many. 'LOTR' is the exception).

I doubt that Goldsmith spent more than a few weeks on this risible Salkind venture, but whenever there's action, he just can't be denied. Williams has the upper hand in the more epic first half of 'Superman' but cues like 'Chasing Rockets' or 'Helicopter Rescue' i just find tedious in comparison.

Tough question. I barely remember the OST, and even the main title is rather lame in it (too slow). As far as the live version is concerned, I might agree with Stefan, that's easily 5 star material... but although I have it, I'll have to go with "not familiar" for the full OST.

The main theme is possible stronger then Williams Superman one.

I just don't see this. Goldsmith's theme is so campy it's grating.

The movie is campy. There is no indication of that in Goldsmith's score though. It gets 4.5 stars from me.

Neil

3 stars. The complete score drags a bit in the album.

Agreed, although I'll give a 4 for it's main theme and Goldsmith composed a much better score than the film deserved. The Monster Tractor cue conjurs up a menacing scene when listening to it, but I was almost in laughter watching the actual sequence.

But it's not even close to Williams Superman, not even close.

The main theme is possible stronger then Williams Superman one.

I just don't see this. Goldsmith's theme is so campy it's grating.

The movie is campy. There is no indication of that in Goldsmith's score though.

I'm aware of the film's reputation. I hear camp in the music (a credit to Goldsmith's scoring abilities if nothing else). Since there's no objective way to define camp I think we'll have to leave it at that.

But technically speaking the melody really rubs me the wrong way: 5 ---- 4 - 3 - 1 --- 5 --- 4 - 3 - 4 - 8 ... There's something inverted sounding about it, like a tape being rewound.

5 stars from yours truly. You'd really believe a woman can fly....and not show her panties. Oh she wore a skirt.

"Leave this place and do no harm".....her tampons reference in the movie...that and her omega3hedron!!

You've been "currently listening to" Jaws 2 for a long time. Don't you think you've had enough of it?? Time to move unto some Prokofiev, Bartok or Stravinsky ;)

You've been "currently listening to" Jaws 2 for a long time. Don't you think you've had enough of it?? Time to move unto some Prokofiev, Bartok or Stravinsky ;)

It's certainly due a change, although I am currently listening to Watership Down, which is a bit like Prokofiev, if he was a woman named Angela and liked rabbits.

4 stars. I wouldn't use the word "camp" to describe this score, but the synths certainly cheapen it a bit. Williams' Superman is top shelf. This is not. Still, a great listen.

Good stuff: The Flying Ballet and the Map (alternate version). The Monster Storm on the Varese version can't be beat.

Bad stuff: The music for the Phantom Zone sequence is a bit grating.

I had never heard this score ever, until a few weeks ago when I obtained the OST and Silva Expanded. I enjoyed both CDs quite a bit! The Expanded is a much more cohesive listening experience.

I hope someday there is a 2CD complete score, with synth-less versions of all cues that contain them presented at the end of the 2nd disc with other alternates.

4 stars.

Would synth-less versions of those cues be possible? Aren't they pretty much all mixed in at this point? I'd like it that way too, Jason, but wouldn't that be against the way Goldsmith originally intended?

Would synth-less versions of those cues be possible? Aren't they pretty much all mixed in at this point? I'd like it that way too, Jason, but wouldn't that be against the way Goldsmith originally intended?

That's why the "main" complete score, that starts on the first disc and ends on the second would contains the synths, and the synth-less versions would be presented as bonus tracks at the end of the second disc.

And some tracks on the OST don't contain synths that are present on the same track on the expanded release