BAFTAs tonight

Richard Penna

I feel I should draw some attention towards our oscars. Even worse music nominees though, I'm ashamed to say:

THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON – Alexandre Desplat

THE DARK KNIGHT – Hans Zimmer, James Newton Howard

MAMMA MIA! – Benny Andersson, Björn Ulvaeus

SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE – A. R. Rahman

WALL•E – Thomas Newman

As far as I'm concerned, Dark Knight and Mamma Mia have no business at all on this list, and I still think Button is overrated - but hey, that's just my opinion.

Winners are announced in about 6 hours, and I expect some arguing before then...

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I won't be watching (any of the awards ceremonies), but I expect Slumdog will sweep the board tonight, with the exception of the best score award, which should go to Wall-E.

Well, you just missed an interview on the red carpet with your new princess (girl in signature).

These are the nominees for best film:

Milk

The Reader

Benjamin Button

Frost/Nixon

Slumdog Millionaire

Nice. I really hope Parnassus (which cannot possibly open to anything less than full houses of morbidly curious cinemagoers) will bring his cinematic genius to a wider audience. I'm more excited about Parnassus than I have been about any film in a long time.

And it goes to A.R. Rahman.

Dammit.

And what a tremendously boring acceptance speech.

I found it most gratifying. God those side shots of Daniel Craig were making me weak at the knees

Am I the only one who really likes the Dark Knight Soundtrack then?

Nope, tied with IJ4 for my favorite score of '08.

What?!

Everyone has their own tastes and yours is yours, but favourite of the year? wow.

What?!

Everyone has their own tastes and yours is yours, but favourite of the year? wow.

I bet you have the same look on your face I had when you posted in the Jaws thread ;)

What?!

Thanks. It's always good to know when people are judging me for my tastes. ;)

Slumdog Millionaire: 7 awards (Best Movie, best director)

Mickey Rourke: Best Actor for The Wrestler

Kate Winslet: Best Actress for The Reader

I wonder if the Oscars will be equally as predictable.

I'm still hoping that the world becomes sensible again and realizes that Slumdog is not a great movie. And it has one of the worst screenplays of the year.

You are making no sense here, putting my opinion in contrast to awards. Do you admit that you were making no sense when criticizing Titanic? It got a butt-load of awards. Slumdog Millionare IS one of worst screenplays of the year. I'm baffled by the great press it's been getting, and how it's sweeping these awards.

And how often do I rebel against hype? I loves me a good piece of Hollywood machinery, you know that.

Half the world's population hates Titanic. It certainly didn't get any BAFTA's.

I don't think you will find another person who thinks Slumdog Millionaire is the worst script of the year (except for our very own Joey, of course).

You might as well say Mickey Rourke in The Wrestler gave one of the worst performances of the year.

And who constantly rebelled against The Matrix hype?

Alex

Slumdog isn't a great movie, but is a very good one. The screenplay is good in my opinion.

Congrats to Boyle and all involved. I don't really care that it won the score award, I'm indifferent this year.

Half the world's population hates Titanic. It certainly didn't get any BAFTA's.

I don't think you will find another person who thinks Slumdog Millionaire is the worst script of the year (except for our very own Joey, of course).

You might as well say Mickey Rourke in The Wrestler gave one of the worst performances of the year.

And who constantly rebelled against The Matrix hype?

Two of the above points are wrong, one makes absolutely no sense, and another is indicative on nothing.

Hm, typical Alex, ignoring the major points of a discussion, and going straight for whatever cheap points you can score.

I've seen the film, and I didn't buy it. The structure. The characters. The story. The little events. It's setting. Very little in the screenplay did anything for me, and reading it afterwards, it's just as nonsensical as it is in the film. Which is why I don't understand the love for Slumdog. I can understand people liking it, being swept up by it. I wasn't, but so what? But I can't understand how greatness became attached to the film.

Still, I'm sure that if Slumdog Millionaire was a low profile film (like Danny Boyle's Millions) you would be the biggest fan in the world. In fact, the problems you have with Slumdog are precisely the reasons why I'm not a fan of Millions.

Alex

I'm sure the hype had something to do with my reaction. I can't say what I'd think before the hype. But, then again, look at Crash- a film that I liked, but was widely disliked in many quarters. I liked that one, yet I can certainly see how shoddily put together it is. I'd see the same thing with this film, even if I did like it. If Slumdog were a low-profile film, I might have gone in expecting very little, and being charmed. I went in expecting something special. It wasn't. Hype has little to do with a film itself, but I don't think we can deny how expectations play into any cinematic experience we have.

The Dark Knight is so original, its brilliant! especially the Joker stuff. But I dont think classical listeners would like it.

original, what are you talking about. The joker sound is exactly the same sound used in the original texas chainsaw massacre.

Alex if you're going to talk about me, get your head out of your ass, and get it right. I really enjoyed Slumdog Millionaire and have chastised Morlock for his bizarre dislike of the film.

I don't know about worst script of the year, but count me in in the "I just didn't buy it" category. Take it as another chance to criticize my taste, Alex.

I haven't seen it. :lol:

I just know it's the most rewarded screenplay of the year. :P

I know Slumdog is the biggest hype of the year. :mellow:

I know there are always people that have a problem with too much hype. :mellow:

It's not the hype, it's the weakness of the whole film. It's how cheated I felt watching it. The fact that people love it is all right - people did love High School Musical, too. But how seriously they're taking it - it makes me like it even less, ashamed as I am to admit it.

The Dark Knight is so original, its brilliant! especially the Joker stuff. But I dont think classical listeners would like it.

original, what are you talking about. The joker sound is exactly the same sound used in the original texas chainsaw massacre.

I doubt the electric Cello existed back then.