The 2009 Grammy for Best Instrumental Composition goes to...

Trumpeteer

WINNER!!!!!“The Adventures Of Mutt,: John Williams, composer (John Williams)

Track from: “Indiana Jones And The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull”

“Alegria,” Chick Corea, composer (Chick Corea & Gary Burton)

Track from: “The New Crystal Silence”

“Claire's Closet,” Russell Ferrante, composer (Yellowjackets Featuring Mike Stern)

Track from: “Lifecycle”

“Danzón De Etiqueta,” Dave Grusin, composer (Lee Ritenour & Dave Grusin)

Track from: “Amparo”

“Hit The Ground Running,” Gordon Goodwin, composer (Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band)

Track from: “Act Your Age”

----------------------------------------------------------

What a great birthday present. I do not know if John Williams was at the Grammys to accept.

This is his 20th Grammy and 10th in this category.

In other film music-related news form the Grammys:

"Down to Earth" wins best song from a motion picture or TV

"The Dark Knight" wins best score album

"Juno" wins best complilation album

Peter Gabriel and Thomas Newman win best instrumental arrangement for "Define Dancing" from WALL-E.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me understand! Although John's score - according to the Grammy people - is worse than The Dark Knight, his instrumental composition was found better than couple non-cinematic compositions, right? :music:

Good he got some recognition anyway.:happybday:

Hah, you are basing your statement on one fatal flaw: the assumption that Grammy people has common sense!

I guess so too.

Chris, who at 1 AM local time perhaps doesn't look happy, but who really is.

Unfortunately the credibility of these awards is suspicious as TDK won best score album, :music:

I'm not surprised that it won.

Good for Williams, even though "The Adventures of Mutt" probably isn't the best track on the album.

Glad Williams won something at the Grammy's. It is indeed a fun listen and a great concert piece. I had the pleasure of hearing it live under the maestro's baton last year. Actually 3 times. I forgot about the rehearsal in Detroit.

My wife and daughter were watching the Grammys and I wasn't paying too much attention but I don't think they even did the "Other Grammys Presented Tonite" segment.

“Alegria,” Chick Corea, composer (Chick Corea & Gary Burton)

Track from: “The New Crystal Silence”

“Claire's Closet,” Russell Ferrante, composer (Yellowjackets Featuring Mike Stern)

Track from: “Lifecycle”

“Danzón De Etiqueta,” Dave Grusin, composer (Lee Ritenour & Dave Grusin)

Track from: “Amparo”

“Hit The Ground Running,” Gordon Goodwin, composer (Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band)

Track from: “Act Your Age”

Hmmm, I gotta admit, I know none of the other nominated songs/tracks... :flameblob:

My wife and daughter were watching the Grammys and I wasn't paying too much attention but I don't think they even did the "Other Grammys Presented Tonite" segment.

I would have been amazed if it was so much as mentioned. It's all about the real songs isn't it?

Let me understand! Although John's score - according to the Grammy people - is worse than The Dark Knight, his instrumental composition was found better than couple non-cinematic compositions, right? :huh:

Dark Knight won for best score but wasn't even nominated for "Best Instrumental Composition."

That's ironically hilarious. It's like they're acknowledging it's not even an instrumental composition.

I know that in a more scholarly sort of competition, "The Adventures of Mutt" would be mere fodder for sneers and jeers, but it truly does make for a fun listen. Those who find it tedious because of all the scale runs need to lighten up. :nod:

Anyway, does this win make Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull the only award-winning score in the Indiana Jones series? :huh:

Dark Knight won for best score but wasn't even nominated for "Best Instrumental Composition."

That's ironically hilarious. It's like they're acknowledging it's not even an instrumental composition.

Nothing in TDk really stood out as a single peiece. JW writes things differently, where each thing is its own piece, where you can take one cue and it can stand on its own. You can't really take just one cue from TDK except maybe the suites which, IMO, weren't that great. It has to be together, really.