A must read for everyone...especially AOTC "haters&quot

Beowulf

I implore everyone to read the following article:

http://www.brightlightsfilm.com/38/clones1.htm

Wow is all I could say when I finished reading this discourse on AOTC. Not only is this one of the best articles I have ever read (content wise), it is also one of the most well-written. Basically, after you read this, you will be wondering if George Lucas is one of the most inventive, genious story-tellers of all time, or a lucky man whose stories are filled with coincidences. I happen to believe that it is the former.

I have, for a long time, wanted to post my views about AOTC and TPM and why I thought they were good films in their own rights, but I find that with this article, I don't have to. This article intelligently argues the points that I have always believed in and puts into words what I could never have thought to do.

I challenge you all - especially those of you that did not like either AOTC or TPM - to read this article with an open mind and tell me what you think. Lets open the doors for further discussion. Believe me, it is worth your time

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is indeed an incredibly well written article, I'm very impressed, but I can't help but think, "Jesus, this guy's taking it a bit too seriously, isn't he?"

I mean......it's.......just a movie......

It is indeed an incredibly well written article

It is,even though i feel :devil: after the first page,this guy mixes up semi-factoids with his own view of the subject and over complicated but still grammatically correct sentences.That would be an A essay as Ren would put it.Doesn't mean it's not all B.S.

Thanks Beowulf, that was a really good read. I'm certainly not one of these Attack of the Clones 'haters' you're talking about, because I really enjoyed the film (except for the dodgy music edits at the end that is). The mythical allusions contained within the Star Wars films have always been a subject of interest for me, especially this year having visited the "Magic of Myth" exhibit of Star Wars costumes and models and read the excellent companion book. It was good to read an extension of these concerns and preoccupations to the newer films. I've never doubted that Lucas is highly literate and aware, especially about myths and the use of symbols in cinema and other art, and this article simply confirms this.

However, I have to take issue with two things about the article and the film. Firstly, what David Begor sees as the symbolic ambiguity that pervades Attack of the Clones illustrates that what functions effectively on an allegorical or symbolic level does not necessarily translate well to successful storytelling or good film-making. For example, while the ambiguous deployment of referents to the uncertain relationships between the characters and the concepts of 'good' and 'evil' are laudable on a theoretical level, in the context of the film's narrative they can come across as a bit of a mess. Secondly, and this is an associated point, no amount of cine literacy or technical accomplishment can compensate for what are some fundamental weaknesses in the acting, the dialogue and occasionally the pacing. But like, I said, I'm not an AOTC hater and I am more than willing to overlook these deficits and not let them detract from the overall enjoyable experiences I've had with this movie.

CYPHER

PS - avoid Visual Mode at all costs! It turned my reply to junk before I reverted back to the old system and edited it. Ricard is this problem a common one, is the system still going through a teething process, or is my computer just 'special'?

PS - avoid Visual Mode at all costs! It turned my reply to junk before I reverted back to the old system and edited it. Ricard is this problem a common one, is the system still going through a teething process, or is my computer just 'special'?

I'm deeply sorry. The Visual Mode for the board still has some bugs, but I have to activate it when I make certain updates on the site. Just try to ignore it :devil:

All the sensible, non BS examples he gives about allusions, metaphors etc. come from the original trilogy..............except for the blood red skies and such in Episode II, everything else he said about TPM and AOTC was pure and utter over-analyzing BS. Reading much of this article, I felt like I was in my Freshman Writing Seminar class all over again listening to my feminist professor analyze the sexual/gender symbolism found in almost every episode of Star Trek........such as how probing the recently-collected alien specimen had underlying sexual meaning and how when an alien that had taken control of the ship finally leaves at the end, it "is like a baby leaving its mother's womb". I have been an avid star wars fan since the age of three, and have definitely taken the time to note countless mythological aspects of the original trilogy. If not mythological, then just really good story with curious, memorable dialogue, wonderful leitmotifs, and a fascinating plot interweaved among three movies. I have tried very hard to find true goodness in these new movies......I have found an entertainment enjoyment in Episode I, not as a continuation of the star wars series, but just as a standalone movie. I have found some decent parts to Episode II also, but as a whole, I have not found any way to appreciate it or see any real effort that George Lucas may have taken to create as special a story as his original trilogy. I firmly believe that 99% of what this author says with regard to George Lucas intentionally doing things the way he did in AOTC for deep, allegorical meaning is completely false. 99% of what he mentioned was done for PURELY COMMERCIAL reasons by George and his creative team in order to MAKE MONEY. C3P0 losing his head and fighting in the battle was not done for metaphorical reasons, that is utter BS. It was done to make the little 8 years olds in the audiance giggle with delight. Episode I was about 40% commercialized, and Episode II was probably 85% commercialized. Sorry, I'm at work and don't have time to fully critique this essay or organize my thoughts (so they are a bit scattered in this post), but really guys.........this may be a well-written article(for the most part....) but well-written does not equal smart, and I'll be surprised if any of you truely do believe in the stuff he wrote......

Here is my impression of the article, though I must admit there were probably 1 or 2 sections that I did appreciate:

:wow: LOL :devil::):devil:

His overanalysis of the film is almost as long and boring as the film itself.

It think his article makes one profound statement.

The author has way too much time on his hands.

Actually Joe, you are wrong on both accounts. The film and article were not boring (in fact the article is much better than most of the articles I am required to read for school!). The article makes a good case at how the Prequels can be viewed differently than the stereotypical thought of "The Prequels have sent Star Wars to Hell in a Handbasket".

Personally, I think the greatest point of the article is that the whole SAGA to date (all 5 films) should be viewed as a series, not independent films. I mean, if you viewed AOTC as a single film, then you would be mighty confused...that is why the answers will be asnwered in the Ep. III (I love all the ambiguity of good and bad). Each film draws upon the strengths of the whole series. I think that is the main problem when people view the Prequels, they are trying to analyze the film solely on itself, and don't realize that the films have a greater purpose and should be viewed in the context of the whole saga.

However, I can see how some people wouldn't get that...

While it was an interesting read and he did make a lot of good points about Episode II, too much of it felt like he was just interpreting and analyzing plot elements and details that just ended up in the film, rather than were intentionally put there. I think he's trying to give way too much credit to George Lucas, and I don't think that Lucas is as intelligent and specific about all those plot elements as this guy says he is.

Take that comment he makes about the mention of moons in the Star Wars films. I don't see any semblance of trying to make a point by having Obi-Wan say "that's no moon" and having Yavin and Endor both be moons, and then turning around and saying in Episode II that Anakin's casual comment about Padme being an "angel from the moons of Iego" or something like that...I just don't see a connection. Or by saying there's a big underlying meaning by staging the final wedding ceremony by a lake and making the water allegorically significant...puh-lease, gimme be a break. 90% of that article is BS, he's reading too much into a so-so movie in the annals of Star Wars.

I always hated those classes in high school where you had to analyze every single line and word of a poem to see what the poet meant; sometimes it's just supposed to be a pretty poem and have no moral implication at all.

Just because you can over-analyze a work after the fact and pull out all these hidden meanings doesn't mean they were intended to be in there and have such meaning, it's just coincidence.

I'm convinced some of the paralells were unintencional, but I?m sure most of them were not.

As Lucas has said countless times, Starwars are basicaly silent movies and it depends much more on iconographic metaphores and esoterism that it seems to.

I thought it was a great article (this guy has written other very interesting articles on the symbolisms and metaphors in the starwars saga) and was trully worth a read.

Romao, who thinks that there is more to AOTC than meets the eye.

Actually Joe, you are wrong on both accounts.  The film and article were not boring (in fact the article is much better than most of the articles I am required to read for school!).  The article makes a good case at how the Prequels can be viewed differently than the stereotypical thought of "The Prequels have sent Star Wars to Hell in a Handbasket".  

Actually I am correct, because my opinion is my own. The article was rediculously overwritten with alot of TOTAL BULLSHIT. He micro analysized the entire prequel saga, and seemed unable to truely work the original series into his thesis. But it was so long and boring, I might have missed several point. I admit that.

However, I can see how some people wouldn't get that...

Now that sounds like elitism. Or the same defense as those who praise A.I.

Actually I am correct, because my opinion is my own.  The article was rediculously overwritten with alot of TOTAL BULLSHIT.  He micro

thanks,I wont have to read it again.but Lucas IS intelligent,BTW,that's the one of the only thing I can say,an also yes without taking 3 pages to write it,the film is best viewed as part of a series(like a chapter in a book)

Even if the article is 100% right, it can still be an awful movie. People don't watch star wars the way you would an art film and if it doesn't deliver on a visceral level, all of the fancy symbolism and deep meaning isn't going to save the film.

Even if the article is 100% right, it can still be an awful movie. People don't watch star wars the way you would an art film and if it doesn't deliver on a visceral level, all of the fancy symbolism and deep meaning isn't going to save the film.

Exactly. And Lucas said in the TPM commentry that he likes to have motifs and themes in the plot that repeat and mutate in a musical way. Of course, that doesn't mean this guy is right.

I want to go back to what Darth Wojo was saying about the intentionality of these symbolic and mythic references in Attack of the Clones. You're probably right that Lucas more than likely did not plan all those moon references in the same way that David Begor (the author of the article) seemed to imply. But just because something wasn't intended, it doesn't mean that it cannot be appreciated. Certainly the key point here is how smart and inventive and literate George Lucas is and for this argument to succeed in the affirmative requires a fair degree of intention on his part. However things such as the feminist readings of Star Trek to which Sacman717 referred can be enjoyable and enlightening regardless of whether these messages and symbols were ever actually intended. When it comes to feminist readings of certain 'texts' such as these films and television episodes, the intention is not necessarily what matters. Indeed it is argued that a text can convey unintended meanings that are significant and worthy of study as a means of deconstructing the wider systems of meaning and social values which they embody. But that'a little bit off the topic. :sigh:

CYPHER

Indeed it is argued that a text can convey unintended meanings that are significant and worthy of study as a means of deconstructing the wider systems of meaning and social values which they embody.  

CYPHER

:sigh:

It's interesting how your opinion of the movie has degenerated over time since your viewing of it.

I have to say that the article is MAYBE too deep.

Regarding SW being commercial, well George does his movies the way he wants - he does not have to ask anyone. In the SW movies there are things that people dont like, and george surely knows some people will not like them, but he doesn care.

And believe it or not, the SW films are the best Independent movies out there. Independent movies are not very commercial...

But look, it is always nice to read at least ONE good review about AOC, or aobut Lucas.

Not everyone sees the same thing in a movie. What is a piece of crap to one person is considerd a masterpiece by another.

You could probably analyze any film and find many meanings to it. I've read an in depth analysis of King Kong (1933) where everything was related to sexual domination by man or lack of sexual confidence by Robert Armstrong's character (Carl Denham). Funny I never got that out of the film but it just goes to show you what a person can pick out.

You guys know Lucas loves mithology. I'm not saying every interpretation in that article is correct, but I'm sure the SW movies have all tiny details in the disposition of a scene, or the color scheme or a particular line that have an esoteric significance.

It's interesting how your opinion of the movie has degenerated over time since your viewing of it.

but I still liked it.

I like Lawrence of Arabia, that is a long and boring film, but it is a great film too, not to be confused with AOTC which is an OK film.

I never get tired of watching Lawrence of Arabia, although it is very slow in some parts.

It's one of all-time favourite movies.

Romao, who will watch ATOC countless times when he gets the DVD.

Beowulf,

George Lucas has grabbed one of the most amazing stories ever told. In Indiana Jones he also proved to be highly creative in other genres. His storyteller talent is out of question.

However, I think the article may be a little overdone, a too deep, exhaustive analysis that would surprise and even get laughs from Lucas himself.

There are the creators, who just create, and the critics, who overanalyze the creators' works to find hidden meanings and put names and historical references to everything, in an excercise that is more an egolatric display of intellect than an objective observation. Just as this post will become if I succumb to the temptation to continue analyzing.

The creator just did it, and I don't think Lucas is conscious of most of the references explained in the article. I'll love to see more Lucas' stories become films, even more if they are directed and scripted by people more talented in those areas.

:(

Beowulf,

George Lucas has grabbed one of the most amazing stories ever told. In Indiana Jones he also proved to be highly creative in other genres. His storyteller talent is out of question.

However, I think the article may be a little overdone, a too deep, exhaustive analysis that would surprise and even get laughs from Lucas himself.

I agree with you guys in that the author may have gone a little too far in some of the topics, BUT I think that people (especially around here) underestimate Lucas and the prequels. For example, you would have to be blind not to notice the color schemes in all of the movies so far, and AOTC was not a let down in that area. If you noticed, AOTC had a different, somber tone throughout the whole movie. There was a deep undercurrent of red throughout the whole movie, and having a little experience with art, I appreciate that Lucas paid extra attention to these little details.

I dunno....I guess I was happy at finally seeing a positive review of AOTC as it was refreshing in contrast to all the negativity concerning the film out there.

Beowulf, I have been over at the OU basketball boards all day.

Its been quite a rollercoaster.

Love those Hogs.

Joe, also known as joehogjoe.

I just got back from Australia, where I saw that Star Wars exhibit too. I knew all this stuff that Lucas has been relating the saga to mythological story arcs and characters and the journeys they make. But it wasn't until I walked through the exhibit that all the stuff tied in to the prequels for me. It did add some meaning that I only sensed in three spots:

TPM -- Anakin destroys the control ship, his first test of his talents

AOTC -- Anakin raids the Tusken camp (like Luke, he cuts off a head, the first test of how evil he can become) and then admits it to Padme (further descent, with later remorse)

The article is a little too analytical, though I have read Masters theses on the SW saga. The points they make are interesting, but I don't put them to use when I'm actually watching the films. All five of them, at their best, are too entertaining to be viewed with such an intense eye.

Beowulf, I have been over at the OU basketball boards all day.

Its been quite a rollercoaster.

Love those Hogs.

Joe, also known as joehogjoe.

lol... Joe...yeah, some sooner fans can really be asses...but those are mostly the "fair-weather" fans that seem to creep out of the woodwork whenever OU is doing decent. However, since we lost to Texas A & M last weekend, a lot of these annoying fans are gone! So this is a win-win situation for us real fans, as OU still has a chance to get to the finals AND the annoying fair-weather fans have lost their enthusiam and left.

Anyways Joe, I hope to see Arkansas have a good season (they are my 3rd favorite college-bball team after OU and Tulsa). I hope you guys can get back to the point you were in the 90's. It should prove to be a good season for us. Go sooners!

Beowulf - who absolutely abhors fair-weather fans.

I think the greatest point of the article is that the whole SAGA to date (all 5 films) should be viewed as a series, not independent films.

That't the beauty of Star Wars. It can be enjoyed on its own. The sequels and prequels and novels, and comic books and video games are all unneccessary to enjoy that film.

This critique was a bit much. Even if Lucas intended to have all of this symbolism in the movies, it doesn't change the fact that Attack of the Clones is a poorly made film. It's dull, has terrible acting, lousy dialogue and uninteresting characters. It has nothing going for it. Even the effects are just that. Mere window dressing, attempting to get the audience excited over something, becasue the "story" sure isn't going to do it. I swear, if I hear one more person tell me, "Yeah it sucked, but Yoda was cool" I'm going to scream!

Neil - who will never be convinced that AOTC is a good movie

You will be,

you will be.

Given time Luke, and as you see real good films you will understand.

That doesn't mean you won't stop liking AOTC, it just will mean you will understand its flaws.

Joe, who will buy AOTC tonight at Toys R Us.

...It's dull, has terrible acting, lousy dialogue and uninteresting characters.  It has nothing going for it.  Even the effects are just that.

Hmmmm....that sounds so very similar, but I just can't place where i've heard it...Oh wait! I know now, its the same things that were said about ANH when it first came out! Boy, I bet those "critics" are kicking themselves now, because were they so wrong! :biglaugh:

...It's dull, has terrible acting, lousy dialogue and uninteresting characters.  It has nothing going for it.  Even the effects are just that.

Hmmmm....that sounds so very similar, but I just can't place where i've heard it...Oh wait! I know now, its the same things that were said about ANH when it first came out!

If by "ANH" you're referring to Star Wars (1977) then perhaps you should apologize for making a COMPLETELY FALSE statement.

Hmmmm....that sounds so very similar, but I just can't place where i've heard it...Oh wait! I know now, its the same things that were said about ANH when it first came out! Boy, I bet those "critics" are kicking themselves now, because were they so wrong! :biglaugh:

I was there when Star Wars came out and though some people gave it bad reviews the majority were excellent. And believe me even the bad reviews would never had said the effects are just that.

Simply put there had never been a film with effects more convincing than Star Wars. Never. Period. End of Discussion. I really don't remember anyone saying the acting was terrible, maybe uneven, or wooden, but not terrible, and no one said the characters were uninteresting. Alec Guiness was nearly univerally praised as Obi-Wan, something you will never hear about E. Mac's performance. Peter Cushing was also praised for his hissingly wonderful turn as Tarkin.

Joe, who will buy AOTC tonight at Toys R Us.

Is that a new breed of insults? :)

Look, Neil's words have been used on SW. SO who is wrong?

Luke I have always liked the film AOTC, but I have said it is flawed. I like it better than I do the score. And for only 9.99 from Nov. 12th through Nov. 20th, I cannot pass it up.

Luke, who will never be convinced that  AOTC is not a good movie  :)

That's not a very convincing argument, but okay.

And for those that say Star Wars did not get good reviews, I think I remember that film being Academy Award nominated for best picture. Also, the acting was praised. Variety pointed out how good Harrison Ford was in the movie, before he was the biggest box office star of all time.

Neil

Star Wars: Episode IV

Oscar Academy Awards:

- Best Art Direction-Set Decoration (Winner)

- Best Costume Design (Winner)

- Best Effects, Visual Effects (Winner)

- Best Film Editing (Winner)

- Best Music, Original Score (Winner)

- Best Sound (Winner)

- Best Actor in a Supporting Role- Alec Guinness (Nominated)

- Best Director - George Lucas (Nominated)

- Best Picture (Nominated)

- Best Writing, Screenplay Written Directly for the Screen - George Lucas (Nominated)

Academy Special Achievement Award:

- Ben Brutt for Sound Effects (Winner)

Only from the Academy Star Wars was nominated in 10 categories, won 6 Oscars and one Special Achievement Award. It was a phenomenon at its time. Can you believe a sci-fi movie doing this good?

Empire: 3 nominations, 1 won oscar and 1 Special Achievement in visual effects

Return of the Jedi: 4 oscar nominations, won 1 Special Achievement in visual effects

Episode 1: 3 oscar nominations, nothing won

Episode 2: we'll see. Probably a Special Achievement in digital imaging

Star Wars: A New Hope, the movie that initiated the saga, is legendary for a reason. Lucas hasn't done anything better yet, and the more money and technology he has, the worse he becomes. He's fallen into his own dark side of the Force :)

You guys from the prequel generation cannot understand the impact the original trilogy had in ours. It was a life changing event.

That's why we are sometimes rude and angry about the prequels, because we know what Lucas was capable of doing with much less money, control and technology. Oh, guys, if you only were there... you would understand our disappointing...

Star Wars: A New Hope, the movie that initiated the saga, is legendary for a reason. Lucas hasn't done anything better yet, and the more money and technology he has, the worse he becomes.  

You guys from the prequel generation cannot understand the impact the original trilogy had in ours. It was a life changing event.  

I like you post ideas but you need to tweak the links between the paragraphs a bit :) .

He's fallen into his own dark side of the Force  :P  

And built his own Empire.

K.M.

charlesk wrote:

I belong to the "original trilogy generation" and watched STAR WARS at our local cinema in 1978. I agree that it was a life-changing event. That's why I'm so thrilled about the prequels.

I enjoyed Episode 1 and Episode 2 very much and I'm happy to have this opportunity to revisit my youth. I also think that the amount of creativity and the love for detail put into these new episodes is remarkable and should be acknowledged even by those who do not like the films.

Luke, who will never be convinced that  AOTC is not a good movie  :)

Well it is AS convincing as this one:

(unknown poster  :roll: ) - who will never be convinced that AOTC is a good movie

Joe i said about the new insult breed as a joke. It seemed that AOC didnt deserved more than to be bought in Toys'r'us :P I'm glad you like a little AOC:)

Joe and Neil, i think you suffer from the same 'disease' un prequel lovers do. When SW aired you didn't minded the bad reviews, as we dont mind them now. BUt with time SW has been less bashed and more praised. I hope this happens to the prequels sometime :)

I have read that SW was critisized alot when it aired. It had bad dialogue, bad acting and silly-kiddish story. Even GL made a T-Shit with a review of that kind. I think it said that SW will not be remembered ot something like that...

I have read that SW was critisized alot when it aired. It had bad dialogue, bad acting and silly-kiddish story. Even GL made a T-Shit with a review of that kind. I think it said that SW will not be remembered ot something like that...

"I have read..." "I think..." "...or something like that"

Luke. You like bad movies. OK. You have read what critics say about the prequels. OK. No problem about it.

But please stop that bullshit about the reaction to Star Wars when it was released. I was there. Joe and many others were there. And we can confirm that what you're posting is complete bullshit. So please DO NOT TALK ABOUT WHAT YOU DON'T KNOW.

Thanks

"I have read..." "I think..." "...or something like that"

Luke. You like bad movies. OK. You have read what critics say about the prequels. OK. No problem about it.

But please stop that bullshit about the reaction to Star Wars when it was released. I was there. Joe and many others were there. And we can confirm that what you're posting is complete bullshit. So please DO NOT TALK ABOUT WHAT YOU DON'T KNOW.

Thanks

Yes, my master.

Just have a look at this:

seville-crowd.jpg

And of course I cannot have read reviews from 1977, how did i dare to say THAT!.

PS: Look out when i spoke, because you could be stained by the bullshit being vomited by my mouth.

Indeed there were some blasé reviewers who found the film shallow, childish and forgettable.

But they were vastly outnumbered by the scores of millions of people who loved it.

Stefancos- who kinda wishes he was old enough to be swept away in the current. :)

Luke, who will never be convinced that  AOTC is not a good movie  :D

Well it is AS convincing as this one:

(unknown poster  :roll: ) - who will never be convinced that AOTC is a good movie
;)

And Luke, if you were to actually read the post that my initial quote came from, you'd see that I listed several reasons as to why I think Attack of the Clones is a worthless pile of steaming doggie doo. However, you never made any counter claims. Do you really think the acting is good? Do you think the film is well paced? Why exactly do you like it? Just saying you like it is not good enough.

Neil

Hell, I LOVED AOTC, but saying that, I can still admit that the pacing ain't that great. The first hour for anyone who isn't really a big SW fan would probably think it's pretty damn boring, and I can fully admit that. I, of course, loved the first hour...