Saving Private Ryan

ConnieR.

Is there a soundtrack for this film that ever came out on CD? I've never seen the film, but I love the "Hymn to the Fallen" and I would like to hear more music from it. Also I was wondering if there are any Marches or similar in it, because its a war movie.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Saving Private Ryan isn't a movie that would contain marches.

A very good & gripping film that is undone at times by Spielberg's attempt to wring as many tears from the audience as possible.

overall it rates in the lower teir of JW scores.

I'm not sure I would agree with you Joey, although I do respect your opinion.

This is certainly not the score you want to put on for driving fast down the highway, but I personally feel that the hymn-like quality of the entire score is exactly what the film needed. It is an extremely instrospective, emotional score, with a good mix contrast and repetition. I also think the use of dissonance - in just the right spots - is very effective.

Ironically, a lot of the scenes that some composers would have scored with "battle music" are left unscored. This was intentional I'm certain, and so the score is left with no real "action" music. I think the visual tells all that needs telling. I agree with some that the movie was aimed at "pulling the tears," but sometimes, that's what you're supposed to do with this kind of material. Otherwise it leaves you feeling empty.

We do programs like that frequently in the Air Force Band here (in fact, they are doing "Hymn to the Fallen" on an upcoming tour to southern CA next week). It's amazing the impact that type of "over-emotionalism" can have on people who aren't into analyzing the movie and the score, like many of us here on these boards.

This score does lack a lot of "excitement," but but I think it's one that you have to take at face-value, and enjoy it for what it IS, rather than comparing it to all the tons of exciting action music from Williams' other scores. It is meant to be hymn-like underscore, and I think it is perfect in that role.

its one of those scores that everyone says they like, but when it comes down to it they rank it pretty low compared to everything else.

its one of those scores that everyone says they like, but when it comes down to it they rank it pretty low compared to everything else.

I'm just one of those weirdos that realy like this one I know...I actually do rank it up there pretty high.

I don't agree with Stefan about lack of emotion and too much repetition, but I guess we can just agree to disagree?

(Do we do that here?) :huh: lol