Films you would have liked Williams scored

Muad'Dib

Well, the idea for this topic is preety simple... What films would have like Williams to make the score? I mean, it can be past films or future films. For example, I'll start:

PAST

- The Godfather

- Gladiator

- The Da Vinci Code

- Back to the Future films

- Jurassic Park III

- Pirates of the Caribbean films

FUTURE

- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Parts 1 and 2)

- Angels and Demons

- Star Trek

- Tintin (although it's preety obvious he will)

What about you?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PAST

- The Godfather

- Gladiator

- The Da Vinci Code

- Jurassic Park III

That pretty much sums up my list with perhaps the addition of the first two Alien films. And The Color Purple.

Superman II and The Color Purple are the two I really would have loved for Williams to have scored.

Although I wonder what would have happned had James Cameron gotten Williams for Titanic like he originally wanted.

PAST

- Jurassic Park III

Personally, I think these films are great the way they are.

I think the BTTF movies, The Godfather, and Stargate are all perfect the way they are. JP3 is good, but it could have benefited from Isla Sorna music established by Williams for JP2.

Superman II, a sequel to one of his greatest scores and it would have been written in my favorite Williams' period (I won't say his prime cause not everyone agrees). Of course I would like it even more if Donner had been able to make the film.

but just think how much better Stargate would sound as an actual John Williams score as opposed to someone trying to do a score that just imitates John Williams.

I think the score to Stargate works perfectly fine in the film, and as standalone listening material. I don't have a problem with its imitative qualities. Case in point: I like Arnold's score to Devlin/Emmerich's Stargate better than Williams' score to Devlin/Emmerich's The Patriot.

I've always wondered what he would have come up with for "Airplane!"....other than that, pretty much every film has ben mentioned that I would have listed (although I wouldn't have put Alien or Stargate on my list)......would possibly add "Dune", "The Fly" (though Howard Shore's score is a belter) and - if I may be allowed an anachronism, "Gone With The Wind".

I think the score to Stargate works perfectly fine in the film, and as standalone listening material. I don't have a problem with its imitative qualities. Case in point: I like Arnold's score to Devlin/Emmerich's Stargate better than Williams' score to Devlin/Emmerich's The Patriot.

I concur.

lets be honest, Williams wouldn't/couldn't have done a better job on Titanic, Braveheart, the Godfather. He could have easily done a better job on Gladiator, Crimson Tide, DaVinci Code, and even POTC (#1 which I guiltily admit I like). He would have done so much better on the LOTR trilogy.

As good as Far and Away is, if you want the patented Celtic sound on a soundtrack, go with Horner, which worked great for Braveheart.

I totally love the Shore scores to LOTR. It would have been interesting to hear Williams' take on the leitmotif and choral-line rich tapestry of Tolkien's world, especially for the dramatic portions. But what's done is done, and I feel fortunate to have spent over $100 to listen to ten CDs' worth of Shore's LOTR whenever I fee like it.

Fortunate, gipped, whatever.

I would have settled for Silvestri on POTC.

Silvestri was a far better choice for POTC than any of the Media Ventures family.

It's a shame we can't listen to any of the demos he composed...

John could have done so much better than all those Godawful James Bond scores in the last 10 years.

the first two Alien films.

Hmmmmmmm...

That's not Jerry Hating, just I prefer Williams' style vastly to Horner's and for consistency, I would prefer he do the first as well considering he never does sequel scores to movies he didn't do the first.

the first two Alien films.

Hmmmmmmm...

That's not Jerry Hating, just I prefer Williams' style vastly to Horner's and for consistency, I would prefer he do the first as well considering he never does sequel scores to movies he didn't do the first.

And considering that Scott used like 2 minutes of the music Goldsmith wrote for Alien in the first place...

Dune is one that would have benefitted from a more conventional Williams-esque score. Same with Ladyhawke.

Although I would have liked to hear Williams' approach to Dune (maybe for the upcoming (?) Peter Berg version ;-)), I absolutely love Toto's work. It's in fact pretty much the only (mostly) electronical score I deeply enjoy (unlike such atrocities as Tangerine Dream's "Legend" or Moroder's "Neverending Story" (how good there were decent alternatives...).

Otherwise, there was a rumor once that Spielberg/Lucas were trying to get the rights for LOTR when the widely unknown Jackson announced his plans. Back then I was really hopeful to hear a Williams score, but I guess we received quite a satisfactory Shore score instead. But an interesting thought it is, no doubt...

As for Ladyhawke, yeah, you're right.

There are already several threads with this exact topic.

Anyway.

1) Independence Day

2) Count of Monte Cristo

3) Harry Potter 4, 5 and 6

4) Timeline

5) Lord of the Rings 1-2

Anyway.

1) Independence Day

2) Count of Monte Cristo

4) Timeline

5) Lord of the Rings 1-2

Oh yeah, Timeline; I'd like that. But please in connection with a better movie that actually captures the spirit of the novel (where did all the money go to in Donner's film?)

Anyway.

1) Independence Day

2) Count of Monte Cristo

4) Timeline

5) Lord of the Rings 1-2

Oh yeah, Timeline; I'd like that. But please in connection with a better movie that actually captures the spirit of the novel (where did all the money go to in Donner's film?)

It's actually one of my fav movies. What are the ugly things in your avatar btw?

It's actually one of my fav movies. What are the ugly things in your avatar btw?

Well, while I enjoyed the movie to some extent, I was waiting for all these great castles, monasteries, chapels, underground caverns, the fortified mill, medieval towns, ... that never made it. In comparison with the book it just is somewhat disappointing. And the subplot with the translator... awful (graduate students in European history and archeology that have no clue of Latin and don't even marginally understand French? Please!). The book has an interesting approach to the language problem (and doesn't just out of convenience pretend that English and French sounded exactly like today in 1337...). Anyway, you get the picture.

These "ugly" things are armadillos, which I personally find quite cute...

I've always wondered what he would have come up with for "Airplane!"....

Didn't he write the opening of the film? :huh:

Neil

Bloody tracked music!

The usual: Superman II and all post-PoA Potters. I've always wanted to hear what Williams' take on Star Trek would be, but there's no previous Trek score I'd really want to give up for that. And I'm sorry, I wouldn't give Giacchino's upcoming Trek score away for anything.

Now how about a weird one that just popped into my head: Labryinth. Minus the Bowie songs, of course.

lets be honest, Williams wouldn't/couldn't have done a better job on Titanic, Braveheart, the Godfather. He could have easily done a better job on Gladiator, Crimson Tide, DaVinci Code, and even POTC (#1 which I guiltily admit I like). He would have done so much better on the LOTR trilogy.

:huh:

ahem...

I agree with all except LotR and parts of Gladiator. Zimmer got some emotional points in the latter spot on IMO, and while yes, some parts of LotR do have a simplistic and drawn out construction, doesn't mean it's not effective emotionally.

Neil

Bloody tracked music!

it's not tracked. It's an original recording.

But yeah, Superman II is the biggie. I love Thorne's score (and had an opportunity to meet him!) but a fresh Williams score in the style of that first film could have been glorious.

Neil

Neil

Bloody tracked music!

It's also not a serious comment. :angry:

How about Serenity? I think Williams would have had a lot of fun with that, and Joss has a good sense for music and usually works well with composers.

The Princess and the Frog

I'd prefer Menken did it, but I'd take Williams over Randy Newman anyday. All the HPs, of course, and a Mission: Impossible. Any/all of them.

Neil

Bloody tracked music!

It's also not a serious comment. :angry:

I thought you were confusing your Jaws parodies. 1941 is tracked!

Neil

No joke here, I think Williams could've done a fine job with Batman Begins and The Dark Knight. I think those that say he would've been wrong for it underestimate his ability to adapt to each film. I mean, I think of the sequence of the first killings in TDK, and I think he just could've totally nailed it. I think he could've found the right tone and made a much more interesting set of scores.

I would have been happy if JW scored any of the Batman films, I'm not a big fan of any of those scores (though TDK has grown on me a lot since first hearing it).