Films you would have liked Williams scored

Muad'Dib

No it's not, it's not scored by John Williams. Don't you get it? The only point of a thread like this is to de-construct every single score ever written and say that it would automatically be better just because John Williams had scored it. El Cid, Ben-Hur, they all sucked because they weren't John Williams.

I never did like King Kong, either. I wonder what a three year old John Williams would have done with that, would he have turned out something better than that Steiner garbage.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lets be honest, Williams wouldn't/couldn't have done a better job on Titanic, Braveheart, the Godfather. He could have easily done a better job on Gladiator, Crimson Tide, DaVinci Code, and even POTC (#1 which I guiltily admit I like). He would have done so much better on the LOTR trilogy.

Ah I agree with everything said here. :)

5) Lord of the Rings 1-2

But not the third?

:P Forgot about that one.

Independence Day also needed a proper Williams score.

That's insane talk right there. In my opinion David Arnold's score for Independence Day is perfect. I don't think Williams could have done a better job than David Arnold for that score.

No joke here, I think Williams could've done a fine job with Batman Begins and The Dark Knight. I think those that say he would've been wrong for it underestimate his ability to adapt to each film. I mean, I think of the sequence of the first killings in TDK, and I think he just could've totally nailed it. I think he could've found the right tone and made a much more interesting set of scores.

Hmm, maybe something like Munich but more fun. An action score a la Star Wars or Indiana Jones would have been way off base.

Blade Runner is perfect as it is.

;)

Williams wouldn't have provided noise for the movie.

Vangelis provided noise, and not in a good way.

Williams could have done a better job on Independence Day too, thats a score I cannot get to like, its cheesy, moldy welfare cheese at that.

that doesn't apply to me, I think ID4 is just a mediocre score at best. Williams does loud and bombast too, just better

I think ID4 was a great score (by far Arnold's best) and suitable for the movie, still it would be very exciting to see what Williams would have done with it :-)

I could be wrong but in my opinion I think those who say "I can't get into this" for the Independence Day score is because they don't like bombastic action style scores.

You can't stereotype an entire genre like that. Pirates of the Caribbean and Cutthroat Island are both pirate scores but we know that there's more than a little difference between them. So it's not like you have to love or hate all "bombastic action style" scores equally. It totally depends on the composer's approach.

Sad....

yes because you know Im right. ;)

Arnold is a hack in my opinion anyways, I don't get the love for him.

No joke here, I think Williams could've done a fine job with Batman Begins and The Dark Knight. I think those that say he would've been wrong for it underestimate his ability to adapt to each film. I mean, I think of the sequence of the first killings in TDK, and I think he just could've totally nailed it. I think he could've found the right tone and made a much more interesting set of scores.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. A Batman movie without a Danny Elfman score is just wrong.

Blade Runner is perfect as it is.

;)

Williams wouldn't have provided noise for the movie.

Vangelis provided noise, and not in a good way.

(...)

Vangelis did an outstanding job. I rarely say that, but I think JW's music could ruin that movie, as far as its unique atmosphere is concerned.

How dare David Arnold be bombastic and fun!? Only Williams is allowed!

We all know that it's Williams who has first come up with bombastic film music.

Actually I don't think JW's music ever is bombastic. But that's maybe just me.

Hmm, maybe something like Munich but more fun. An action score a la Star Wars or Indiana Jones would have been way off base.

YES!! It would be amazing.

thanks for agreeing with me, ain't no hack means he is. :lol:

Not if you understand double negatives :P

As good as Far and Away is, if you want the patented Celtic sound on a soundtrack, go with Horner, which worked great for Braveheart.

I think Williams' Far and Away shows Horner how Celtic should be done

I've said it before and I'll say it again. A Batman movie without a Danny Elfman score is just wrong.

Wha? NO. Elfman perfectly suited the first 2(in fact, I think he could've done the first 40 films, but BB and TDK are far too serious for his bouncy style.

Since everything you say is a fact, you should keep saying this. Again and again. It's important that people know what's right in film music.

How dare David Arnold be bombastic and fun!? Only Williams is allowed!

We all know that it's Williams who has first come up with bombastic film music.

I think that was Erich Wolfgang Korngold :)

Replying to films I would have liked JW to have scored:

Ishtar (no it probably would have made that movie 50% less successful)

Wha? NO. Elfman perfectly suited the first 2(in fact, I think he could've done the first 40 films, but BB and TDK are far too serious for his bouncy style.

But A Simple Plan and Dolores Claiborne weren't?

I honestly think he could've adapted nicely to these--particularly, if Nolan was really keen on using electronics with the orchestra, I would prefer Elfman's integration much better than what Zimmer and Howard did. Overall, though, I think Williams's current sound could easily complement these films.