Johnny vs. Jerry

Koray Savas

Johnny vs. Jerry  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you like more?

• Superman: The Movie
    • Star Trek: The Motion Picture

Okay, so this was originally going to be a poll between JW's Superman and JG's Supergirl because of Pieter's recent poll. Then again we all know which one would win. This is a little more interesting, and probably a tougher choice for the many Williams and Goldsmith fans here.

So, which do you like more?

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Both are right at the very best from either composer.

Indeed Enterprise and the Superman Love theme are the two very best tracks either composer created hands down.

But Superman is just a bit stronger, today thats how I feel.

Yeah, Superman. If anything Jerry wrote was as good as Superman, it was not Star Trek.

Final Conflict gets pretty close for pure musicality. Also, Papillon is amazing. Especially the expanded version. And First Blood. But Superman is pretty solid. I have been listening to the blue box version over the past few days and damn is it amazing. Sonic Greeting scares me as to how good the writing is.....really.

Whew...! That's a tough one.

Ultimately, I think I have to vote for Star Trek. That one seems to call me back in a way that Superman ... well, in the same way that Superman does, actually; just with a bit more insistence.

Both are as good as scores get, though.

I'm not trying to ruffle any feathers, but can someone explain to me why they like the Main Title from TMP? I'm not asking about the entire score but just the main theme. It's never appealed to me and I've always felt it was a bit of an inaccessible theme. It seems a bit too "notey" for my tastes with the theme jumping all over the scale--definitely not one I find myself humming after a couple of listens. Granted, that is far from the only criteria of a great theme but I could never understand its popularity.

What about the TMP theme does it for you?

Why do we (or at least I) like the Main Titles from The Motion Picture? Because it's pure classic Star Trek goodness, plain and simple. I generally skip the Star Wars Main Title when I listen to those scores but for Star Trek I always listen to the Main Titles.

Superman falls apart by disc 2. I don't even consider it one of Johnny's best works. It's so sappy and overt it makes me want to dip myself in a nice coat of sugar and then shoot myself. The love theme is what I'd expect to hear when Mickey Mouse is having sex, not the love of two human beings. Furthermore the love theme just hasn't aged too gracefully.

Star Trek The Motion Picture is one of the finest pieces of music since Beethoven himself was writing.

Superman falls apart by disc 2. I don't even consider it one of Johnny's best works. It's so sappy and overt it makes me want to dip myself in a nice coat of sugar and then shoot myself. The love theme is what I'd expect to hear when Mickey Mouse is having sex, not the love of two human beings. Furthermore the love theme just hasn't aged too gracefully.

Star Trek The Motion Picture is one of the finest pieces of music since Beethoven himself was writing.

I feel EXACTLY the same way. Superman is simply sublime until it gets to all the Metropolis stuff and that goofy "March of the Villains theme". But The Krypton, Smallville and North Pole material is fantastic. Star Trek is sublime form start to finish and that's why I pick it.

good Lord, what an insult to the Superman Love theme, the greatest work ever by JW.

Well, it's not about the love between two EARTHLINGS, that's for sure

But they are both Beings, and are both of Humanoid shape, so....

...Did I really just type that?

;) The Love Theme is the ultimate theme when it comes to timid love.

I think Star Trek TMP is the better overall score, but Superman has the better themes.

I agree. Nothing in TMP is as good as the Love Theme or the March, but overall TMP wins just by a bit.

;) The Love Theme is the ultimate theme when it comes to timid love.

I think Star Trek TMP is the better overall score, but Superman has the better themes.

I agree. Nothing in TMP is as good as the Love Theme or the March, but overall TMP wins just by a bit.

The quality of themes is debatable but one of the real beauties about Star Trek:TMP is that its whole conceptual structure is so elegant. Like the way the V'ger theme is really a more ominous and mysterious version of Ilia's theme... foreshadowing the relationship of the two characters as the movie progresses. Star Trek is so varied in it's textures and tones yet it all feels like it is of the same cloth. I think it's just brilliant.

I feel EXACTLY the same way. Superman is simply sublime until it gets to all the Metropolis stuff and that goofy "March of the Villains theme". But The Krypton, Smallville and North Pole material is fantastic. Star Trek is sublime form start to finish and that's why I pick it.

Agreed.

Star_Trek_Poster.jpg

Easy.

I listened to ST:TMP just last week and thought that it would be the textbook example of how to incorporate non-standard instruments into an orchestra. It's lush, beautiful, and sublime, but... back when Superman Returns came out, I saw a commercial for it and when I heard strains of Williams' music, I got goosebumps. What can I say, Superman was the first score that connected with me. I remember holding up a couple of microphones next to the speaker on the TV to record the Main Theme off of an HBO airing back in '80, or so. And, yes, the cassette recording sounded like utter crap, but I listened to it repeatedly anyway.

Ya it's funny how people's decision I guess for a score can change so quick when it comes to a poll.

No one's opinion has changed, ST:TMP is a great score. Superman is just better.

yes, we're talking about two true 5 star scores.

and for the record I love the March of the Villains, I think its a great track, there are so many highlights on disc 2, I can't name them off the top of my head.

All this Jerry-worship here makes me wonder if we could hold a Thematic Tournament for him. I've only listened to handful of his scores--ones from the more popular films--so I'd be interested to see what the results would be.

Can we do it?