Johnny vs. Jerry

Koray Savas

Johnny vs. Jerry  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you like more?

• Superman: The Movie
    • Star Trek: The Motion Picture

I'll consider it. ;)

there are so many highlights on disc 2, I can't name them off the top of my head.

:)

I like Luthor's theme from Superman Returns. It's easily the best thing in an otherwise dreary score.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes, we're talking about two true 5 star scores.

there are so many highlights on disc 2, I can't name them off the top of my head.

How about "Chasing Rockets", and "Turning Back The World", for starters; the latter being one of my all-time top 5 Williams cues-double basses all over the place.

It certainly has its moments, Luthor's theme and the first minute of "Memories" being two of them.

More than just these. It's quite good score on its own, it only gets bashed so hard, because it doesn't stand up to the original. Few scores does, actually.

My goodness, sometimes I wonder on which fan forum I subscribed... :music:

There's no way to just be a JW Fan. It's either too biased for JW or liking other composers better. It seems you must choose one. ;)

Superman is a 4.5 star score. It just is. It's nowhere near perfect.

I can never listen to it straight through as it loses me far too often. It delves into typical syrupy John Williams underscore too much.

It's a score I would liken to a "better" Hook.

I think it's also a great deal of taste difference.

35+ people who were raised on that perfect sound tend to find greater pleasure in the (what my generation and beyond would call) Mickey Mousey syrupy music. Those of us born in the late 70's/early 80's tend to like the more intermixed syrup + mystery/dark/not quite perfect sound.

Illia's Theme > Love Theme from Superman

no, its not even as good as Leia's Theme.

No, but understand this, I think they are all great. We're talking Magic, Bird, MJ here.

Oh I don't disagree one bit. They are all great, by the true meaning of the word great. But some are brilliant great and some are just great.

If I had to pick 25 soundtracks to take on a deserted island with me, Superman would be one for sure.

and for the record I love the March of the Villains, I think its a great track, there are so many highlights on disc 2, I can't name them off the top of my head.

That's the thing for me. After Clark becomes Superman it's just a bunch of variations on the love theme and the heroic theme. As you say, highlights. I skip through the filler to get to those highlights. But everything on disc one is "don't miss a single minute of it" great stuff. I usually stop listening after The Fortress of Solitude. But the whole score to ST:TMP is consistently ingenious and imaginative.

But There's NO WAY anyone here can actually PROVE which score is better. If fact, it's IMPOSSIBLE to. So this is a poll which asks the correct question... "which is your favorite". Of the 2 Star Trek is easily mine.

All this Jerry-worship here makes me wonder if we could hold a Thematic Tournament for him. I've only listened to handful of his scores--ones from the more popular films--so I'd be interested to see what the results would be.

Can we do it?

Jerry really gained momentum around here once he died. I guess that happens a lot with artists. Some seem to be just hoping for JW to die so they can begin fully appreciating his work.

and for the record I love the March of the Villains, I think its a great track, there are so many highlights on disc 2, I can't name them off the top of my head.

That's the thing for me. After Clark becomes Superman it's just a bunch of variations on the love theme and the heroic theme. As you say, highlights. I skip through the filler to get to those highlights. But everything on disc one is "don't miss a single minute of it" great stuff. I usually stop listening after The Fortress of Solitude. But the whole score to ST:TMP is consistently ingenious and imaginative.

But There's NO WAY anyone here can actually PROVE which score is better. If fact, it's IMPOSSIBLE to. So this is a poll which asks the correct question... "which is your favorite". Of the 2 Star Trek is easily mine.

maybe you need to listen again because its not at all what you said.

maybe you need to listen again because its not at all what you said.

I don't know what you're getting at but after listening to these 2 scores over the span of about 30 years I think I've heard them both enough to know what I'm saying about them.

We've only had the Rhino version for about a decade or less. All Im saying is listen to the 2nd disk again, its more than

just a bunch of variations on the love theme and the heroic theme
. If you still feel the same way, no harm no foul.

Superman is a 4.5 star score. It just is. It's nowhere near perfect.

Agreed.

It's a score I would liken to a "better" Hook.

Disagreed. I give Hook five stars.

no, its not even as good as Leia's Theme.

True. But then, what is.

We've only had the Rhino version for about a decade or less. All Im saying is listen to the 2nd disk again, its more than
just a bunch of variations on the love theme and the heroic theme
. If you still feel the same way, no harm no foul.

Well, the second half is essentially the same tone as the original 2 LP (of which I had to buy a second copy after wearing the first one out) but I've got ol' Supes on my iPod so I'll give it a fresh listen today. I do love some of the stuff on disc 2 but it's overall just not as compelling as disc 1.

Jerry really gained momentum around here once he died. I guess that happens a lot with artists. Some seem to be just hoping for JW to die so they can begin fully appreciating his work.

Nope...Executive Decision, Star Trek Nemesis, Along Came a Spider, etc. are all still as pooty as when he was alive. <_<

The Blue Max, The Motion Picture, Planet of the Apes, Patton, etc. are all as great as ever.

Both are right at the very best from either composer.

Indeed Enterprise and the Superman Love theme are the two very best tracks either composer created hands down.

But Superman is just a bit stronger, today thats how I feel.

middle-finger-of-the-apocalypse.jpg

Star Wars trilogy is the Bible of film music.

Superman is A New Testament.

With these two ST:TMP is like... Harlequin novel...

Oh Please. Give us a break.

Star Wars trilogy is the Bible of film music.

Superman is A New Testament.

With these two ST:TMP is like... Harlequin novel...

Oh Please. Give us a break.

I agree. I had a listen to Ilea's Theme and I will say this- it's a wee bit more original than the Love Theme from Superman. Sorry but I cannot get past the Richard Strauss Death and Transfiguration lift even if it is only the first half.

To me Williams is the great romanticist, in the sense of how he approaches scoring and how expansive his orchestral palette is along with his sense of harmony.

But, Goldsmith was a master of modernism. Williams dissonant scores always felt forced while things like POTA, Alien and even the dissonant parts of Papillon felt very much an extension of Goldsmith's natural style. I think when he was called upon, Goldsmith could write a great theme but it was never as harmonically involved as Williams' tonal material.

That said, the energy in the action writing from First Blood is amazing. in fact, I would have to say it's still my favorite Goldsmith score followed closely by Papillon and The Final Conflict which has got some outstanding choral writing. Same league as anything Williams has written for mixed chorus IMO.

Superman The Movie is very good, brilliant even, but it is no Star Trek TMP!

As movies, they're on par.

As for the scores, 'Superman's underscore wallows in an old-fashioned and rather film-specific kind of scoring which i always found a bit grating. Just no music i wanted to put on for listening, even though there are some highlights (mainly in the first half).

'Star Trek - TMP' drags a bit in the middle, but seems to come from a much richer imagination. Still, the pedestal both scores stand on is a bit high. There are other scores by both composers which are no less worthy, just not attached to movies people can ape-love so dearly.

Star Trek 1 one is garbage. Everyone knows that. Only the nerds like it. Nerds also like stuff like Farscape and Stargate SGI, which says everything about their taste.

To say it is a better film than Superman is laughable.

Star Trek 1 one is garbage. Everyone knows that. Only the nerds like it. Nerds also like stuff like Farscape and Stargate SGI, which says everything about their taste.

To say it is a better film than Superman is laughable.

You discharged it, so the movie and it's accomplice fans came here to kill you. Then they set fire to the office, to conceal the crime but they were trapped in the elevator and perished in the flames.