1. 1. Which do you like more?

• Superman: The Movie
    • Star Trek: The Motion Picture

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love SUPERMAN, but TMP is better.

And for all its flaws, I love the film, too. It's far more interesting than SUPERMAN. Although you could probably make statements about one film and have it be interchangeable with the other.

To not like the music in TMP is to not like music at all.

Neil

You're an idiot.

One could say the same thing about those who don't like ST:TMP.

ROTFLMAO

Neil

You're an idiot.

And this could take all day.

I'm not sure Neil's comment is hugely different than 'if you think TMP doesn't suck, you're a gigantic nerd' in relative terms but I myself find it hard to imagine anyone not being enthralled by TMP the score. But, if someone doesn't like it, that's fine.

I love both scores, BUT, I have always had a problem with the sound quality of the ST:TMP recording. It has always sounded very flat to me with no depth at all. I would love hear someone do a re-recording of it, maybe with the LSO, that has better sound quality.

I'm not sure Neil's comment is hugely different than 'if you think TMP doesn't suck, you're a gigantic nerd' in relative terms but I myself find it hard to imagine anyone not being enthralled by TMP the score. But, if someone doesn't like it, that's fine.

I have my reasons for not really connecting to the score. Neil will just have to learn to live with it.

I love both scores, BUT, I have always had a problem with the sound quality of the ST:TMP recording. It has always sounded very flat to me with no depth at all. I would love hear someone do a re-recording of it, maybe with the LSO, that has better sound quality.

I can see what you're saying about the sound quality of ST:TMP. Personally, I think it sounds fine. It was recorded the old-fashioned way with close mics versus the heavy reverb sound which is in fashion today. I think there's a lot of detail in the recording. Maybe it just doesn't have that expansive concert hall sound we've been accustomed to since the 90's.

What Neil should've said is "To not like the music in TMP is to not like GOOD music at all."

Which whilst still being a daft thing to say, would've at least been a tad more acceptable and a lot less stupid.

TMP score is good, but not even close to some of my favorite scores. I guarantee I'll like Giacchino's score more than any of the others.

No offense but that's like saying you like Brittany Spears more than Prokofiev. But hey, it's your opinion so have fun!

I will submit that Giacchino's LOST work these days is pretty damn solid so I am hopeful that he will deliver a really fun score. He's certainly got the talent and chops. I do hope he brings some of his own style to the table on this. I can see it being hard having been preceded by Goldsmith, Horner, and Rosenman.

No offense but that's like saying you like Brittany Spears more than Prokofiev. But hey, it's your opinion so have fun!

britney_spears.jpg vs sjff_04_img1585.jpg

Yea, really, what's not to love?

Now...take your finger off the Mute button...

But hey, it's your opinion so have fun!

And fun he will have. In spite of your patronising and boringly elitist remark.

Boringly elitist? Perhaps you ought to let Koray rebut my post. Giacchino ain't Goldsmith. And as I recall, the mere mention of Giacchino being a young John Williams threw some forum members into an uproar. So I guess it's okay to equate a young and upcoming composer to a respected fixture in the film scoring community as long as it isn't John Williams eh?

p.s. I'm really effing tired of people throwing out the E-bomb whenever someone entertains some kind of higher aesthetic about the quality of music.

Boringly elitist? Perhaps you ought to let Koray rebut my post. Giacchino ain't Goldsmith. And as I recall, the mere mention of Giacchino being a young John Williams threw some forum members into an uproar. So I guess it's okay to equate a young and upcoming composer to a respected fixture in the film scoring community as long as it isn't John Williams eh?

p.s. I'm really effing tired of people throwing out the E-bomb whenever someone entertains some kind of higher aesthetic about the quality of music.

Angel, now you know better than to go upsetting the rainbow around here. People could actually get challenged about their views on music and we can't have that.

:)

Giacchino isn't Goldsmith alright, he's better than Goldsmith.

It's called personal taste, ever hear of it?

Giacchino isn't Goldsmith alright, he's better than Goldsmith.

It's called personal taste, ever hear of it?

And the earth is flat in your world too pal. enjoy luxuriating in complete and utter ignorance.

Giacchino is still a long ways away from Goldsmith/Williams. Don't get me wrong, he's the best thing in the music world right now, even better than Williams at this instant, but he's still far away from Goldsmith and Williams in their totality.

Powell and JNH will never really get to Goldsmith/Williams.

I'm not ignorant. I respect Goldsmith, he is in the top ten greatest composers of all time. I just prefer to listen Giacchino, JNH, Williams, Powell... a lot of composers.

Which is perfectly fine. I like Giacchino and Powell too (actually Powell a lot more after his outstanding work from 2008). Goldsmith's best scores (circa 1968 to 1982) were often challenging listening as his real influences were 20th century modernists like Webern, Berg, Varese, Bartok, with a touch of Debussy and Ravel for his more impressionistic moments. I certainly warmed to Williams faster in my younger days because Jerry was always "the atonal guy" who was able to use dissonance effectively but which did not appeal to the ear a whole lot.

Are you?

Yeah, I overreacted a wee bit. My apologies. Got a spot of bad news yesterday so I probably shouldn't have been engaging in music conversation on this forum in the first place.

This Giacchino is beginning to bore me.

he doesn't bore me since he never excited me. ZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Neil

You're an idiot.

And this could take all day.

You're all idiots.

There, I've finally said it.

This Giacchino is beginning to bore me.

he doesn't bore me since he never excited me. ZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

That is until we hear the new TREK score and then we could alllllll be sorry

well according to Abrams its surpasses Courage, Goldsmith, and Horner in both scope and brilliance. I will be like the judge in Miracle on 34th Street, and I will keep an open mind.

well according to Abrams its surpasses Courage, Goldsmith, and Horner in both scope and brilliance. I will be like the judge in Miracle on 34th Street, and I will keep an open mind.

*Dumps a million CD's on your desk*

1 million Star Trek score CD's, all written by Michael Giacchino...

*Dumps a million CD's on your desk*

1 million Star Trek score CD's, all written by Michael Giacchino...

well if Abrams is correct its bound to go gold, maybe even Platinum.