Honey, I Shrunk the Kids Is The New Intrada Album

Jay

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Throw in Raymond Scott's Powerhouse, Nino Rota's Amacord, Dave Grusin's The Goonies, some of the atmospheric music from Aliens and one of Horner's sentimental themes and you have the score.

;)

I knew it! Mega-kudos to Intrada for this one - you'd have thought the legal crap would've prevented it.

$27 with the current exchange rate is a little steep though, and it contains 9 minutes short of the entire score. I'll need to think on this one.

Do I want this? Hmmmm... I enjoy some Horner, but have never seen the movie. Seems like a lot of the excitement is over the legal hurdles jumped rather than the music itself.

Will this sell out super fast?

Do I want this? Hmmmm... I enjoy some Horner, but have never seen the movie. Seems like a lot of the excitement is over the legal hurdles jumped rather than the music itself.

It'll probably go fast. You should see the movie it's pretty fun.

Well it's a decent if slightly wacky score - I wouldn't say it's just a legal victory.

I'm just deciding whether I like it enough, and if the music that's not included in this (about 8-9 mins) can be sacrificed. I'll listen at work if I get the chance and decide then - I obviously want to support Intrada, so I suspect the answer will be yes.

At 3000 units, you may have a sporting chance.

Listen to the samples. Now, do you like brassy, adventurous Horner music? Do you like gentle, beautiful Horner music? Do you like wacky, zany Horner music? If you answered "Yes" to one or more of these questions, then you should get a copy if possible.

...presenting nearly complete score with maximum listening experience in mind.

Oh dear. If this was a Williams score that wouldn't be setting off so much as warning bells as warning sirens.

As it is I'll probably pass, I have about all the Horner I want.

I nabbed it. For only 22.98 I figured why not, for Horner I'm mostly familiar with. I don't know of any other soundtracks coming down the pipe that I'd want.

The websites say it's out of stock because it's technically not in stock yet to begin with -- it hasn't been released yet. All you can do is pre-order it.

James Horner......

To me, his best are always be Apollo 13, Legend of the Fall, and maybe Aliens.

I'll pass this one and save some pocket money for a more important release.

OK I really don't understand why they'd release a 51 minute album instead of the full 60 minute score. Can anybody explain that to me?

OK I really don't understand why they'd release a 51 minute album instead of the full 60 minute score. Can anybody explain that to me?

Probably legal reasons.

Regardless I ordered from moviemusic.com along with Sneakers and Spiderman to get $1 shipping. $39.97 for the 3 CDs.

I've had the mp3s for a while, and mp3s of the complete score, just wanted to get a legit copy of the OST cause I like it a lot

I am so happy about this release! I never thought this would happen!

I am however a little dissapointed that the CD release is not quite complete and VERY out of film sequence. I almost feel like nitpicking it like I first did with the Indiana Jones set release, lol. Luckily though there has been a bootleg around for some time that does feature the complete score, which I may or may not possess. I also may or may not have compared the tracks and track times to this bootleg and figured out what bits aren't on this release. What's missing is not really anything major at all, but should be noted. I could be wrong on some of these, but I'm pretty sure I got it right. The following will make sense for those who may or may not have the bootleg of the complete score.

(the following 3 cues are only no more than 30 seconds long)

*The Baseball- the cue that plays when the next door neighbor kid hits the ball into the attic, setting off the shrink machine

*The Shrinking Starts- the cue where I believe the shrink machine shrinks the furniture

*Ron and Nick- the cue where the machine shrinks Ron and Nick

*Quark to the Rescue- the cue where the kids are in the backyard whistling for their dog to come to them and where they climb the flower and Nick falls in it

*Bees!- the cue when the two kids fall on the bee as it flies around all over the yard

*Ant Safari- short cue (less than a minute) with the kids traveling on Anty

*A New Pet- I believe this cue is after they find the giant cigarette and claim Anty as their new pet

Out of all those cues that appear to not be on the CD, the only two I miss are Quark to the Rescue and Bees!. Neither are entirely engaging or cues that highlighted the score, but especially the latter cue chronicles a significant part in the movie and is a nice and different action track in the body of the score. I don't mind the other missing cues though since they are so short and are mostly restatements of other parts of the score.

Anyone else here think my list is accurate? The only other things I noticed are that the Intrada CD track A New World (the part where the kids enter the backyard from the trash bag) seems shorter compared to the boot by at least 30 seconds, and the Intrada CD track Flying Szalinsky (the part where Wayne spins around on the contraption he made to look for his kids in the grass) seems about 20 seconds longer than the boot. But these could be time errors on the site for all I know, won't know til we get the CD.

I'd also like to mention I may or may not have checked total time against the Intrada CD times and the boot, and the Intrada is indeed missing about 10 minutes total from those cues I listed. Still very strange thing for them to do... obviously a score that is almost exactly 1 hour long can easily fit on a single CD. And with so many complete releases these days it makes it even more strange. I know I'm nitpicking but I can't help it, this is one of my favorite scores. I remember when I saw the movie as a kid and always wanted the music! ;) One of the first movie I saw where the film music stood out.

I also now think I have the Intrada CD in chrono order. When you get it, put it in this order.

01- 01. Main Title

02- 02. Strange Neighbors

03- 06. Test Run

04- 03. Shrunk

05- 04. A New World

06- 11. The Machine Works

07- 09. Watering The Grass

08- 10. Ant Rodeo

09- 07. Flying Szalinsky

10- 08. Night Time

11- 05. Scorpion Attack

12- 12. Lawn Mower

13- 13. Eaten Alive

14- 14. Big Russ Volunteers

15- 15. Thanksgiving Dinner

And for those that may or may not have the bootleg with the same titles I mentioned above, you would stick in the missing bits like this:

01- 01. Main Title

02- 02. Strange Neighbors

03- 06. Test Run

04- *The Baseball

05- *The Shrinking Starts

06- *Ron and Nick

07- 03. Shrunk

08- 04. A New World

09- *Quark to the Rescue

10- *Bees!

11- 11. The Machine Works

12- 09. Watering The Grass

13- 10. Ant Rodeo

14- 07. Flying Szalinsky

15- *Ant Safari

16- *A New Pet

17- 08. Night Time

18- 05. Scorpion Attack

19- 12. Lawn Mower

20- 13. Eaten Alive

21- 14. Big Russ Volunteers

22- 15. Thanksgiving Dinner

Would you be so kind and post that in the Chronological Film Score Thread as well, please?

Wish granted. ;)

I hope no one minded me mentioning the bootleg on the forums. Although I may or may not own the bootleg, I am still purchasing this release. ;) I'm sure the sound quality on it is much more fantastic as well.

I agree with the above list about the missing music. It's definitely disappointing that they didn't include the whole score, and for what I'd be paying for it (and given that it all fits on one CD), I would've expected the whole thing.

Presents a dilemma because I really do want to support Intrada, but I would still feel I had to keep a few cues from the boot, which devalues the actual CD.

scallenger, thank you for your very informative post!

I think its a shame that Intrada worked with Horner and allowed him to release a non-complete non-chronological score. I'm all for working with the composers, getting their thoughts and notes, making sure you don't miss any alternates or album version they would like to be presented...... but come on, complete and chronological is the way to go 100% of the time if you have the space and budget, which they clearly did

Well Intrada is sold out of this. Those of you who were pondering on getting it some other vendors have it. I think MovieMusic still does and you could check SAE. I would hurry though it looks like a hot item.

It's not sold out yet, the actual date is 03/06/09 so that's why they have "Out Of Stock" listed.

If the the worst thing about this score is that it's not in chronological order then so be it. When you involve a composer you risk having these problems. Intrada might not have been able to release it without Horner's involvement. I think it says alot that Horner would go back and re-visit a 20 year old score for a release.

On a side note I didn't realize the score was performed by the LSO. I never noticed it in the credits.

the Intrada CD track Flying Szalinsky (the part where Wayne spins around on the contraption he made to look for his kids in the grass) seems about 20 seconds longer than the boot.

Perhaps they included "Ant Safari" at the end of the track?

I can live with the score to a movie that I haven't watched in 15 years, and probably won't again unless it's on TV, not originally being in score order, especially since I can re-sequence it later.

the Intrada CD track Flying Szalinsky (the part where Wayne spins around on the contraption he made to look for his kids in the grass) seems about 20 seconds longer than the boot.

Perhaps they included "Ant Safari" at the end of the track?

No, I don't think so because "Ant Safari" is about 48 seconds long, it'd be too long to attach after that cue, let alone would be a bit jarring in tone comparison. I guess we won't know for sure about this or the other cue I mentioned being shorter until we get the CD. So I'm holding onto my entire bootleg until I get it just in case. :lol: I am glad that we are able to replace most of the tracks on the bootleg for sure though. I can't wait to hear "Lawn Mower" in remastered CD quality! It has the kind of scary rendition of the main title them with the organ at a REALLY fast tempo!

If the the worst thing about this score is that it's not in chronological order then so be it.

But that isn't the worst thing about the release. The worst thing is that it is missing 10 minutes. :lol:

If there was no boot, I'd easily buy it, but it's the absence of that 10 minutes that's available by other means that makes me reluctant to invest in this.

I'm listening now to Quark to the Rescue and it's a cue I'd really like to have, but it's not on the CD.

I tried to order it from Intrada, but whenever I submitted the order, I got an error message telling me that they just changed the shipping prices and the order wasn't placed for that reason ?!? Well, I then ordered from MovieMusic instead (and will probably get 5 CDs from Intrada, one for each failed attempt... :lol: )

Looking forward to the CD, but will never understand what these people are thinking when they release -without reason- incomplete scores. I would suggest to not include composers in the process in the future (except for maybe an interview). I sometimes think many composers have the opinion that we don't deserve all the music, or that it is not artful enough to release it in the order it appears in the movie. I understand decisions such at these when there are time or money constraints or pressure by the studio, but here? Please.

Right. I completely understand why OSTs produced at the time of the film's release are made with the composer's input, and may not be in chronological order, and may be missing important cues.

But a limited release 20 years later that only score aficionados will buy? Complete and Chronological is the only way to go unless space or budget prevents it.

It was recorded with the LSO. This isn't a case of huge re-use fees. It sounds like it's just Horner chose to omit 9 minutes of the full score for the album release.

Unless the liner notes indicate that the source materials were damaged or whatever, that seems to be the case

I tried to order it from Intrada, but whenever I submitted the order, I got an error message telling me that they just changed the shipping prices and the order wasn't placed for that reason ?!? Well, I then ordered from MovieMusic instead (and will probably get 5 CDs from Intrada, one for each failed attempt... ;) )

Looking forward to the CD, but will never understand what these people are thinking when they release -without reason- incomplete scores. I would suggest to not include composers in the process in the future (except for maybe an interview). I sometimes think many composers have the opinion that we don't deserve all the music, or that it is not artful enough to release it in the order it appears in the movie. I understand decisions such at these when there are time or money constraints or pressure by the studio, but here? Please.

I agree with you completely. Then again, I would. ;):rolleyes:

If there was no boot, I'd easily buy it, but it's the absence of that 10 minutes that's available by other means that makes me reluctant to invest in this.

I'm listening now to Quark to the Rescue and it's a cue I'd really like to have, but it's not on the CD.

I listened to it this morning as well and agree that Quark to the Rescue will be missed when I get the Intrada CD. It's a very nice underscore track, which there aren't too many of in the score (most tracks are loud and crazy). But to not want the CD because of this omission I think is a bit unfair. Although I am not sure of the sound quality improvement, I am sure it is much better than the bootleg's, and having most of the tracks, and all of the great ones, in better sound quality for only 20 dollars is definitely enough reason to purchase. Especially since it is limited, for a score like this, I'd rather have it than not. You just gotta hang onto a few bootleg tracks is all.

I'm not defending the producers of the CD at all, but I'm just saying I'm still surprised we saw this released AT ALL officially.

Since they apparently used the original digital masters, sound quality should be pretty good. This at least is something to look forward to.