• 4 stars
    • 3,5 stars
    • 3 stars
    • 2,5 stars
    • 2 stars
    • 1,5 stars
    • 1 stars
    • I'm not familiar with this score

Every few days I will post a thread on a random score from my collection that we can discuss and rate. I made a playlist on my computer with one track of each score I've got, so by using the random play option, I'll be able to post a truly random score each time. Hopefully this will allow us to discuss some scores that would otherwise never be discussed. Also we can record the rating so that we can create a full list of the ratings given to scores by JWFan.com.

Today's score is Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark by John Williams. Are you familiar with it? What do you like about it? What don't you like about it? How do do you think it works in the film? What are your favourite tracks?

indyexp1xl8.jpg

So far JWFan has rated:

See Soundtrack Ratings by JWFan.com.

This web page contains the ratings from all my previous polls as well as those of Blumenkohl's.

Final ratings are converted to a 1-10 rating for both rating systems so that they can be compared.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 stars from me too. Definite great score.

Five stars for RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK, clearly. But I'd edit the title if you don't want an argument to blow up again.
It's the same bloody film and the same bloody music. If people ARE going to complain about something, I sincerely hope they go and find something just a li'l bit more worthwhile.

5 stars from me too. Definite great score.
Five stars for RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK, clearly. But I'd edit the title if you don't want an argument to blow up again.
It's the same bloody film

Technically it isn't, as there's a couple of shots that are different.

Then allow me to state a less obvious and more truthful opinion.

3.5 stars.

I listened to parts of it last night, and it doesn't grab me in the same way that ToD and Crusade do. Some amazing parts, but it also has some areas which quite frankly bore me. And Desert chase is in my lower echelon of Indy action cues, sorry.

I continue to state the obvious. 5 stars. As Stefan above said this score does not have a wasted note.

this Doesnt exist, somebody fix the F*U*C*K*ing title

such disrespect to a great film.

Calm down. It's a damn title, and I use it to organise my playlist.

Hmm, I appear to be the only person so far not to give 5 stars (except the usual 1 star troll). Either means I have yet to find its inner beauty or you're all a bunch of fanboys :lol: I hope it's the first.

I don't think it really matters what the frak it is called. You guys knew what he was talking about anyway. >_>

5 stars, didn't connect with me the way the others did, but I still know it's that good. :lol:

Hmm, I appear to be the only person so far not to give 5 stars (except the usual 1 star troll). Either means I have yet to find its inner beauty or you're all a bunch of fanboys :lol: I hope it's the first.

It's the first.

Seriously, "Desert Chase" is one of the greatest action/chase cues ever written. It's a fantastic piece on its own, and it also just perfectly complements and enhances the scene it was written for. It's film scoring at its peak.

I'm not sure what exactly is boring you, but I find that it has a terrific flow, the music is interesting and likeable...I mean, this is about as easy as voting on a score gets for me.

Seriously, "Desert Chase" is one of the greatest action/chase cues ever written. It's a fantastic piece on its own, and it also just perfectly complements and enhances the scene it was written for. It's film scoring at its peak.

"Airplane Fight" makes for a great prelude to the main chase as well.

ok ricky in great britain.

I'll show you the same respect that this movie was getting.

The whole Idol's Temple bit is mesmerizing. The scoring of the approach to the idol and subsequent theft and escape is utterly majestic and enthralling.

Indeed. :29 to :34 in "Escape from the Idol Temple" gives me chills every time.

Raiders is a great score, nearly as great as Star Wars, Jaws, Superman, Close Encounters, and E.T. but not quite.

Still its enough for a 5.

Then allow me to state a less obvious and more truthful opinion.

3.5 stars.

I listened to parts of it last night, and it doesn't grab me in the same way that ToD and Crusade do. Some amazing parts, but it also has some areas which quite frankly bore me. And Desert chase is in my lower echelon of Indy action cues, sorry.

In no universe could I ever say LC is better than Raiders score wise, and certainly not film wise.

In no universe could I ever say LC is better than Raiders score wise, and certainly not film wise.

So you don't like Crusade much then?

:lol:

I'm listening to the full Desert Chase (the DCC one) now. It's a good track, but within Williams' cannon, there are many tracks I prefer over it - Quidditch Match, Jungle Chase, Belly, etc. I don't know what it is, but something about Desert Chase just doesn't grab me.

Thing is, Williams' style has changed a lot in 40 years, and combined with the slightly aged recording sound, his older style doesn't always work for me. I'm just not as much of a JWFan as most here evidently.

Neil

:pukeface:

In comparison to Star Trek: The Motion Picture, I assume. ;)

There is no....hey, you set me up for that!

Maybe it's residual burn out from last years onslaught of Indy stuff, but I was getting bored with the Raiders March last March when I saw Williams conduct it. I wasn't even into Raiders when I saw it last November with my sister back in NJ. All the hype and the new movie and then the box set have just left me with a less than great feeling about this movie and score. It's good, no doubt about that, but it's not Star Wars or Superman. Hearing them on XM the other night really drove home for me how much more I enjoy those scores as opposed to this one.

Neil

5 stars. Easily. While there are a few passages of underscore that are not the most enthralling bits of music I've ever heard, the whole is an astonishing achievement. A triumvirate of amazing themes that are used and developed in brilliant ways. Loads of really enthralling action music. Quieter passages that are really genuinely creepy. It's pure vintage Williams, right up there with the Star Wars OT scores in many respects.