Simple question: "Are you a Trek fan?"

Hitch

"Are you a Trek fan?"  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Now let's be honest, Captain. From one warrior to another

• Yes
    • No

For Joey's benefit (or not...):

Mara Jade was a character invented entirely by Timothy Zahn for his Heir to the Empire trilogy of novels, written in the early 1990's and set a few years after the Battle of Endor. These were the books that first named the Imperial capital planet as Coruscant, and introduced a slew of characters and concepts that were later adopted by all the other EU writers. Lucas later standardized Coruscant as the name of that planet for use in other EU material and the prequel trilogy itself, giving it first class canon status.

The backstory of Mara Jade is that she was one of the Emperor's select chosen Force-sensitive agents, unknown to Vader. Her mission was to kill Luke at Jabba's palace, disguised as a dancer, because the Emperor had learned of Vader's intended treachery at Bespin, when he offered Luke the chance to kill the Emperor and rule the Empire as father and son. Even though you never saw her in Return of the Jedi, even in the 1997 changes. For a reason I don't remember, Mara Jade did not accompany the other dancers on the sail barge, so she was not killed when Luke and his friends escaped over the Pit of Carkoon. The Emperor's dying message to her was to kill Luke Skywalker, a mission she was able to accomplish years later by killing one of Luke's clones. You see, Palpatine didn't die at Endor, he transferred his essence to another body, and because the Imperial Remnant recovered Luke's hand at Bespin, he created a clone of Luke from the DNA, taught him in the dark side, and tried to use him to kill the real Luke. After killing clone Luke, Mara Jade was at peace, surrendered to Luke, and became trained as a Jedi. She had a purple lightsaber a few years before Samuel L. Jackson. She ultimately fell in love with Luke, married him, and gave him several children before

being killed by the Solo child that became a Sith Lord

She was also seen in a Star Wars video game or two, comic books, novels, and was officially photographed by Lucas for the customizable card game:

MaraJade2.jpg

I'd say Mara Jade's presence in the SW universe is more than any other random alien you saw in the cantina.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For a reason I don't remember, Mara Jade did not accompany the other dancers on the sail barge, so she was not killed when Luke and his friends escaped over the Pit of Carkoon

She was a new dancer and jabba did not trust her entirely as to bring her alone in his private barge. (IIRC)

You see, Palpatine didn't die at Endor, he transferred his essence to another body, and because the Imperial Remnant recovered Luke's hand at Bespin, he created a clone of Luke from the DNA, taught him in the dark side, and tried to use him to kill the real Luke

Well palpatine's reborn is Dark Empire comic material. Mara Jade 'YOU WILL KILL LUKE SKYWALKER' mind order from the emperor was sent by the emperor at his death. It was a mad clone of Jorus C'baoth the one that trained Luke's Clone.

And now a word from our sponsors....

nimoy_kelly_and_shatner_tape_star_t.jpg

No Steef wouldn't have the strength to get it up

No steef would be dressed completely in orange :D

This is what he wears to work :P

Spacesuit.JPG

Fan of:

Movies

Star Trek TMP through to First Contact (Not seen Nemesis and don't remember Insurrection).

Scores

TMP, II and III only

TV Series

Classic Trek (TOS) and The Next Generation only.

Waiting for the new movie though. Looks poo hot.

Anything realated to Star Trek bored the hell out of me

But I love the Episode when Spock sings: Bilbo, Bilbo Baggins...."

... a classic

and yet you're a ROTS freak... :lol::)

Comparing Star Trek to Star Wars is still apples to oranges. One explores adult human themes in a traditional science-fiction environment. The other explores the concept of good and evil in a fantasy sci-fi environment that is both futuristic and medieval.

I accept that both have their pros and cons, get a lot of enjoyment out of both, and generally don't favor one over the other. But while I do admit there is a lot more good Star Trek than good Star Wars, that is biased because there's not as much Star Wars as Star Trek committed to film to begin with

I know I just sealed my fate for saying this, but... no, I am not.

Don't be ashamed! Personally, I like all the sreies, but I don't love them as much as some people obviously do. I prefer the movies, all except "Generations", which IMO, is the ST equivalent of Last Crusade; being an almost total waste of time, money, and effort.

Star Trek's got the whole Milky Way galaxy and all of human experience to tap into. Star Wars has its own galaxy, and then some, but you won't find any storyline that doesn't somehow involve an ancestor or descendant of a Skywalker or Solo.

Though to be honest, the best Star Wars stories of the last decade have found the timeline shifted three thousand years into the past, as the setting of the Knights of the Old Republic video games. But very little was different even back then because the Star Wars universe has been technologically, sociologically, and politically stagnant for at least twice that long.

marginally .I like the Trek motion pictures and scores but never was into any of the TV series

I do look forward to the new film

I like both Star Wars and Star Trek. Yes, it is possible to do that.

But I feel Star Wars is reaching the same saturation point that Star Trek did by the time of Voyager. With the Prequels, Clone Wars TV show and possibly a live action show in th near future, it has all become too familiar and dull. I'm sick of seeing huge droid/clone battles, crazy alien bad guys, Jedi deflecting blaster bolts and vast cityscapes. I just don't care anymore. I get the feeling that anymore Star Wars will just be more of the same.

Star Trek, on the other hand has more potential for surprise and reinvention. The Trek verse has never really been done justice on screen anyway. But the Universe in Trek just seems more mysterious and unknown than Wars now. I'm ready to revisit that universe. On the other hand, I need a break from the Star Wars Universe.

Yes, I am a fan of Star Trek. I've recently watched movies II-V having not seen them since childhood and forgotten much. I can't believe how much fun Shatner, Nimoy and Kelley are to watch.

But with that said...

633488359870176648-lightsaber.jpg

I don't have to search my feelings. The lightsaber is obviously THE greatest, coolest and whatever else; weapon of all time.

Sadly, even the coolest weapon of all time couldn't save AotC from terribleness.

Which brings us to the ultra geek quetion:

Could a lightsaber deflect a phaser fired at a Jedi?

:lurk:

-Mark, who's proud to admit he has no idea.