Béla Bartók - Concerto for Orchestra

MSM

There are so may recordings with great orchestras and conductors that I have no idea which one to buy. Any suggestions would be welcome. Oh, I like a clear, crisp and high quality sound ;)

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't go wrong with Sir Georg Solti and the LSO on the DECCA label and his CD/DVD of the concerto with the World Orchestra for Peace also on DECCA.

John Williams would later "borrow" some of the material in "Concerto for Orchestra" in ROTJ..."Approaching the Death Star"

Can't go wrong with Sir Georg Solti and the LSO on the DECCA label and his CD/DVD of the concerto with the World Orchestra for Peace also on DECCA.

John Williams would later "borrow" some of the material in "Concerto for Orchestra" in ROTJ..."Approaching the Death Star"

Haha watch out using words like 'borrow' these days ;) But I think you are right of course ;) Also I hear echoes of Audience With Boss Nass especially in the intruiging first half of the first movement.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Do you have an SA-CD player? The RCA Living Stereo SA-CDs are fantastic. They were the reason why I bought my player. They stopped releasing new titles (:lol:) but the ones that are out are great and all are similarly priced. I recommend them highly.

Neil

Was it wrong of me to say that the recordings of RCA Living Stereo are audibly old? Some people have a problem with that. :wave:

Like me :). How is the Reiner/CSO recording sound quality wise?

Yes, honestly it is an excellent recording, I'd consider it among the best of that piece. And as Neil said, for the price you really can't go wrong.

Ok. Thanks guys. Today I bought a recent modern sound quality recording (Oslo Philharmonic/Jansons) AND I ordered the Reiner SACD version :)