Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith

Pieter Boelen

Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (John Williams)  

77 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this score?

• 5 stars
    • 4,5 stars
    • 4 stars
    • 3,5 stars
    • 3 stars
    • 2,5 stars
    • 2 stars
    • 1,5 stars
    • 1 stars
    • I'm not familiar with this score

Every few days I will post a thread on a random score from my collection that we can discuss and rate. I made a playlist on my computer with one track of each score I've got, so by using the random play option, I'll be able to post a truly random score each time. Hopefully this will allow us to discuss some scores that would otherwise never be discussed. Also we can record the rating so that we can create a full list of the ratings given to scores by JWFan.com.

Today's score is Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith by John Williams. Are you familiar with it? What do you like about it? What don't you like about it? How do do you think it works in the film? What are your favourite tracks?

sw_ep3_cover_small.jpg

So far JWFan has rated:

See Soundtrack Ratings by JWFan.com.

This web page contains the ratings from all my previous polls as well as those of Blumenkohl's.

Final ratings are converted to a 1-10 rating for both rating systems so that they can be compared.

4 Stars

I was tempted to give this a 5. This score is special to me in that it marks the real beginning of my John Williams fandom. It's the first film score I actively anticipated and, aside from being fantastic music in it's own right, it carries a lot of emotional weight with me.

Still, it's lacking. It's just not everything the final entry in the Star Wars saga could have and should have been (the movie has to take a lot of blame for that). There's the tracking issues, a lackluster end credits suite and a not so great album presentation.

And there are other issues, but I still love it to death. I've never claimed it a masterpiece but it's a 'spiritual' 5 stars if not actual, if there ever was one for me.

It ranks on the top of my list for most wanted expanded release.

Here's hoping...

4 Stars

I was tempted to give this a 5. This score is special to me in that it marks the real beginning of my John Williams fandom. It's the first film score I actively anticipated and, aside from being fantastic music in it's own right, it carries a lot of emotional weight with me.

Still, it's lacking. It's just not everything the final entry in the Star Wars saga could have and should have been (the movie has to take a lot of blame for that). There's the tracking issues, a lackluster end credits suite and a not so great album presentation.

And there are other issues, but I still love it to death. I've never claimed it a masterpiece but it's a 'spiritual' 5 stars if not actual, if there ever was one for me.

It ranks on the top of my list for most wanted expanded release.

Here's hoping...

Indeed. I am going to give it a 4.5, though. "Enter Lord Vader" is awesome!

Indeed. I am going to give it a 4.5, though. "Enter Lord Vader" is awesome!

I agree, I always thought that was the best track on the album, but it always seemed underrated while everyone else was gushing over "Anakin's Betrayal".

I'll give it a 3.5, it's better than AOTC and has a few good action cues, like "General Grievous".

"Battle Of The Heroes" loses steam after a few listens and the sloppy use of "The Duel" from TESB is a bad choice. Most of the film is overscored, especially the duels that occur.

3,5 stars.

There is some really good material in there. But it doesn't seem to create any unity anymore. AOTC,, as generic as it sounds at places, is much more focused and, in this sense, more Star Wars-like. ROTS has some really emotionally powerful material, but doesn't follow a pattern. Which is its major flaw. I like all the lament cues, but I wish they were more thematic. I know, I know. It is a modern adult JW. But then again it's SW as well. And as it stands, it's inconsequntial.

Karol

This is a tough one for me. I suppose I'll give it a 4.5. Not a classic, but probably underrrated on this board, and I definitely have a soft spot for it. Heck, it was the first complete soundtrack I crafted...

I was feeling good so I gave it a 2.

Pretty much great when its the Star Wars music, pretty much bad when its new music for this film.

Battle of the Heroes is poorly titled, and is John painting by numbers.

Better score than the film deserves.

As Mark said better than AOTC which is just bad.

3 stars, it has some outstanding tracks (Enter Lord Vader, Anakin's Dark Deeds) but the rest is just ok, I don't like most of the action cues, they sound generic and pretty much all the same to me. The reused material from Empire is bad too. It's very far from the great OT scores and even from TPM.

The CD is pretty bad indeed, I'm sure when a better version is released my opinion of the score will improve.

Battle of the Heroes is poorly titled

Anakin and Obi-Wan were both heroes of the Clone Wars.

Anakin becomes a fallen hero and they battle each other.

What's so misfitting about the title?

4 stars .

Pretty awsome .I've listened to it countless times and I'm obsessed with the expanded edit. It's only flaw is the re-recorded material : The Duel, Guigon's Funeral and Throne Room .

The rerecorded stuff gets much more diluted in the expanded score but sticks out in the OST .I find the OST very poor for the overall appreciation of the score . The unreleased music really pushes it to greatness

3.5 (although I'm not sure what I voted in the poll - I knocked my mouse over a few seconds ago, the page flashed, and it said I'd submitted my vote...)

Has some good parts, but lacks the unity of TPM (the only other SW score I like in full) and the album for me has the usual signs of a JW assembly.

Hitler was medalled for WWI, do you consider him a hero?

The murderer of children is no hero

Point of view is key. Remember, all those people were on the side of Palpatine, so they might consider him a hero. Like Battle of the Heroes of each side.

4. I actually prefer the album arrangement to the complete score, despite a few cues("I am the Senate", "Battle Over Coruscant" etc.) that I feel should be included. The score itself is really in shambles, so I feel the JW Album Syndrome helped it more than hurt.

The score itself is just average.

No, not US. But clearly the nazi party thought so. As Taikomochi said, its from the point of view.

People always complained too about the 'There are heroes on both sides' as uncomprenhensible.

In the Crusades, Richard lionheart was a hero for the christians and a villain for the muslims. And Vice-versa for Saladin.

I dont get the trouble understanding that.

I agree the expanded/complete score for it is a much better listening experience than the OST ever will be. Speaking of the score I'm currently listening to my complete edit right now.

Hitler...

You lose.

you're not the first to play that card, but here its fair game, because we are talking murderous people in power, one real and one fictional, its a fair application and comparison. Next

Even without a Hitler comparison, Anakin still murdered a roomful of children and later murdered unarmed and surrendered enemies.

that sounds very heroic. :o:|:|

Joe, I'm sure Williams titled the track "Battle of the Heroes" because he approves of people murdering children. What an awful man he has become in these past years!

I reserve 1 for AOTC.

What, then, do you reserve for Pirates? :P

Also, I'm honored that I mean enough to you to make it into your sig, despite the fact that if you wanted to keep going with the German jokes, you really should have written "blau" instead of "bleu."

- Datameister, who's an American.