Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith

Pieter Boelen

Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (John Williams)  

83 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this score?

• 5 stars
    • 4,5 stars
    • 4 stars
    • 3,5 stars
    • 3 stars
    • 2,5 stars
    • 2 stars
    • 1,5 stars
    • 1 stars
    • I'm not familiar with this score

I certainly agree with that, but I'm more bothered by the direct rips from older scores than by the use of existing themes. Leia's theme and Luke's theme in "A New Hope and End Title"? Beautiful. Material copied note-for-note from "Clash of the Lightsabers"? Not so much.

I have no problem with the use of the main theme in all 6 films.

I love the main theme, but I wish John had chosen not to use it, actually I think it was George who wanted it used, and John may have simply agreed.

John Williams biggest mistake IMHO is he should have never even used the Star Wars theme for the prequels,

He would have drawn heavy fire if he hadn't. It's what everyone associates with Star Wars; imagine the opening crawl or the end credits with different music in place. It's just wrong. He mostly kept it out of the scores themselves, however, which was an appropriate decision, as far as I'm concerned, considering its primary leitmotivic use as Luke's theme.

and later his misuse of themes that had no place. Rots is full of music that belongs to Star Wars, not revenge of the sith. Thats why I think this score is blah.

You've brought that up before, but I still think it's baloney. He unnecessarily quotes the ESB lightsaber duel, yes, and the stuff with Leia's theme and the throne room cue in the credits are weird. But altogether, those constitute a very small part of the score. The vast majority of it is either new material or appropriate statements of the Force theme and Battle of the Heroes, with a few quotes from the other prequel scores thrown in. Oh, and yes, "Binary Sunset" is adapted for the end. But considering what that scene is, would you have written something entirely different for it?

I wouldn't have minded the note for note copy of The Duel (though I would have prefered original music), I just hate how it interrupts an otherwise great action cue. When I listen to "Anakin vs Obi-wan" it is for the tragic action heard in the beginning and especially right after the first rendition of Vader's theme. It feels interrupted and less effective when we suddenly hear the oppresive version of Vader's theme.

I don't mind any of the uses of other themes, but I would trade any tracked music for original. And starting a Star Wars films without the famous theme is just...wrong.

indy4 - who would have loved to hear the Battle of the Heroes theme developed throughout the score

You've brought that up before, but I still think it's baloney. He unnecessarily quotes the ESB lightsaber duel, yes, and the stuff with Leia's theme and the throne room cue in the credits are weird. But altogether, those constitute a very small part of the score. The vast majority of it is either new material or appropriate statements of the Force theme and Battle of the Heroes, with a few quotes from the other prequel scores thrown in. Oh, and yes, "Binary Sunset" is adapted for the end. But considering what that scene is, would you have written something entirely different for it?

and I will bring it up again, and we disagree, its not baloney. On the cd it constitutes a large percentage.

As I've stated before and will again Battle of the Heroes is a bad theme. Not talking the title, just the music, its bad.

indy4 - who would have loved to hear the Battle of the Heroes theme developed throughout the score

I would have loved to hear Anakin's theme developed throughout the prequels, becoming tragic in ROTS.

and I will bring it up again, and we disagree, its not baloney. On the cd it constitutes a large percentage.

yes , that is true but you keep mocking us for making an expanded score from other sources . I bet you are not even aware of what the unreleased music sounds like and you have your opinion cemented from when you bought the c.d. in 2005

with JW you always have to take the unreleased music into account

I must say that I am concurrence with Joe here, Joey. Looking at the back of the jewel case, I can see only three Tracks that contain a large dosage, so to speak, of Star Wars material.

sorry Im Joe, he's just an imposter.

KM, I don't care what the music sounds like, you're obsession to having every single note is bizarre and unhealthy, not to mention great stuff to joke about. :P

of course if I did want it, I'd want misspadma's because her 111 minutes is clearly superior to your 97 minutes. :D

KM, why dont you start defending a score like Stepmom, which is a really charming score, instead of constantly trashing it.

I would have loved to hear Anakin's theme developed throughout the prequels, becoming tragic in ROTS.

Me, too. I was disappointed with that missed opportunity. I already could hear it in my head before I saw ROTS, and I was sad to never hear it come to fruition.

On the cd it constitutes a large percentage.

It constitutes 9.9%. And that's counting the lightsaber duel music, which is NOT from Star Wars. (I've omitted the main title and the start and end of the credits, since those are standard and not specific to Star Wars.) Granted, 9.9% is a bit bigger than I thought it'd be, but let us not forget that the figure is cut in half if you look at the whole score, which is how I was voting anyway. Do you really let 5% of the material written to affect your opinion that much?

sorry Im Joe, he's just an imposter.

If you want to be Joe, I can be Joey instead. I went by that name for a long while.

I'm thinking the pointless inclusion of the Throne Room concert suite has colored some people's judgement of the whole score. On my edit I took it out of the end credits and put it on the end as a bonus track, hardly ever listened to.

I'm thinking the pointless inclusion of the Throne Room concert suite has colored some people's judgement of the whole score. On my edit I took it out of the end credits and put it on the end as a bonus track, hardly ever listened to.

like I said a few weeks back, it made my dogs ears bleed when we gave it our annual listen, but I too count the end titles since all I have is the album, I don't plan on watching that awful movie ever again.

Idiotic posts? Who the EFF is Kerry Koldsmith? Jerry Goldsmith's idiot brother?

His retarded clone!

Scientist 1 : We've succeeded in cloning the great Jerry Goldsmith! Now he can continue writing great music! There was possibly a bit of brain damage caused by the cloning process, though...

Scientist 2 : What is your name?

Clone : MY NAME KERRY KOLDSMITH I LIKE PICKLES

Scientist 2 : FAIL

I have to be honest...usually, at times when phrases like LOL seem appropriate, I'm not literally laughing out loud. This time is the exception. You actually elicited a genuinely audible laugh from me with that post, for which I thank and commend you. It's a sadly difficult task. :D

And now you know the story of Tyler Bates' birth.

His retarded clone!

Scientist 1 : We've succeeded in cloning the great Jerry Goldsmith! Now he can continue writing great music! There was possibly a bit of brain damage caused by the cloning process, though...

:D

That could be a great artyjeffrey cartoon.

I deleted The Throne Room from my End Title edit

of course if I did want it, I'd want misspadma's because her 111 minutes is clearly superior to your 97 minutes. :D

KM

yes ,because I deleted The Throne Room .This means she used 5 minutes of music as echo-y DVD rips with SFX . Any SFX immediately reminds me I am listening to a bootleg and ruins everything for me

but it is a bootleg even if it doesn't have sound effects.

and if it comes from a video game....ugh.

It doesn't come "from a video game" .It's the actual Williams cues from the RotS recording sessions in near c.d. quality ,not synth substitutes...you seem not to understand that part very well.

And most of us doing this have become so good at editing you can't tell where we stitched things together

you're not the first to play that card, but here its fair game, because we are talking murderous people in power, one real and one fictional, its a fair application and comparison. Next
Even without a Hitler comparison, Anakin still murdered a roomful of children and later murdered unarmed and surrendered enemies.

that sounds very heroic. :o:blink::rolleyes:

Just playin' around Joey. Point is, he's a fallen hero. He used to be a hero. Obi-Wan is a hero and they battle.

Hence, Battle of the Heroes. Or would you prefer Battle of the hero and the Hitler-like Villain who used to be a Hero?

;)

you're not the first to play that card, but here its fair game, because we are talking murderous people in power, one real and one fictional, its a fair application and comparison. Next
Even without a Hitler comparison, Anakin still murdered a roomful of children and later murdered unarmed and surrendered enemies.

that sounds very heroic. ;):blink::rolleyes:

Just playin' around Joey. Point is, he's a fallen hero. He used to be a hero. Obi-Wan is a hero and they battle.

Hence, Battle of the Heroes. Or would you prefer Battle of the hero and the Hitler-like Villain who used to be a Hero?

;)

I prefer Battle of the Hero and the Whiney little Bitch whose dumbass wife still think there is still good in him even as he tries to kill her. :o

The biggest mistake made in this movie's soundtrack was not using the Imperial March when Darth Vader is leading the clone troopers into the Jedi Temple to take out the last remaining Jedi.

Indeed. That was probably my single least favorite use of tracked music in the entire Star Wars saga.

Agreed.

I will also agree with those who praised "Enter Lord Vader." I really think that the sequence (both musical and film) covered by "Enter Lord Vader/Anakin's Dark Deeds/It Can't Be" is one of the very best things in the film. It's a truly well put-together sequence, wonderfully finished with the terrific dark fanfare/montage at the end of the sequence.

4.5 stars from me, even though I'm teetering on the brink of 4. Really good stuff.

His retarded clone!

WHY DOES THE TALL MAN HAVE FURRY FACE??

WHY DOES JOEY HAVE A SHINY HEAD?

Alex, I'll take Why does Joey have a shiny head for $1000.00.

What is because he shaves his head bald.

Filmtracks has a frisbee rating for scores considered a waste of CD space. I wouldn't suggest that Pieter has many scores that would get that sort of reaction though.
I consider that a compliment. :blink:
If you want a great comedic, epic symphonic pirates score, go listen to Cutthroat Island. I just dare you to want to watch that movie as much if not more.
Great, epic symphonic? Agreed. Comedic? Not so sure... :rolleyes:

Good, but not classic or groundbreaking enough to being in league of 5.

Well, nothing JW ever wrote was groundbreaking, but there are still a lot of 5s. And as for classic, give it time. I say 4.5 to leave room for Empire Strikes Back, which is slightly better due to containing no reconducted music. Without ESB to compare to I would probably say 5.

I recently watched the film a second time (god knows why) and found the score rather good. The worst parts were some obviously tracked bits and this lesbian moaning scene with Portman.

Williams certainly was glad that it was finally over when he put down the baton after recording the terriblly uninspired end credits medley.

Well, nothing JW ever wrote was groundbreaking.

Really?

I think the last time anybody wrote anything groundbreaking was when electronic music hit the scene in the mid 20th century. Since then, everything has been refinement. There's no more ground to break, and that's a good thing IMO. Every possible combination of instruments and styles has been exploited ad infinitum. Maybe now people can get on with refining. Of course anything will seem new to virgin ears, but it just aint so.