Williams' Concerto for Viola and Orchestra to premiere May 26

Miguel Andrade

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great news! I hope someone can record it so we all can hear it.

Those who go and stay with Williams after the concert, could ask him about if he has began composing anything new for his future scores... Like Tintin :P

Great news! I hope someone can record it so we all can hear it.

Those who go and stay with Williams after the concert, could ask him about if he has began composing anything new for his future scores... Like Tintin :P

Of course he hasn't. He's more busy now finishing the Harp Concerto and preparing all the concerts from may to november.

If haven't noticed yet, on May 28th and 29th programs, Williams will debut a new concert arrangement entitled "Star Gazers" from E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial, featuring harpist Ann Hobson-Pilot.

Will he finally perform the gorgeous "E.T. and Me" in concert? ;)

If haven't noticed yet, on May 28th and 29th programs, Williams will debut a new concert arrangement entitled "Star Gazers" from E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial, featuring harpist Ann Hobson-Pilot.

Will he finally perform the gorgeous "E.T. and Me" in concert? ;)

Oh wow. :)

I'd love to hear that, even if it is the same arrangement as "E.t. and Me" - it's beautiful!

As would I. I'm definitely going to the harp concerto performance in NY, but I wonder if I can find a way to get myself up into Boston in May. It would be a long shot though, I'd have no one to drag with me!

Great news! :) JW is really focusing on composing concertos these days which is just brilliant! Viola Concerto and Concerto for Harp and Orchestra coming up! ROTFLMAO

And that new suite from E.T. is another piece of good fortune. Now we have to get some serious recording equipment into that concert to get the high quality performance on tape. Any volunteers?

Oh and a shame that I did not notice that Duo Concertante was performed last week at Tampere :( Damn! Any chance of reprising that performance in the near future Pasi? :) Pretty please!

As would I. I'm definitely going to the harp concerto performance in NY, but I wonder if I can find a way to get myself up into Boston in May. It would be a long shot though, I'd have no one to drag with me!

Greyhound from NYC is like $15.

Unfortunately I can't go to the Williams concert, even though I'm seeing right now that I can get front row seats for the Wednesday concert at $40, but since I have to work and there's no public concert on Saturday, I'll wait until Tanglewood to see JW.

I did however get tickets for the Apollo 11 Tribute concert on June 13th. Should be really BIG. Holst's "The Planets" along with other patriotic and space music. Please play "Spacecamp"!!!

Oh and a shame that I did not notice that Duo Concertante was performed last week at Tampere ;) Damn! Any chance of reprising that performance in the near future Pasi? :mrgreen: Pretty please!

I don't think it's not going to be performed very soon again(sadly , it really is a great piece!).

But I promise if we are going to have any JW concert (or any other film music related) in the furure , I will let you know...

• 2 months later...

On the main page it says that the concerto will feature a duet between the Viola and the Timpani. The idea of that sounds simply amazing! :D And if you read the description of the piece, you'll find that it has a great analysis of what represents. It could be one of the most intrincate pieces John Williams has ever composed! Simply fantastic! :D

And it premiers in 3 days! I can't wait!

Anyone is planing to go to that concert?

Someone record the Viola Concerto if possible, and Stargazers! :D

I though the article on the main page was very interesting and provided some great insight as to the nature of the work. I think it speaks to John Williams' character that he can write a piece for a musician and incorporate aspects into the piece that are so unique and personal to that player's life and musical abilities/style. Please, please somebody record this concerto and also the E.T. piece!!!

Looking forward to both pieces, too! - Though I haven't picked up his previous concerto yet since it's rather expensive!

(I will eventually, though.)

I think it speaks to John Williams' character that he can write a piece for a musician and incorporate aspects into the piece that are so unique and personal to that player's life and musical abilities/style.

Certainly a lovely thing for him to do for someone, as he apparently initiated the project of his own accord. Not bad from a man who is only "disingenuously nice."

My guess is that one of the big classical music labels will soon record and release Williams' viola concerto. Hopefully it will be DG.

How does one keep his violin from being stolen?

Kryptonite.

No. Put it in a viola case.