Williams' Concerto for Viola and Orchestra to premiere May 26

Miguel Andrade

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm... I'm hoping Lockhart makes them play "Stargazers" at the Apollo 11 concert I'm attending in two weeks. I already sent in a letter requesting "Spacecamp", but it would be nice to hear both.

Hearing "Spacecamp" live would be awesome!!!

Yeah! Unfortunately it isn't listed in the press release, but maybe as an encore? On the bright side though we know there will be Williams' music being performed. They will be showing a new film set to the Finale from "American Journey".

http://www.bso.org/bso/mods/press_detail.jsp?id=38100002

They will be showing a new film set to the Finale from "American Journey".

Thanks for the link. So this isn't new music then?

and a newly commissioned film created especially for the occasion with music by John Williams.

a new film with new JW music?

No. It's a new film set to “Space and Technology” from American Journey -- Ricard

Can JW go back to scoring something that has a chance to get released on c.d.?

I was just recording the Great Performances theme on TV hoping it might be clean tonight...nope.

I went to the Friday performance and listened to bits of the Saturday performance on the radio.

The tribute to Stanley Donen was fabulous. Very well put together, and a brilliant pairing of film and orchestra. I had no idea who Stanley Donen was before the concert, so I had no idea what to expect, but it was great. And listening to it on the radio (on Saturday) was like watching TV with your eyes closed - the effect of the orchestra (in Symphony Hall) paired with the film clips of the dancing was magnificent. And the banter / narration between Donen and Williams was engaging, interesting, appropriate, and entertaining. One of the best uses of film and orchestra at a JW concert I have ever seen. Usually my (now) 8 year old son sits through the concert fidgeting until JW gets to Star Wars, but even he was enthralled with the Donen tribute. First thing he told my wife on Saturday morning: "we got free food" [came with our subscription seats on the floor - amazing how much better food tastes and impresses kids when it is free - he thought we were royalty]. Second thing: "the man was dancing on the ceiling!" Third thing: "oh yeah, he played Star Wars, too, but the man was dancing on the ceiling!"

Friday:

1st encore: Yoda's theme

2nd encore: full Star Wars theme

I didn't listen to the whole Saturday concert, but my thoughts:

- I didn't care for Phil Vassar. I'm not a country or gospel music fan, and when JW is conducting, I would much rather his compositions or just orchestral music.

- Was the program shorter than the Friday program due to the late (8:45 PM) start? Why the late start? I didn't listen through to the end, but it sounded like they skipped most of the items on the first half of the Friday program.

Dave

I finally had a chance to listen to Stargazers.... amazing!

Kind of like how the new Marion's Theme is a more elegant version of the old Marion's Theme, Stargazers is a more elegant version of ET and Me. Neat! I hope JW continues to revisit his older works like this!

Stargazers seems very similar to E.T. and Me from the original soundtrack album with some modifications in the orchestrations. The harp is naturally even more prominent in it than in the original as it is a showpiece for Ann Hobson Pilot. This is of course not denying that it is a wonderful piece of music. :blink:

I'm going to put Stargazers on YouTube later today.. well maybe tomorrow.

Just wondering if that breaks the rules here?

YouTube links are allowed regardless of whether the material is bootlegged or not, is that correct?

I wish I could have heard that "Far and Away" piece live. I only heard the one for solo violin in concert before but the "end credits" arrangement he performed has such a bombastic ending that must be awesome to hear in Symphony Hall.

Speaking of which does anyone have the score for that arrangement? It has an irregular time signature and I'd really like to know where the meter changes are.

I'm going to put Stargazers on YouTube later today.. well maybe tomorrow.

Just wondering if that breaks the rules here?

YouTube links are allowed regardless of whether the material is bootlegged or not, is that correct?

Of course. If copyright holders want something removed from youtube, they will contact youtube, not some message board that linked to it

I just remembered.

Sitting at my table was a man who came from Paris (I believe). My wife and I were in the just to the left of JW right up against the stage.

Are you a member of this board?