Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire

Pieter Boelen

Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire (Joel McNeely)  

36 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this score?

• 5 stars
    • 4,5 stars
    • 4 stars
    • 3,5 stars
    • 3 stars
    • 2,5 stars
    • 2 stars
    • 1,5 stars
    • 1 stars
    • I'm not familiar with this score

Every few days I will post a thread on a random score from my collection that we can discuss and rate. I made a playlist on my computer with one track of each score I've got, so by using the random play option, I'll be able to post a truly random score each time. Hopefully this will allow us to discuss some scores that would otherwise never be discussed. Also we can record the rating so that we can create a full list of the ratings given to scores by JWFan.com.

Today's score is Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire by Joel McNeely. Are you familiar with it? What do you like about it? What don't you like about it? How do do you think it works in the film? What are your favourite tracks?

shadowsoftheempire.jpg

So far JWFan has rated:

See Soundtrack Ratings by JWFan.com.

This web page contains the ratings from all my previous polls as well as those of Blumenkohl's.

Final ratings are converted to a 1-10 rating for both rating systems so that they can be compared.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And time pressure too. The only SW album that really works for me at the 45-minute running time is Gerhardt's version of TESB. It is great how it manages to encapsulate the entire score.

Karol

And time pressure too. [...]

Karol

We had a topic about this here a while ago. If I recall correctly Neely stated he wrote the score in a hotel in about 2 weeks. Amazing result for this constraint time.

5 stars. It's more impressive than John's last two SW scores, IMO. The only thing it lacks for me is a "credits" suite at the end. I would love to hear such thing - it'd be spectacular.

I'm getting senile, I thought we already did this one?

With all these damn polls, not you Pieter, I'm losing track of what we've discussed.

But I give it 4 stars, not bad at all.

Four stars. Some incredible music, and nice to see very little reliance on the existing themes. Only one that doesn't work for me is 'The Battle of Gall', but 'Night Skies', 'Imperial City' and 'Destruction of Xizor's Palace' are standouts.

I'm pretty sure we've done it already. And it's not as good as any of the Williams scores.

I'm afraid I'm not familiar with it (yet), but I do have a lot of respect for McNeely and everyone else who contributed to the idea of a book score. I'd always thought that'd be cool...

I still say it's not a soundtrack. It's a tone poem, which is fine, but it's not a new concept at all.

4.5 stars for me. This is truly a solid score and Joel McNeely did an awesome job on it for sure. I too sometimes wish it had been a bit longer.

This is one CD I did have before I moved from Vegas, it's one I still have not re-bought yet but need to.

I am honestly not all too familiar with his Herrmann re-recordings. In fact, I am not all too familiar with Hermmann out side of Vertigo....

Which received absolutely one of the best re-recordings out there conducted by McNeely.

Karol

I'm getting senile, I thought we already did this one?

With all these damn polls, not you Pieter, I'm losing track of what we've discussed.

Not in my or Blumenkohl's series as far as I'm aware. ;)

McNeeley has captured a certain aspect or emotion which you can't find on any of the prequel albums.

Alex

While there is no denying the fact SOTE is a stronger album to listen than any of the prequels, I think this comparison is a bit unfair. Had McNeely scored these it would have been still endless transition shots, people walking corridors and talking. The tracking would be still there. He wouldn't come up with something more interesting than Williams. As much as I love SOTE, it wouldn't serve the film with the same title well. Or most of it, at least. As a pure music it's great. Imagine Williams doing tone poem like this. I bet it wouldn't sound like his prequel music.

Karol

With the exception of Zahn's trilogy most of the EU is rather silly.

Sometimes I find reading over watching can give one more inspiration because you're allowed to visualize it on your own terms.

Peio says he's a great conductor of Herrmann's work, so that means you are....wrong!

I was very impressed with his conducting skills last year in the concert. Accurate and expressive, something I can't say about the stiff style of Broughton.

With the exception of Zahn's trilogy most of the EU is rather silly.

For me, while a good read, Zahn's trilogy has the same problem as Darabont's version of the Indy 4.It was written on the knees, with too much of it being just mirror images from the Star Wars films. Too much direct quotes and such. His later novels (like Hand of Thrawn) don't have this problem. It is its own thing.

Which doesn't change the fact most of SW novels are crap.

Karol

Books do not have End Titles!

Nor main titles, but it's not the point. A closing suite would fit the album well.

The score, is not exactly for the book. (even if the state that in the liner notes)

Shadows is a Star Wars full work...without a movie. I has everything it would have had.

They could have used an end credit suite.

I cant believe many people put this work above the whole John Williams prequels.

Its great music, but i hear some Williams passages rip offs and 'fake' Williasmisms that is the fault of many imitators of Williams.

There is some genial work, like hinting Han solo and the princess in 'Princess leia's seduction.

Hmmm... Am I missing something with this? No way is this up there with the rest of Williams' SW scores. It sounds like he had two weeks to compose it to me. What thematic material there is, isn't very strong. For my ears, it tends to meander around more than it resonates. I prefer the close miked recording style of the OT to this concert hall sound as well. I keep it for completism purposes, but I can't give it more than 2 stars. You've all inspired me to listen again however.