Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire

Pieter Boelen

Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire (Joel McNeely)  

36 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this score?

• 5 stars
    • 4,5 stars
    • 4 stars
    • 3,5 stars
    • 3 stars
    • 2,5 stars
    • 2 stars
    • 1,5 stars
    • 1 stars
    • I'm not familiar with this score

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its a good album which i like very much but to say it captures a sense of emotion not found in Williams' prequel scores is going waaaay overboard.

Most of the prequel music does not remind me of Star Wars music either, so there....

But it sounds like John Williams music...and John Williams is Star Wars. :P

Most of the prequel music does not remind me of Star Wars music either, so there....

I knew you would say something in that vein.

Just say clearly that SOTE is better than one third (or more) of Williams works.

No it doesn't. TPM is probably the closest.

There are times when Williams quotes themes from the original trilogy and it just doesn't right when mixed in with the newer music.

Just a question regarding the scoring for the book:

Wasn't this work considered to be used for the LucasArts game SoTE which came for a Nintendo console? I am not sure if this work was really "only" scored for the book.

5 stars. I took a bit more time to get into this score than to JWs Star Wars scores but in the end I enjoy it tremendously. More a collection of impressionistic images from different scenes of the book than a score per se but McNeely does a great job in evoking the spirit of the SW. The Imperial City, Xizor's theme and the Destruction of the Xizor's palace are the standout tracks for me. Night Skies contains a brilliant variation on JWs original themes. Only bad thing is that it is really too short ROTFLMAO I would have loved to hear how McNeely would have varied his themes over several cues. But as it is, Shadows of the Empire is highly enjoyable and vividly expressive orchestral music and it makes me sad that McNeely hasn't gotten better jobs in the past decade when he clearly has talent.

Twice have I had the opportunity to buy this score, and twice did I pass on it. Once it would've been $10 (or free with a coupon), which I passed up to buy a rock CD which I never listen to, and more recently it would've been $16, which I passed up because $40 at the time was fine.

Perhaps I should keep an open wallet next time I see this in the CD store.

I got it for free with an order at Colosseum.

I hardly ever listen to it though. Perhaps I should.

Yes I recommend you do. It might take a few listens to fully appreciate it but it is worth it.

It is just enough loyal to Williams to give his music a nod or two but for the most part entirely McNeely.

Just a question regarding the scoring for the book:

Wasn't this work considered to be used for the LucasArts game SoTE which came for a Nintendo console? I am not sure if this work was really "only" scored for the book.

The Shadows extravaganza was made a star wars movie without the movie, so the score is supposed to be the score for the unshooted movie, and since the novel is the most extensive work on the story, they used it as a basis.

To this day my friend still calls "The Departure of Boba Fett" the "Gall Spaceport song." And to be honest, I do too... privately...

Heh...that was my first exposure to a lot of music from Empire too. Hard not to think of it still when I hear those tracks.

Anyway, I listened to this score today for only the second or third time ever, and it seems pretty great. The last minute of the finale especially is fantastic. 4 stars.

Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast served as my exposure to a lot of Star Wars music. Whenever I listen to "Ben's Death/TIE Fighter Attack", I think, "Oh, that is the Jedi Outcast Theme." Or whenever I listen to the "Alternate Binary Sunset", I think, "Oh, that is the 'sneaking-around' music from Jedi Outcast". I love that game....

I understand where Nick's coming from. Though my first exposure was Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight, the game before Jedi Outcast in the line of Kyle Katarn games. That was from the first bunch of games to include a lot of music that had not appeared on the 1993 Star Wars Anthology, which I had listened to to death by the time I was playing Jedi Knight. Others being its expansion Mysteries of the Sith, as well as Rebel Assault II, and then the X-Wing and TIE Fighter games when they overhauled the graphics engine and replaced the MIDI with actual John Williams music. All of those CDs contain the unreleased SW music in redbook audio format, that served to tide me over until the 1997 special edition soundtracks fleshed out all the music; if we had not gotten the special edition discs, we would have just cut those games apart to make our own soundtracks...much like we do now with the prequels. Since that game, DF2, was my first exposure to that unreleased music outside of the films, it's what pops into my head first when I hear such music.

It's like hearing a song for the first time and coming up with the wrong lyrics. You might sit down years later and read the lyrics and know what they're really saying, but those wrong lyrics were burned into your brain first and that's what you remember.