Best end credits from a Star Wars film.

Kevin

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it will be a nearly unanimous "The Rebel Fleet".

lex-luthor-wrong.jpg

"Throne Room / End Title" it is! Remember that this originated the "iris out" music and the triumphant finale. "The Rebel Fleet / End Title" is wonderful, but it's riding on the coattails of Star Wars.

I think it will be a nearly unanimous "The Rebel Fleet".

lex-luthor-wrong.jpg

"Throne Room / End Title" it is! Remember that this originated the "iris out" music and the triumphant finale. "The Rebel Fleet / End Title" is wonderful, but it's riding on the coattails of Star Wars.

Hence the nearly. :lol:

ESB. I'm sure it'll win.

However, ANH gets points for originality and sheer level of excitement, not to mention the only big statement of Leia's theme heard in the film itself, TPM gets points for fizzling out in a dark and creepy and cool way, and ROTS gets points for that awesome transition from the (inappropriate but beautiful) statement of Leia's theme into Battle of the Heroes.

The Empire Strikes Back, easily!

Absolutely. Especially if it's the version that appears on the original double album, and the Special Edition CD from 1997. The movie version (and the Anthology CD set) have a couple of untidy edits between themes, especially going into The Imperial March). I think it's fine music, and incredible use of the Love Theme. Brave (and successful!) of Williams to end the Finale with the Love Theme as opposed to the Main Title. It's a great and fitting end to a great movie.

1. Star Wars - the original and the best.

2. The Empire Strikes Back - very few end credit arrangements like this exist, the only few others that I can think of that come close are Batman Returns and Independence Day.

3. Episode II - for simply being an original arrangement like Empire with a haunting ending, which was unfortunately unused in the film's end credits for what ever reason.

I find it hilarious that ESB is the be-all end-all rule of John Williams. I love it!

What is Williams's best mixed score? The Empire Strikes Back on RCA/Sony, courtesy of Bruce Risner!

The throne room has the best flow to the end credit fanfare of the entire saga, because it was composed for that.

It gets my vote.

As far as end credit suites, ESB would probably be the most varied and better listening experience.

The throne room has the best flow to the end credit fanfare of the entire saga, because it was composed for that.

It gets my vote.

As far as end credit suites, ESB would probably be the most varied and better listening experience.

But...we ARE talking about end credit suites. :P

However, I do agree that the finale-to-credits transition is probably best in ANH. It's just so...exciting! ;) I love it. But ESB really packs a wallop in that respect, too, if one ignores the rather poor edit on the soundtrack. I like the idea of the SE ROTJ transition, but the meter and chords don't work right. TPM is a fun if somewhat annoying transition...AOTC is supremely dramatic, but in a good way...and ROTS is actually the worst of the bunch in this category, sadly. I was really taken aback when I saw the film for the first time. I loved the "Binary Sunset" reprise, and I figured this had to be the last scene...but when he did that weird jump from the drawn-out Dsus chord into the first Eb chord of the credits, I was like, "Whaaaaa?" It really made me cringe. He should have done the "Binary Sunset" reprise in Ebm, not Gm like the original.

1. Star Wars - the original and the best.

2. The Empire Strikes Back - very few end credit arrangements like this exist, the only few others that I can think of that come close are Batman Returns and Independence Day.

3. Episode II - for simply being an original arrangement like Empire with a haunting ending, which was unfortunately unused in the film's end credits for what ever reason.

Bingo.

It gets my vote.

But...we ARE talking about end credit suites. :P

Well definately 'the rebel fleet' is not either.

I'm sorry, but I'm not sure what you're trying to say. This thread is about which Star Wars film has the best end credits. You've said that ESB has the best end credits, but that you voted for ANH because you like the transition into it better. That doesn't make much sense to me.

I'm sorry, but I'm not sure what you're trying to say. This thread is about which Star Wars film has the best end credits. You've said that ESB has the best end credits, but that you voted for ANH because you like the transition into it better. That doesn't make much sense to me.

Since people started saying 'the rebel fleet' i didnt really know if they were talking just about the end credits per se or the cue preceding that.

For me the best finale is Star wars'.

I said the most listenable and varied is ESB, but i wouldnt say if they are the best... The transitions between the themes are marvelous though.

A tie between SW/ANH (the extended concert version, with the ending that was later used in ROTJ) and ESB. Though actually, thinking about it, SW/ANH has to be slightly ahead.

I like the ROTS credits a lot, I liked the kind of full circle idea with having the second part of Leia's Theme, and while I know it had been recorded previously, it was the first time I'd heard that Throne Room suite, which I dug immensely. I think it also fell in well with the whole celebration of the end of the saga (although I know a lot of people were probably celebrating for different reasons).

I think they all have something good to offer, but I went with ESB because it's not only my favourite end credits, or my favourite piece of music from the SW films, it's my favourite piece of music period.

it terms of impact and satisfaction its clearly Star Wars, its got a happy ending, great romantic music, the most original of the 6. Its by far better than Rebel Fleet and Endtitles.

ESB was a downer ending, Rotj had ewoks, TPM had a jimmy buffet sound, AOTC has the repugnent across the stars(but the last minute is grand), and ROTS is a retread of Star Wars only not as good.

ESB was supposed to have downer end credits: it was a downer movie. Luke loses his hand, gets a terrible revelation that just cannot be true, the Rebellion is near defeat, and Han is captured. Not exactly the feel good movie of the summer.

As far as music that leads into the End Credits, it would have to be Throne Room. One of the few Star Wars music pieces that cries out the most for anyone to turn the speakers all the way up and make the house shake. But for the End Credits themselves, I prefer Empire's, with Yoda's Theme and The Imperial March, which is another blow-out-your-speakers-hella-cool style musical pieces.

ESB was supposed to have downer end credits: it was a downer movie. Luke loses his hand, gets a terrible revelation that just cannot be true, the Rebellion is near defeat, and Han is captured. Not exactly the feel good movie of the summer.

Joe apparently equates sad endings with bad endings.

Joe apparently equates sad endings with bad endings.

damn you are so far of base, you really don't have the first clue.

I like the Rebel Fleet and Endtitles, I think its great, but its sad, though they have lost there is not any sense of hopelessness. Throne Room is happy, its GLORIOUS, JOYOUS. Its a great ending to a successful battle. That trumps Rebel Fleet for me.

I came out of Star Wars on top of the world without a care, my perspective on how I'd view films radically changed.

I came out of ESB wishing the next 3 years of my life away. If only I'd known.

Okay, Joey, I know I simplified things with "sad = bad," but you seem to have proven my point. You prefer the ending (music) to Star Wars because it is happier and more conclusive than the ending to Empire. There we have it. By the way, I also prefer the ending to Star Wars, but then that's because I feel it is so incredibly fresh and wondrous. Empire, by its very nature as a sequel, has lost a little steam.

Okay, Joey, I know I simplified things with "sad = bad," but you seem to have proven my point. You prefer the ending (music) to Star Wars because it is happier and more conclusive than the ending to Empire. There we have it. By the way, I also prefer the ending to Star Wars, but then that's because I feel it is so incredibly fresh and wondrous. Empire, by its very nature as a sequel, has lost a little steam.

no you were incorrect. I do not equate sad with bad.

I equate sad with sad, nothing more.

its only natural for people to like happy over sad, if they don't there is something wrong, that or they are just creepy goth kids.

Maybe we're just arguing semantics. If you "like happy over sad," then wouldn't you find happiness to be quantitatively superior to sadness? Whatever.

its only natural for people to like happy over sad, if they don't there is something wrong, that or they are just creepy goth kids.

Like all the JW goth fans who rank Schindler's List among his finest scores?