Best end credits from a Star Wars film.

Kevin

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They are NOT two sides of the same coin. Life is not a 50/50 split between the two.

You're using silly logic, Joey. Of course something is wrong if one prefers sadness over happiness in real life. (Or if one prefers inducing sadness in others over inducing happiness...but I digress... :lol:) But music produces emotions in us that are not exactly...real. Listening to a sad piece of music does not necessarily make me feel sad. It stirs virtual emotions, if you will, that are kind of interesting to experience, since they're usually not the real thing.

By your logic, something is wrong with a person who prefers to watch Titanic over the Teletubbies. Or a person who prefers to ride a roller coaster over receiving a gentle massage. These are activities we undertake to induce emotions that would be unpleasant if they were real. But they're not. So they're just kind of an interesting experience for some of us. And not for others. Which is fine, but don't take it out on the rest of us. :D

now is my turn to rolleyes, :lol:

you're assumption of my logic just proves you don't understand what I'm saying.

I hope your life is a 50/50 split of happiness and sadness, balanced, and calm.

Enlighten me.

And no, my life isn't a 50-50 split. I've been blessed with a large dosage of the happy side, for which I'm grateful. Not grateful enough.

then you do understand, life isn't a balance, Im glad you have a large dosage of the happy side.

no, I understand, music is a part of life, and one of the joys, and one of the sorrows.

btw in all this bull I still think Star Wars and ESB are 1 and 2, not separated by much.

data, I have a very happy life, surprising to people here, I've always had a great life, with a mix of sorrows thrown in here and there, but life is a blast. And John Williams has been in it since I discovered my joy for him in 1965.

it terms of impact and satisfaction its clearly Star Wars, its got a happy ending, great romantic music, the most original of the 6. Its by far better than Rebel Fleet and Endtitles.

ESB was a downer ending, Rotj had ewoks, TPM had a jimmy buffet sound, AOTC has the repugnent across the stars(but the last minute is grand), and ROTS is a retread of Star Wars only not as good.

The only ones I'd even consider are SW and ESB for their originality and fantastic reprisals of themes (and maybe just that bridge from Vader's theme to the love theme). Post-Empire they were increasingly lazy regurgitation of the concert pieces and in the case of the album version of ROTS, a bunch of music from the chronologically following film. If I wanted to hear "Parade of the Ewoks", "Luke and Leia", "Duel of the Fates", "Love Theme from Attack of the Clones", "Battle of the Heroes" or the score to SW, I'd just listen to them. The ending of Clones is the closest Williams got to the greatness of the first two end titles.

A bit off topic, but I think that the greatest finale of a SW score is that of AotC. And absolutely brilliant version of Imperial March, followed by an absolutley brilliant version of Across the Stars. As great as all the other finales are (SW and ESB especially), none of them are as good as AotC IMO.

A bit off topic, but I think that the greatest finale of a SW score is that of AotC. And absolutely brilliant version of Imperial March, followed by an absolutley brilliant version of Across the Stars. As great as all the other finales are (SW and ESB especially), none of them are as good as AotC IMO.

Totally agree with you on the Finale, AOTC has the best presentation of themes for a Finale. ESB easily has the best end credits, fantastic presentation of themes, especially The Imperial March how it blends with Yoda's Theme then Han Solo and The Princess, its pure John Williams Magic!

On a side note, what is it thats different in the film version of the end credits? The Imperial March is played twice and the second time its played I like it better than the first one, the brass sounds more royal and imperial, the first version sounds more dark. Can anyone shed some light on whats different about the orchestration in comparison to the first one?

On a side note, what is it thats different in the film version of the end credits? The Imperial March is played twice and the second time its played I like it better than the first one, the brass sounds more royal and imperial, the first version sounds more dark. Can anyone shed some light on whats different about the orchestration in comparison to the first one?

The first time, you're hearing trumpets and trombones an octave apart, I believe. Strings, woodwinds, and low brass take care of the stuff in the background. The second time, the (French) horns take the melody, probably doubled by trumpets. Much of the rest of the orchestra plays a syncopated rhythm against that, which is where the quasi-regal sort of feel comes from, mostly. I quite like both statements. I probably prefer the first, but they're both very good.

Darth Vader's Theme via orchestral hits at the very end of ESB end credits breaks the tie between it and ANH, IMHO. A stroke of genius to rival all strokes of genius!

I think it's clearly from Empire Strikes Back, "The Rebel Fleet".

OK, OK, you broke me down! My social security number is 078-05-1120!

:lol:

The only ones I'd even consider are SW and ESB for their originality and fantastic reprisals of themes (and maybe just that bridge from Vader's theme to the love theme). Post-Empire they were increasingly lazy regurgitation of the concert pieces and in the case of the album version of ROTS, a bunch of music from the chronologically following film. If I wanted to hear "Parade of the Ewoks", "Luke and Leia", "Duel of the Fates", "Love Theme from Attack of the Clones", "Battle of the Heroes" or the score to SW, I'd just listen to them. The ending of Clones is the closest Williams got to the greatness of the first two end titles.

I agree 95% with that statement. Well said. I'm not that hot about AOTC but I understand you're point.

For whatever reason Lucas or Burtt or Williams or Wannberg decided to track the concert version of "Love Theme" over the end credits, ruining what Williams had intended and sucking what little hope there was musically of conveying the somber tone of the prequels.

Maybe it's just because that by the time you get to the end credits of ROTJ, TPM, AOTC, and ROTS, you've already heard the concert arrangements of all the themes that get cut and pasted into the end credits anyways. Maybe that's the key phrase: cut and paste. It's what they feel like, especially because on the prequel OSTs, you get each of those themes exactly twice, concert version standalone and end credits, which takes up space on the disc from other, more interesting, non-concert pieces. Not saying they're not good, but they're not as good as SW and TESB.

The first time, you're hearing trumpets and trombones an octave apart, I believe. Strings, woodwinds, and low brass take care of the stuff in the background. The second time, the (French) horns take the melody, probably doubled by trumpets. Much of the rest of the orchestra plays a syncopated rhythm against that, which is where the quasi-regal sort of feel comes from, mostly. I quite like both statements. I probably prefer the first, but they're both very good.

thankyou for clearing it up for me, wish they'd put it on the Special Edition CD OST, I really like the second version :lol:

Throne Room is happy, its GLORIOUS, JOYOUS. Its a great ending to a successful battle. That trumps Rebel Fleet for me.

Irrelevant.

Neither piece plays over the end credits.

:sigh:

God your anal today

Like most everyone has said. The Empire Strikes Back. Since the beginning and ending is usually identical in all the movies the one thing that distinguishes all the Wars end titles is the themes unique to each movie. In that way TESB towers above the rest. It introduced the Imperial March, Yoda's Theme and Han and Leia's love theme. You can't beat that stuff.

The Throne Room is great but it can't touch the emotional impact of the closing rendition of the love theme in TESB (while Luke and Leia gaze out the window of the space ship).