Adventures on Earth

Taikomochi

27 members have voted

1. 1. Concert or Original?

• Concert
    • Original

Concert arrangement or the original arrangement? Personally, I like the original because of the great 300 seconds or so of buildup to where the concert arrangement comes in, at like 4 minutes.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those blazing strings are a great way to open it for a concert. BUT, if I'm in the mood, the buildup in the film version is pretty awesome, and makes the strings more of a momentous, 'finally getting going' feeling.

I choose the spectacular buildup - film version.

Adventures on Earth is the one time that I don't like a concert arrangement done by Williams. The original film version is so much better and can stand very well on its own. I hate the way the concert version gets interrupted right at the climax. Besides, it isn't that much shorter than the film version, so what was the point?

I am unfamiliar with the "concert versions" of anything from E.T.

Unfamiliar with "Flying"?

Original "Adventure on Earth" is far more satisfying, but I do enjoy the concert variation, particularly the added section where the the 'Over the Moon' theme plays. But I wish the piece continued from that point as originally written instead of cutting out the whole part where the bikes fly.

Have you heard Kunzel's recording of Adventures On Earth? It's faster than most concert versions. Unfortunately, he recorded the end-of-the-film's music (with the Cincinnati Pops) separately, across two albums... released years apart.

As most of us know, a particular section of the original version (certainly a tearjerker moment, as played in the film) was replaced by a less-moving one in the concert version. Williams probably did this so his concert audiences wouldn't cry... as much.

In a recent listening of the OST, I noticed a few other differences between the two A.O.E.'s, but the ORIGINAL VERSION is better.

There's 4 versions:

• 1982 OST version
  • 1996 Laserdisc isolated score version (identical to the version in the film)
  • 1996 expanded CD version
  • 2002 expanded CD version

Though I think the last 2 are the same...

Unlike the '96 edition, the 2002 expanded CD version's "Chase" overlaps "Goodbye" for a couple of seconds. How is it presented the film? I personally prefer the gap - to take a breath before "Saying Goodbye".

Unlike the '96 edition, the 2002 expanded CD version's "Chase" overlaps "Goodbye" for a couple of seconds. How is it presented the film? I personally prefer the gap - to take a breath before "Saying Goodbye".

They overlap pretty awkwardly in the film.

As most of us know, a particular section of the original version (certainly a tearjerker moment, as played in the film) was replaced by a less-moving one in the concert version. Williams probably did this so his concert audiences wouldn't cry... as much.

Actually what's used in the concert suite is the original composition that was recorded for the film. The section you're talking about was an insert done for the film and retained on the 1982 album but not replicated for the 1996 and 2002 CD's, which kept the original composition. You could hear that original version starting to play in the trailer before the movie came out, so way before the 1996 album it was known that the concert suite was presenting the original version.

It really bugs me that he made that change! It is a vital moment in the cue damnit!

It really bugs me that he made that change! It is a vital moment in the cue damnit!

1982 album. The only ET alum you'll ever need -- it's so damn satisfying.