Star Wars vs. Moonraker

Unlucky Bastard

Star Wars vs. Moonraker - take a giant step for mankind!  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Which score to you like better?

• Star Wars - John Williams (1977)
    • Moonraker - John Barry (1979)
    • I don't like either of these pieces of crap

Two great action scores of the late-1970's. One was a space opera that revived the use of grand orchestral scores in motion pictures, the latter for a James Bond film, with music romanticizing space, girls, gadgets, with some tongue-in-cheek nods to previous uses of music in sci-fi films.

Sure, Star Wars will win the poll, but I'm interested to see who would pick Moonraker competing against it. As for my vote, yes, Star Wars is a landmark score, but just for this poll, Barry's score is so fun, lush and suave, and I adore the Shirley Bassey title song, it gets my vote.

Take me around the world one more time.

star_wars_poster.jpg

or...

moonraker.jpg

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Star Wars There is no comparison.

And for the record I loathe Barry's Bond music. Just in case you might be starting a Bond score poll series.

Haven't heard Moonraker but no way it tops Star Wars.

So please explain rationally how it in no way tops Star Wars in your view never having heard Moonraker????

I can't possibly begin to compare these scores. The only thing the subject matter has in common is a few space ships and laser guns. Totally different things altogether.

Look, Williams wrote a great score for Star Wars... one that only he (or Korngold) could have dreamed up. But only Barry could have scored Moonraker and made it feel like Bond. Williams just doesn't have the swank and sexiness to do Bond like Barry does (heck, Barry made even a shuttle ride into space sound sexy). And Barry doesn't have the symphonic leitmotif sense to do Star Wars. Let's just leave it at that.

Haven't heard Moonraker but no way it tops Star Wars.

So please explain rationally how it in no way tops Star Wars in your view never having heard Moonraker????

Because.

Star Wars was my childhood. My appreciation and enjoyment of the music has only grown throughout my life. I rationally and emphatically state that the chances are extremely slim that any other film score will ever top that.

I don't say that Moonraker should have been scored like Star Wars. I am simply stating my favored preference, which is what these arbitrary polls are all about anyway.

Look, Williams wrote a great score for Star Wars... one that only he (or Korngold) could have dreamed up. But only Barry could have scored Moonraker and made it feel like Bond.

Giacchino could have done it too ;)

With all due respect to Barry's work, I pick Star Wars.

Apparently one of JWfans find Star Wars to be a piece of poo. Interesting. I'd like to hear the reason.

Methinks it's the same person who does that in every poll.....perhaps a friend with multiple chins ...;)

I'm amazed this poll is seemingly being taken seriously.

All music and especially Film music is a question of life and death!

I'm a big Bond fan (and in turn Barry fan) but there is no way that it can compete with Star Wars. Williams made SW what it is, and without his score its just another serial movie that no one would have batted an eye to. Moonraker's score has some good moments, but I never liked the quality of the recording even in the film as it just didn't sound as good as Barry's previous. I'm not saying the score is bad, but its not one of been clamoring to pick up to complete my collection that's for sure.

With all due respect to Barry's work, I pick Star Wars.

Apparently one of JWfans finds Star Wars to be a piece of poo. Interesting. I'd like to hear the reason.

Methinks it's the same person who does that in every poll.....perhaps a friend with multiple chins ...:fouetaa:

He has been dead now for something like 30 years, so his vote should not count...;)

I don't like Moonraker and John Barry but I had to vote it anyways because what is Star Wars? Just a rip-offs from classical music , John did so much better with Empire and Jedi. They are original and brilliant.

:fouetaa: Not gonna touch it...not gonna touch it...not this time...

I don't like Moonraker and John Barry but I had to vote it anyways because what is Star Wars?

Just a rip-offs from classical music , John did so much better with Empire and Jedi. They are original and brilliant.

Don't tell this to Joey. :fouetaa:

I don't like Moonraker and John Barry but I had to vote it anyways because what is Star Wars?

Just a rip-offs from classical music , John did so much better with Empire and Jedi. They are original and brilliant.

Don't tell this to Joey. :fouetaa:

too late, I've already put the process in place to have his DNA removed, both backwards and forwards.

Anyone got any more gasoline!!!?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSYCpR-kSSY

It's stated nice and proud at the very beginning. Damn that's good!

Barry writes very lovely sounding music, but it annoys me how often he repeats each phrase twice.

Barry writes very lovely sounding music, but it annoys me how often he repeats each phrase twice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSYCpR-kSSY

It's stated nice and proud at the very beginning. Damn that's good!

No, No. That should be...

Star Wars. I'm sure that a lightsaber could deflect or block bullets (if it were real) and the person wielding the saber could easily decapitate the hand off the person holding the gun. It's like bringing a knife to a gun fight but in this case the 'knife' would win. Or the person with a saber if he had force abilities could force pull the gun out of the other person' hand and then kill that person.

Anyways enough of that, I obviously picked Star Wars.

you don't decapitate a hand Vosk, you sever it, decapitate is cutting off a head.

• 1 month later...