Back To The Future 2 and 3 Recording Sessions Discussion thread

Jay

What do you think about the music? The sound quality? The alternates? Does this possibly mean a label is working on expanded score releases of the trilogy?

BTTF 2:

01- Prologue

02- Main Title and Flying Traffic

03- The Future

04- Griff

05- Hoverboard Chase

06- A Flying Delorean

07- Marlene McFly

08- Hilldale

09- Needles' Deal

10- Leaving 2015

11- Hell Valley

12- Marty Wakes Up

13- My Father!

14- Alternate 1985

15- Gray's Sports Almanac

16- If They Ever Did / Something Inconspicuous

17- Biff's Garage

18- The Weather Experiment

19- Pair O' Docs

20- The Book

21- Marty's Temper

22- Tunnel Chase

23- Burn The Book

24- Doc's Gone

25- Western Union

26- I'm Back / To Be Concluded

27- Back To The Future Part III Trailer

28- End Credits

29- Hoverboard Chase (Alt.)

30- If They Ever Did (Alt. Excerpt)

31- To Be Concluded (Alt. I)

32- To Be Concluded (Alt. II)

33- Back To The Future Part III Trailer (Alt.)

Total Time = 69:00

BTTF3:

01- Prologue

02- Main Title

03- The Mine

04- The Tombstone

05- Marty's Plan

06- To 1885

07- Indians

08- Marty Wakes Up

09- Hill Valley

10- The Hanging

11- We're Out Of Gas

12- Doc To The Rescue

13- At First Sight

14- The Pie Plate

15- The Kiss

16- The Gunslinger

17- The Future Isn't Written

18- Goodbye, Clara

19- I'm Hungry

20- A Shot

21- Wake Up Juice

22- Forfeit

23- The Count Of 10

24- The Showdown

25- Bullet Proof

26- A Science Experiment (The Train Part I)

27- It's Clara (The Train Part II)

28- Point Of No Return (The Train Part III)

29- It's Destroyed

30- Back To Jennifer

31- Wreckage

32- Doc Returns

33- End Credits

34- Main Title (Alt. Excerpt)

35- Indians (Alt.)

36- Calvary Charge

37- A Shot (Alt. Excerpt)

38- The Count Of 10 (Alt.)

39- Drum Roll

40- Doubleback (ZZ Top)

41- Clementine (ZZ Top)

42- Turkey In The Straw (ZZ Top)

43- Clementine (Alt. Ending) (ZZ Top)

Total Time = 73:42 (62:45 Silvestri and 10:57 ZZ Top)

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does this possibly mean a label is working on expanded score releases of the trilogy?

There are rumors floating around that a boxset with all three scores will be released in the near future. You know, it's a rumor, but that's all I'm saying.

OK I've now listened to BTTF 2 all the way through.

I love it! It's a more well-rounded listening experience than the OST.

"Marlene McFly" was unused in the film, I believe.

The alternates are interesting, though not SUPER different than the originals

The sound quality is very good..... though perhaps a bit... "empty"? The bass is strong, but I don't feel like I can hear all the details of the recording as clearly as some other releases. Lightyears better than the BTTF1 bootleg though.

Sound quality is somewhat the same as on the CD though, I thought.

Listening experience of II is not too great, many short cues - but the ending is certainly better (although with the rerecording that problem was already partly solved).

There's still a significant alternate on the Varèse rerecording: that bridge from 'Western Union' is possibly (!) something that was in the sheet music, but that has been altered when Silvestri was recording it.

Still, this is really great; this was one of my favourite scores when I was little. Let's hope a box set is forthcoming (I always wonder where you guys hear those 'rumours' though?).

There's still a significant alternate on the Varèse rerecording: that bridge from 'Western Union' is possibly (!) something that was in the sheet music, but that has been altered when Silvestri was recording it.

It was McNeely who did the BTTF Trilogy CD from Varese. He changed some cues himself.

John Debney conducted it not McNeely.

You also have to remember that sometimes these re-recordings come from the original sketches, before some of the alterations take place on the scoring stage.

As far as BTTF goes, my money is on Intrada to be the one that releases it. Given some of their recent Amblin / Universal releases and doors opened, I like their chances.

BTTF 3 is still listed as in print at Varese so I don't know if a 3 score set is possible right now.

John Debney conducted it not McNeely.

Debney, right forgot sorry.

You also have to remember that sometimes these re-recordings come from the original sketches, before some of the alterations take place on the scoring stage.

I didn't know that, interesting to find that out.

As far as BTTF goes, my money is on Intrada to be the one that releases it. Given some of their recent Amblin / Universal releases and doors opened, I like their chances.

BTTF 3 is still listed as in print at Varese so I don't know if a 3 score set is possible right now.

Indeed about BTTF, I'm with you on that one and yes with Varese still having BTTF 3 I doubt Intrada will be able to release that one (even 2).

Listened to BTTF 3 now

And even better and more well-rounded listen, since BTTF3 just has more variety to begin with. Lots of stuff in this score not heard in the other 2 scores.

Listening to ZZ Top play Oh My Darling Clementine and Turkey In The Straw on banjo and whatever else is great :lol:

There's a 30 second cue that's not included, but can be ripped cleanly from the DVD

Man, what a great week! First the Honey, I Shrunk The Kids score gets an official release from Intrada and now there are complete boots of Back to the Future 2 and 3! And they sound great! Woo hoo! Here's hoping for a official release of these!

But one question remains...

Where the hell is the complete bootleg for Back to the Future?! Or official release for that matter! That old bootleg needs to be put in the grave it came from! GAH!

:lol:

Hmmmmmm - verrrry interesting.....quality (for the most part) is almost CD-worthy....I would be a little disappointed if they got released officially in this condition, but only a little. Would love to know what the source for these are - could a box finally be on it's way? If not, well, I hope the momumentally good score for the first movie gets the same treatment as these from whomever it was.....

I doubt 2 and 3 will get officially released. MCA still holds the rights for 2 despite it being OOP and Varese holds the rights for 3 and that's still in print.

I doubt 2 and 3 will get officially released. MCA still holds the rights for 2 despite it being OOP and Varese holds the rights for 3 and that's still in print.

I hate record companies... lol.

Interesting timing these getting leaked now. A bit suspicious even...

John- who'll wait and see what happens

Well, they weren't just leaked now.... check out this post from January.

There's a 30 second cue that's not included, but can be ripped cleanly from the DVD

Which one's that? Is it "The Map / Shonash Ravine" ?

I also noticed that the band music from when the clock starts is also missing.

EDIT: Anyone done a clean DVD rip of the cue in question? Or perhaps the band music I mentioned?

That old bootleg needs to be put in the grave it came from! GAH!

It's better than not having anything at all. I think it's quite good considering.

It's better than not having anything at all. I think it's quite good considering.

Well of course I'd rather have it in the current quality it is in than not at all. But I'm sure we'd both agree that the first score deserves a better sounding quality release, either in bootleg form or official.

These are really excellent. Part II particularly has some fascinating unused stuff. I love the original "Leaving 2015"--the extended chunk at the end of the cue really surprised me bigtime when I first heard it.

I kinda like that alternate of "Hoverboard Chase." The interesting thing about it is that it actually sounds like the performance and sound is a little closer to the sound of the first score than the rest of the score for Part II.

Yeah, that's the one. It's a small cue, but I love that little tuba variation of the West theme.

Well of course I'd rather have it in the current quality it is in than not at all. But I'm sure we'd both agree that the first score deserves a better sounding quality release, either in bootleg form or official.

Oh absolutely. :)

Yeah, that's the one. It's a small cue, but I love that little tuba variation of the West theme.

Thought so. :)

So I've been working on Part III for a few hours now (sad aren't I?). :P

There seems to be a few things that need pointing out (some have been mentioned already): -

01 Prologue - the main theme variation used here is just the end of the "Western Union" track from Part II. In the film it seems to be a new recording, but is very similar. Also, in the film, the end fanfare is tracked from the end of "To 1885".

"The Map / Shonash Ravine" - this cue is missing entirely. Jay said you could rip it from the DVD cleanly, anyone done this? (I only ask because I can't do it and I'm tapping!) :lol:

"Just Smile Doc" - the bit where Marty & Doc have their photo taken at the festival after the clock has been started. This little band bit is also missing.

"You Never Know What the Future Might Bring" - the bit in the Saloon with the barbed wire salesman. There's background music playing, and that's missing too.

Other than that, I think it's complete! :lol: Well, apart from the end credits version of "Doubleback" but that's not really score anyway, and it can be ripped cleanly from the DVD if you want it. :)

It's been around for a while yeah. I got hold of a slightly different version (including that one extra III cue) several months ago, but didn't realise how 'craved' it was. Oh well - it's out in the open now :P

Huh, I missed that. Still, January wasn't that long ago.

I had them from a nameless source fore well over a year and a half I think.

I've had them for just over a year as well.

well... if is was so widespread... (and not just a 'someone gave them to me with the condition of not distributing it' kind of thing) then someone should have done a post like this a year ago. Just to let people know it existed...

If this happens with some Williams score, please dont be shy. Specially if it is Jurassic Park... :P

well... if is was so widespread... (and not just a 'someone gave them to me with the condition of not distributing it' kind of thing) then someone should have done a post like this a year ago. Just to let people know it existed...

Perhaps people were not at liberty to say that they had them. If they did they'd get into trouble by their source and probably never get stuff again. So you could see why some of us who have had it for over a year or longer were pretty quiet about it.

If you think about how many engineers involved in recording a score - all of these people will have access to digital recording sessions and must surely share things with close friends. I'd be amazed if all 3 Potter recording sessions weren't on a personal HDD right now.

Your point is an interesting one Luke, about 'no distribution' contracts. Pieter also raised the issue a while back asking why companies like Lucasfilm point blank refuse to make this music available for sale in one form or another given no huge licensing or 'retrieval' costs. I hope it isn't Williams refusing to allow it.

I think that the SW and indy music is property of Lucasfilm.

They are and I don't think it's Williams doing either. The Prequels don't have worry about reuse fees, since they were recorded in London and I wish Lucasfilm would get up off their asses about those and release the intended editions. Lucasfilm and Sony would make money off of the intended editions of the Prequels instead of hacked up isolated scores.

Hopefully when ever the films get released on Blu-Ray we get the complete intended editions for all three Prequels.

That's where they hold Lucas' money. He sometimes goes in there and rolls around in his jillions of dollars, while listening to 'I Am The Senate (Clean)'......

..............and planning his next CGI massacre!

As Rich said, the man's an ass!

I don't think the complete score for Back To The Future is too far away. Few years maybe? :mellow:

As for the other two, it would be nice if we got a box set, but now we've got the recording sessions it's not as important for me as it was a week ago! :lol:

Still, I wouldn't say no to any of them in high-quality. Intrada - take note...........................................

I don't think the complete score for Back To The Future is too far away. Few years maybe? :mellow:

As for the other two, it would be nice if we got a box set, but now we've got the recording sessions it's not as important for me as it was a week ago! :lol:

Still, I wouldn't say no to any of them in high-quality. Intrada - take note...........................................

Rumors have it that this year Intrada is releasing BTTF. The movies are supposedly to be released on Blu-Ray later this year so that's when we might see it. Again this is all speculation so we'll have to wait and see.

I'm well aware he's responsible for polluting the oceans, the current recession, Zimbabwe's political crisis and Jade Goody's cancer, thank you.

:mellow:

The movies are supposedly to be released on Blu-Ray later this year.

Wonder if they'll have isolated scores?

I'm well aware he's responsible for polluting the oceans, the current recession, Zimbabwe's political crisis and Jade Goody's cancer, thank you.

Nice to see thinking in context...

Isos would be nice, but they make such bizarre choices with those.