Back To The Future 2 and 3 Recording Sessions Discussion thread

Jay

I got hold of a slightly different version (including that one extra III cue)

What are the differences?

Does it include the film version of the BTTF III Prologue?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice to see thinking in context...

Isos would be nice, but they make such bizarre choices with those.

:)

Yeah they do. The whole film will probably be isolated except for a few lightening sfx at the Clock Tower bit lol.

I got hold of a slightly different version (including that one extra III cue)

What are the differences?

Does it include the film version of the BTTF III Prologue?

I don't think it does. Rich, any ideas? :)

I still think Debney changed the way how cues sounded for the re-recordings. Sometimes composers do that for re-recordings so I don't trust them.

Keep in mind that those re-recordings were produced in a very limited timeframe, with almost no time for rehearsals and even less for more recording takes.

Fair enough, but still....

On the cheap in other words.

:)

I wouldn't say "cheap", since they gathered a world-class renowned orchestra and a major name (at least in the film music field) as the conductor. Those Varèse re-recordings were instead very expensive and for that reason Robert Townson decided to pull the plug on their "Film Classics" series, as the income wasn't good enough to generate more re-recording projects.

"Marlene McFly" was unused in the film, I believe.

Was this cue not used for when the older and younger Jennifer's bump into each other and faint?

If not, I think this bit is missing from the bootleg. If not, could someone tell me where it is? Or is it a DVD rip job?

No, the "Marlene McFly" cue was intended to score Jennifer starting to look through the house when the cops leave. It ends about the time Marlene reaches the bottom of the stairs.

The part you're talking about is in the cue "Leaving 2015." Silvestri actually scored the scene in its original form, with Marty finding her and announcing, "She's tranked again." The music intended for that moment was actually tracked over the beginning of "A Flying Delorean?" in the film.

I wouldn't say "cheap", since they gathered a world-class renowned orchestra and a major name (at least in the film music field) as the conductor. Those Varèse re-recordings were instead very expensive and for that reason Robert Townson decided to pull the plug on their "Film Classics" series, as the income wasn't good enough to generate more re-recording projects.

The problem with re-recordings for me is that even though they often use world class orchestras, their quality can vary massively.

I got the Tom Newman Prague compilation last Xmas, and while The Green Mile is spot on, Cinderella Man is a mess orchestration wise. The Titanic suite on the Varese disaster compilation is an example of what I consider a cue losing all its power when it doesn't have Horner's synth.

But if they are under a tight budget, then I can imagine they'd go with the first 'acceptable' take.

If time was a factor for the BTTF re-recordings then I wished they had waited until they did have the time to do them properly. The tempo for those re-recordings as stated earlier are just very UGH. The two Clock Tower parts for the first BTTF are the worst.

The two Clock Tower parts for the first BTTF are the worst.

Agreed, and "I'm Back / To Be Concluded" aren't much better!

And the instruments don't really sound anything like the original score either.

No, the "Marlene McFly" cue was intended to score Jennifer starting to look through the house when the cops leave. It ends about the time Marlene reaches the bottom of the stairs.

The part you're talking about is in the cue "Leaving 2015." Silvestri actually scored the scene in its original form, with Marty finding her and announcing, "She's tranked again." The music intended for that moment was actually tracked over the beginning of "A Flying Delorean?" in the film.

Ah right, I see. Thanks. :P

Is this Boot for Part II complete then, and in score order with no silly edits? I think it is. :) Well, maybe apart from the "Jaws" overlays at (the end?) of "The Future".

I doubt 2 and 3 will get officially released. MCA still holds the rights for 2 despite it being OOP and Varese holds the rights for 3 and that's still in print.

Well, Arista Records had "Ghostbusters" and a certain obese record producer said it wouldn't be likely, then a few months later Varese cranked that one out. There's always hope. But I would hope after all this time is the scores did happen, they were aboslutely 100% and not lacking score, like the "Ghostbusters" CD (which is missing score from both the bootleg and the film).

Is this Boot for Part II complete then, and in score order with no silly edits?

No need to panic whether or not if it's complete as it's fully 100% complete, there are no "silly edits".

"The Future" is in it's full unedited form, no need to have the "jaws" deal as I really doubt Silvestri recorded that piece and it would disrupt the flow of the music as it does in the film.

Is this Boot for Part II complete then, and in score order with no silly edits?

No need to panic whether or not if it's complete as it's fully 100% complete, there are no "silly edits".

"The Future" is in it's full unedited form, no need to have the "jaws" deal as I really doubt Silvestri recorded that piece and it would disrupt the flow of the music as it does in the film.

Good. :P

I'm thinking that "A Flying Delorean?" is a different mix/take than the album version. Not sure which is the film mix/take (probably the boot), but some things are really sounding unfamiliar upon listening to it again.

EDIT: "Hell Valley" definitely has an alternate mix. In the film, the brass is much more pronounced in the dark fanfare as Marty approaches Strickland's porch.

I'm thinking that "A Flying Delorean?" is a different mix/take than the album version. Not sure which is the film mix/take (probably the boot), but some things are really sounding unfamiliar upon listening to it again.

EDIT: "Hell Valley" definitely has an alternate mix. In the film, the brass is much more pronounced in the dark fanfare as Marty approaches Strickland's porch.

Could just be the quality of the recordings? :D

EDIT: The very final part of the End Credits track is also slightly different to the album version.

I think a complete BTTF trilogy soundtrack collection is the only thing left on my list of soundtrack holy grails to get. Not that I ever had much of a list to begin with, aside from Temple of Doom and El Cid.

I don't really have any true grails, but there are a number of scores that I felt didn't get a release they truly deserved: Potter 1, Spidey 3, Dante's Peak (just one of those scores I love for some reason... but I've heard multiple rumours that it's coming soon).

I have yet to really get into the BTTF sound, since it's comprised of many short cues which aren't really given time to develop much.

I have yet to really get into the BTTF sound, since it's comprised of many short cues which aren't really given time to develop much.

Yeah but the main theme(s) are truly excellent! :D

I am watching "Hoverboard Chase" while listening very closly to the music and they did an incredible edit. The opening starts out at the album but then it switches to the "alternate" after that opening hit and stays as the alternate it all the way through. It should be an easy edit.

It's just in the film the mix for the alternate is more pronounced with the pianos and a few other instruments.

I am watching "Hoverboard Chase" while listening very closly to the music and they did an incredible edit. The opening starts out at the album but then it switches to the "alternate" after that opening hit and stays as the alternate it all the way through. It should be an easy edit.

It's just in the film the mix for the alternate is more pronounced with the pianos and a few other instruments.

Never noticed that before. I'll have to have a look tomorrow!

This is how the film version actually goes.

0:00-0:22 is the album version, 0:22 to about 1:46ish is the alternate version, then from 1:46 to the end is the album version. I did a pretty good edit of the cue, it wasn't that hard.

This is how the film version actually goes.

0:00-0:22 is the album version, 0:22 to about 1:46ish is the alternate version, then from 1:46 to the end is the album version. I did a pretty good edit of the cue, it wasn't that hard.

I'm gonna have a look at doing this today, see how I get on. :D

Any other different things you've noticed Trent?

Does anyone have a clean copy of this cue where it isn't joined to "I'm Back!" ?

I'm trying to edit it just like the film, but I'm having trouble because you loose the first hit with it being engulfed in the end of the previous track! :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

I've note that it's now on ebay. It's a 4 CD set, and I don't know if it is only CDr.

I hope I have some extra money for it. But I've ordered the new batman score and waiting for the Varese batch. Besides, I have a felling that a BTTF complete set will be released in this year or the next.

Money? Why would you give money to an ebay bootlegger selling an illegal product you can easily download free off the internet instead?

I've note that it's now on ebay. It's a 4 CD set, and I don't know if it is only CDr.

I hope I have some extra money for it. But I've ordered the new batman score and waiting for the Varese batch. Besides, I have a felling that a BTTF complete set will be released in this year or the next.

I don't see it listed on ebay. I don't think it would be a 4-CD set. The first BTTF complete score should be 38 tracks, that's just Silvestri's music, no songs included. Who ever listed that on ebay probably doesn't have the real complete score for the first one, just the old Delorean boot.

I don't see any way that Silvestri wrote 38 cues for BTTF1. Star Wars doesn't even have that many cues

It has 38 tracks...a lot of Silvestri's cues were dropped in favor of songs for the film. Remember a score can have a lot of tracks to it...especially if it's complete sessions.

It has 38 tracks...a lot of Silvestri's cues were dropped in favor of songs for the film. Remember a score can have a lot of tracks to it...especially if it's complete sessions.

Do you have something we don't have?

The original boot had 17 tracks of score and ran about 43 minutes. Even if you take the songs out of the film that would still be an awful lot of music that was dialed out.

Unless someone here has the 38 track version and could give some actual details I wonder if it might be the scoring sessions or perhaps some of the various concert versions were included.

Right. I don't see any way that 38 different cues were composed for this film. It just doesn't make sense

I should have pointed out it's 38 tracks total, including unused music and alternates. I was told 27 tracks were have been believed to be used in the film, the rest were alternates and unused cues.

Do you have something we don't have?

I don't have it. I was supposed to have gotten it in a trade but I got screwed over in the trade.

Could someone post a picture of this so-called "Delorean Boot" please?

I've got a very proffessional looking CD for BTTF (again only 17 tracks), but the sound quality is good to my ears - not brilliant don't get me wrong, but better than some people are suggesting.

I'm just wondering if we all have the same one?

I don't have it. I was supposed to have gotten it in a trade but I got screwed over in the trade.

Bugger! ;)

Okay that BTTF boot (the first one) is just the old Delorean version. Regarding Disc 4 it's probably just the songs from the first album...pretty dumb set if you ask me. Not surprised these would show up on ebay.

Okay that BTTF boot (the first one) is just the old Delorean version. Regarding Disc 4 it's probably just the songs from the first album...pretty dumb set if you ask me. Not surprised these would show up on ebay.

Disc 3 + 4 are both BTTF 3. :)