Jerry Goldsmith's "Basic Instint - Main Theme"

Josh500

I think NOT.

But then, I might be wrong.

I can't get over how JG totally nailed the movie Basic Instinct with this one theme... so sexual, dangerous, tense, erotic, sensual, risky, obsessive.

I love it! Kudos to Jerry! :)

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think NOT.

I can't get over how JG totally nailed the movie Basic Instinct with this one theme... so sexual, dangerous, tense, erotic, sensual, risky, obsessive.

I love it! Kudos to Jerry! :P

The Austrian Way is the closest one so far.

I don't think Williams has anything that comes close to Basic Instinct as far as sex appeal goes. Right now the only other score I can think of would be John Barry's Body Heat.

But Josh is correct, the theme conveys quite a bit.

LOVE this theme. The Basic Instinct CD is great just for having variation after variation of it

I don't think Williams has anything that comes close to Basic Instinct as far as sex appeal goes.

Yes, true. But that's probably because JW has never scored a sex thriller... at least so far. I wonder how JW would have scored Basic Instinct, though...

It tickles me just thinking about it!

:lol:

I don't think Williams has anything that comes close to Basic Instinct as far as sex appeal goes.

Yes, true. But that's probably because JW has never scored a sex thriller... at least so far. I wonder how JW would have scored Basic Instinct, though...

There'd definitely be a big "bum-tzzz" during the orgasm scene.

And it was Horny Horner, I'd guess we'd get a few CLANGS! or trumpet ruffles! :lol:

I think NOT.

The opening cue is great, but "Pillow Talk" is even better.

Since I have not heard every score for every erotic movie (thriller or not), I may be missing somthing just as good, but I doubt it, and I think we would have heard about it since Basic Instinct.

Goldsmith's music is perfect: it's beautiful, elegant, sexy, sultry, steamy, accompanies the rhythm, without being vulgar or cliché, while mixing tension, suspense, menace with raw sexuality, eroticism, seduction, temptation, overwhelming desire and ecstasy.

That's an awful lot.

obasicinstinct001.gif

And it was Horny Horner, I'd guess we'd get a few CLANGS! or trumpet ruffles! :lol:

Danger motif would suit the tying-up scene very well.

Cuuuuuuuuuummmm

Isn't that what Mola Ram says as he calls Indy over to strap Willy into the lobster basket? In that case, I think they just tracked in the temple chanting/drumming music, which isn't sexy even in the most wrong way.

Great question! I think the answer is NO but part of the reason is that the films JW has scored have not called for such sounds.

Man, would I love to see a film that requires John Williams to do that sound....

Eroticism is JW's Achilles Heel - he is incapable of writing for it. Romance is his area.

I mean c'mon, Jerry's ponytail says it all. He was a dirty bugger.

Great question! I think the answer is NO but part of the reason is that the films JW has scored have not called for such sounds.

He came close in 'Presumed Innocent'.

It's the only film of his that could have made use of that sound, but IMO he didn't even come close to what Jerry acheived in BI.

It's the only film of his that could have made use of that sound, but IMO he didn't even come close to what Jerry acheived in BI.

No. The music was perfect for Presumed Innocent.

But the movie PI didn't come close to Basic Instinct.

It didn't have Verhoeven at the helm neither.

I do love the theme to "Basic Instinct." An interesting thing about that theme is that it was not written as the "main titles theme," it was written merely as the score cue for the big sex scene. The director hadn't liked Goldsmith's original idea for an opening/main titles theme, but when he heard that cue, he loved it and declared it the main theme as well.

Funny how Hollywood works!

It didn't have Verhoeven at the helm neither.

I do love the theme to "Basic Instinct." An interesting thing about that theme is that it was not written as the "main titles theme," it was written merely as the score cue for the big sex scene. The director hadn't liked Goldsmith's original idea for an opening/main titles theme, but when he heard that cue, he loved it and declared it the main theme as well.

Funny how Hollywood works!

That's right. Actually it was the scene when Michael Douglas and Sharon Stone first meet at her beach house to interrogate her further and Stone starts playing cat and mouse mind games which Douglas's character. It was just an incidental cue and, like you've said, Verhoeven felt that it was perfect for the main theme.

And to the original question, Williams hasn't done anything so erotic, not that he couldn't but he just hasn't been given the chance so far. But the throbbing music during the sex scenes is probably some of the most elegantly erotic, purely instrumental music ever done for a movie.

Williams hasn't done anything so erotic, not that he couldn't but he just hasn't been given the chance so far.

I just watched Apatow's 40-year old virgin and found that particular sentence quite ambiguous.

Williams hasn't done anything so erotic, not that he couldn't but he just hasn't been given the chance so far.

I just watched Apatow's 40-year old virgin and found that particular sentence quite ambiguous.

LOL. Actually I wouldn't really know otherwise but I was talking about his music. :D

'In the Moonlight'

Yes, that's one of my favorite pieces (both versions, although I prefer the instrumental), but this is hardly erotic or sexual. It's just romantic in a flighty, light-hearted fashion.