• 4 stars
    • 3,5 stars
    • 3 stars
    • 2,5 stars
    • 2 stars
    • 1,5 stars
    • 1 stars
    • I'm not familiar with this score

This is a lovely score, but hardly the masterpiece some claim it to be. I sometimes wonder what Williams fans would think of this score if Williams hadn't claimed it was one of his favourites. My guess is that it would be nearer to 3.5/5.

This is a lovely score, but hardly the masterpiece some claim it to be. I sometimes wonder what Williams fans would think of this score if Williams hadn't claimed it was one of his favourites. My guess is that it would be nearer to 3.5/5.

Why would Williams' personal affection for this score affect the opinion of the fans? I wasn't even aware that it was one of his favourite projects when I first heard this score and and I still loved it from the first note.

I never knew it was one of his favorites when I bought it. Of course that was before the internet really took off.

Although I've never heard/seen it quoted directly from Williams. I know CE3K is a favorite of his.

Nope, sorry.

Ah, so I now found the precise reason why so many consider Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom to be a terrible film....

I had never even heard that.

I do know he's mentioned Close Encounters as being probably his favorite film work.

I don't know how it compares to Close Encounters in his mind (although I doubt such comparison even happens), but he was very very proud of it in the summer of 1977, when a reporter from Films and Filming asked him what his favorite own work was.

He also might have a fondness for Jane Eyre because of what was going on his life at the time and not necessarily the music itself. If I remember correctly didn't Williams compose the score in England? It may have just been a wonderful experience and the music reminds of it. Close Encounters is an obvious favorite because of its unique requirements on the composer and the role of the music in the movie.

I can just picture Williams sitting at a piano trying to recall Jane Eyre's theme by playing notes..... :o

"Yes Jane Eyre what a lovely theme. I'll play it for you.... oops hold on that's Jaws....here we go....no....Princess Leia's theme....wait I got it...what the hell is this??? Oh it's Born on the 4th.......Jane Eyre, Jane Eyre...hmmm.....dah dah da dadah...."

I have listened to it twice so far, so I really cannot rate it yet. But the theme itself is magnificent. And some claim it's KotCS that represents JW's mature sound at its best...!

• 3 years later...

Yes it tends to do that although I feel this score is not inherently sad, perhaps more lyrical, nostalgic and yearningly romantic. But on the bright side I also find it rather cathartic when I am down and listen to it.

Yes it tends to do that although I feel this score is not inherently sad, perhaps more lyrical, nostalgic and yearningly romantic. But on the bright side I also find it rather cathartic when I am down and listen to it.

that is why i was emotionally down...

Yes, it's one of the clearest 6'es (we often use dice marks over here rather than 1-5) in the history of film scores.

• 7 years later...
On 8/27/2019 at 8:54 AM, crumbs said:

How do we know the recording sessions are truly lost? Did they actually find the disintegrating tapes and discover they were beyond repair?

All we know is that the LLL team (including Lukas Kendall, on this) searched high and low for tapes when they were pursuing their album, and sadly couldn't locate any.

Yavar

11 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

All we know is that the LLL team (including Lukas Kendall, on this) searched high and low for tapes when they were pursuing their album, and sadly couldn't locate any.

Yavar

Also it is extremely sad that no possible re-recording from original manuscripts is possible since the originals were declared a fire hazard by the insurance inspector along with many classic scores in the MGM music library in the 1970's and subsequently burned. Williams himself told in a  Richard Dyer interview in 1990:

“Did you know that the whole great MGM music library is gone? Sometime in the ’70s, an insurance inspector came along and wondered what all that dangerous-looking yellow molding paper stuff was doing lying around, and it was destroyed — not only the orchestral scores like ‘Dr. Zhivago’ but also the great musicals. The only way they are preserved is on the sound tracks, and if you want to perform those arrangements, you have to listen to them and write them down. I had to do that myself when I wanted to pull out my music for ‘Jane Eyre’ for the Pops. It had been burned, so I just sat right here with the record and listened to it over and over and copied it by ear. Even last year when I wanted to do the fugue from ‘Jaws,’ I had to reconstruct it. So there’s a point to keeping all of this.”

It is simply appalling that it was all done purposefully and not by accident.

• 1 year later...
21 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

How much music is actually missing from the album?

A lot. I did a complete breakdown with some notes but didn’t total up the unreleased music. I’ll share them here if you’d like to do the math. One important thing to point out: the album is an E.T. situation where half of it is special concert/album arrangements which do no appear in the film. Pieces recorded for the album only: Love Theme from Jane Eyre (track 1, concert arrangement), To Thornfield (track 4, unused action scherzo), Festivity at Thornfield (track 5, unused original party source music), Meeting (track 7, chamber arrangement of love theme), Restoration (track 10, album/concert arrangement of music for St. John)

Yavar

4 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

A lot. I did a complete breakdown with some notes but didn’t total up the unreleased music. I’ll share them here if you’d like to do the math. One important thing to point out: the album is an E.T. situation where half of it is special concert/album arrangements which do no appear in the film. Pieces recorded for the album only: Love Theme from Jane Eyre (track 1, concert arrangement), To Thornfield (track 4, unused action scherzo), Festivity at Thornfield (track 5, unused original party source music), Meeting (track 7, chamber arrangement of love theme), Restoration (track 10, album/concert arrangement of music for St. John)

Yavar

Thanks! Guess I was secretly hoping it was one of those sparsely scored 70s things where there were just a few short cues... sounds like we won't get a fuller version of Jane Eyre unless someone wants to sit and transcribe it by ear one day. What a shame. Guess we'll just have to enjoy what we have.

So that's 46:16 (including source music) of music in the film, if I calculated correctly... plus 14:43 of album-only cues, makes 60:59 total, of which 34:12 appear on the album, which leaves 26:47 of unreleased music.

At minimum, but some cues are noticeable microedited/truncated in the film, and I wouldn’t be surprised if Williams wrote some cues that went unused both in the film and on album (we know “To Thornfield” which is on the album went unused in the film).

Yavar

27 minutes ago, ChrisAfonso said:

So that's 46:16 (including source music) of music in the film, if I calculated correctly... plus 14:43 of album-only cues, makes 60:59 total, of which 34:12 appear on the album, which leaves 26:47 of unreleased music.

So a reissue is needed.

#releaseJaneEyreExpandedEdition