Powell vs. Giacchino

David Coscina

Whose music do you prefer  

71 members have voted

1. 1. who do you prefer

• Michael Giacchino
    • John Powell

And again, I can only offer the advice that you continually give it a chance. Very rarely has my opinion of a kind of music made such a complete 180-degree turn for the better.

I vote JP. I only have 3 by both, so I'm not completely qualified to make this decision. Not knowing the composers enough to make general statements, the only reasoning I have behind my decision is that I like my JP collection more than my MG collection.

And again, I can only offer the advice that you continually give it a chance. Very rarely has my opinion of a kind of music made such a complete 180-degree turn for the better.

I already did try, but failed. Maybe someday I'll try again...

The two best composers working today.

;)

Are John Williams, Danny Elfman, Howard Shore, James Newton Howard and countless others not currently working??

The two best composers working today.

:lol:

Are John Williams, Danny Elfman, Howard Shore, James Newton Howard and countless others not currently working??

Sure, they're working. They're just not working very well. Based on his whole collection of work, I would easily place John Williams above JP or MG.

Based on his recent work? :huh: No way!!! The very least of Powell's scores is far more pleasing to the ear than WotW, MoaG, or Munich.

As for Howard Shore or James Newton-Howard, they are both easily underneath JP and MG, no matter which era of their composing styles you should choose.

Danny Elfman would be about tied with JP for overall works, but, as with Williams, his recent works are nothing of particular greatness.

I guess it would depend on how you define "recent"

For me, Harry Potter 1-3, Lord Of The Rings 1-3, Spider-Man 1 & 2, and Wanted are all recent and good scores

I guess it would depend on how you define "recent"

For me, Harry Potter 1-3, Lord Of The Rings 1-3, Spider-Man 1 & 2, and Wanted are all recent and good scores

Well, if you want to go back that far, you have the following scores for Williams:

2008 - Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

2005 - Munich

2005 - Memoirs of a Geisha

2005 - War of the Worlds

2005 - Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith

2004 - The Terminal

2004 - Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

2002 - Catch Me If You Can

2002 - Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

2002 - Minority Report

2002 - Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones

2001 - Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

2001 - A.I. Artificial Intelligence

And you have the following scores for Powell:

2008 - Bolt

2008 - Hancock

2008 - Kung Fu Panda

2008 - Stop Loss

2008 - Horton Hears A Who!

2008 - Jumper

2007 - P.S., I Love You

2007 - The Bourne Ultimatum

2006 - Happy Feet

2006 - X-Men: The Last Stand

2006 - United 93

2006 - Ice Age: The Meltdown

2005 - Mr. & Mrs. Smith

2005 - Robots

2005 - Be Cool

2004 - Alfie

2004 - Mr. 3000

2004 - The Bourne Supremacy

2003 - Paycheck

2003 - Gigli

2003 - The Italian Job

2003 - Agent Cody Banks

2003 - Stealing Sinatra

2002 - Two Weeks Notice

2002 - The Adventures Of Pluto Nash

2002 - Drumline

2002 - The Bourne Identity

2002 - D-Tox

2001 - I Am Sam

2001 - Rat Race

2001 - Evolution

2001 - Shrek

2001 - Just Visiting

Whether in total number of those scores that are good, or in percentage of good scores compared to those that aren't that great, I'd still say that Powell surpasses Williams by just a bit.

It's not going to be until you get back to the classic Williams (Star Wars, E.T, Jurassic Park, (the real) Indiana Jones, etc.) that he's going to pull distinctly into the lead. But then, of course, Powell wasn't composing back then, so...

If we're bringing JW into this, AI is infinitely better than anything I've heard from Powell thus far. I just don't get the guy's music at all.

Saying that, can anybody tell me how much Powell contributed to KUNG FU PANDA?

If we're bringing JW into this, AI is infinitely better than anything I've heard from Powell thus far. I just don't get the guy's music at all.

Saying that, can anybody tell me how much Powell contributed to KUNG FU PANDA?

Having heard it, I say: too little. There is too much of Zimmer's heavy hand heard in it, as far as I am concerned. I don't know the exact amount of contribution from each of them, though. I didn't like it, but didn't hate it either. I'm generally disappointed with last-year Powell's output. It wasn't bad, but rather unexciting. I haven't heard Horton...yet.

I don't know who actually composed which tracks, but based on the sound I'd say it was about 50/50. Maybe there was just a little more Zimmer than Powell but not much.

• 9 years later...

Powell > Giacchino

I could see Giacchino standing a chance against if he somehow did good work more often, but he isn't.

Both are pretty mediocre composers though.

If we take their best works, Lost and the first How to Train Your Dragon, I am not sure which one I prefer. HTTYD is more "fun", but Lost may be more interesting.

I also like the best material from the first Incredibles score, some of Medal of Honor (despite it being a pastiche score like Incredibles) and the finest parts of Ratatouille. That's about it when it comes to Giaccchino. With Powell I like the first HTTYD score, Bourne when it is at its best, and a few other scores when they are at their best like say Hancock.

Nothing they have done is on my playlist(s) though, so I don't really care about their music even if some of it is pretty good indeed.