Worst scored scene by John Williams

King Mark

20 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

"Finn's Sacrifice" from The Last Jedi strikes me as being one of the more weirdly scored Williams scenes.  A choral lament for a fakeout death.  

I can just imagine Rian Johnson saying something like "and I want there to be some big emotional choir music here!"

He could have said that, had he actually had spotting sessions with Williams. 

The scene in A.I. where Monica is upset and has a discussion with her husband on whether to keep David or not. It just doesn't need music at all. It's nice music but in context just feels superfluous and off.

Karol

It's so interesting to revisit this thread, and to see folks' opinion on Attack of the Clones when it was still fresh. Have any of your opinions changed on 3M3 "The First Kiss"? @King Mark

For musical reference, the musical cue in question: (I know the thread is about scoring, not music on its own... but seriously, I don't want anyone to be subjected to the to the actual scene in question, which remains as cringe-worthy as it was in 2002...)

I'll get murdered here for this but most of the deleted/tracked over stuff for Empire. All that inside Echo Base is way too much, Snowspeeder Rescue is too weird and goofy for a tense and dramatic scene, as is Imperial Probe. The first part of the Luke/Vader duel is alright but the second with a triumphant Yoda theme over Luke struggling in a saber lock and Vader taunting him is just completely wrong.

That's not to say I won't enjoy listening to all of them (except speeder rescue, I'll possibly recreate the Hyperspace tracking for that), I'm happy they were spotted and recorded, they just don't fit into the actual movie.

It was a great fake-out concept imo. It builds foreshadowing tension. However, I can't tell if it would be better removing the pause and continuing the music at P (piano) immediately after the decrescendo. This would be more old-fashioned.