The Quick Question Thread

rpvee

Hannibal's score is not for everyone, but it is extremely unique, and very effective within the (absolutely terrific) show

Disappointed to find that Goldsmith's Supergirl isn't available in Varese form but the Silva Screen edition, which a lot of folks seem to have qualms with. 

I'm curious, what's particularly wrong with the expanded release?

On 8/1/2018 at 1:42 AM, Jay said:

Hannibal's score is not for everyone, but it is extremely unique, and very effective within the (absolutely terrific) show

As opposed to "moderately unique"?

2 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

Disappointed to find that Goldsmith's Supergirl isn't available in Varese form but the Silva Screen edition, which a lot of folks seem to have qualms with. 

The expanded isn't bad but it's got nagging sound quality problems (probably inherent in the source?), lacks the film version of the main title, and only has the "short version" of the finale and end credits. The film version of the end credits is a lot longer and includes some synthy elements that aren't present in the Overture. I imagine if they ever revisit this, none of my gripes will be addressed, they'll create new problems, and it'll be brickwalled like The Mummy releases.

I'd guess if Supergirl ever gets expanded, it will be 2CD release with the complete score on disc 1, the full original LP on disc 2, followed by tons of alternates and other bonus tracks.  So you'll be able to pick your favorite version of everything

@Nick Parker,

Do you (or someone else here)  know how to attach a VST synth plugin (Dexed) into a music editing application (Audacity or Ocenaudio)?  Would like to record as I play the "synth." 

Normally, once the synth's interface is installed on your computer, the editing program should automatically be able to recognize the sound via the recording option.

I'm not sure whether I understood your question, but I answered anyway.

9 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:

Does anyone know of a good place to find the Varese album for Conan the Barbarian? The one with 16 tracks? It's really confusing, since all the albums have the same cover art! 

Amazon 

Conan The Barbarian: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000014T1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_-lsABbB9523B4

I have a QQ for all you car drivers:

In BOURNE THE FIRST ONE, Matt Damon is sitting in the girl's Mini. He says the tyres felt "a little splashy".

Anyone got any idea what he means? Bald? Under inflated? Tracking/steering not aligned?

6 minutes ago, Richard said:

I have a QQ for all you car drivers:

In BOURNE THE FIRST ONE, Matt Damon is sitting in the girl's Mini. He says the tyres felt "a little splashy".

Anyone got any idea what he means? Bald? Under inflated? Tracking/steering not aligned?

Under inflated seems like the best option.  Don't drive, though.

On 8/5/2018 at 3:40 PM, Steve McQueen said:

@Nick Parker,

Do you (or someone else here)  know how to attach a VST synth plugin (Dexed) into a music editing application (Audacity or Ocenaudio)?  Would like to record as I play the "synth." 

Do those programs have VST capability? I'm on a tight time window, so I don't have time to look that up. You might want to look into a DAW like Reaper or Sonar by Bandcamp (now free for Windows 10!) if you're looking to record VST tracks: even if the two programs you mention support VSTs, I imagine their MIDI editing capabilities would be rather slim.

I haven't seen the production blogs, but the Desolation of Smaug appendices have an hour-long music documentary.

5 minutes ago, Eändil said:

Also, what was this filmed for? I thought there was only the audio interview on the Rarities CD, or is there also some video commentary?

There was a video commentary for every track planned, but the idea was scrapped.

I remember seeing something about the music in the Desolation of Smaug bonus features. It was hardly an hour though. Under ten minutes. It was Howard Shore, Conrad Pope, Wellington Town Hall. Nice.

If you care The Lord of the Rings Symphony has a documentary. Look it up. I've seen it and it's worth it.

Why do so many of Nikolaus Harnoncourt's recordings sound so weird compared to those of other condcuctors? Is he being extremely liberal with the material he records, or did the others misunderstand the composers? Just listened to his rendition of Handel's Halelujah, never heard anything like it...

9 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Why do so many of Nikolaus Harnoncourt's recordings sound so weird compared to those of other condcuctors? Is he being extremely liberal with the material he records, or did the others misunderstand the composers? Just listened to his rendition of Handel's Halelujah, never heard anything like it...

It's called period performance, and they try to play the music as close as possible to how it was played in its own time, based on research and informed guesswork. Any period music ensemble with self-respect that plays pre-romantic music use gut strings (usually from sheep or goat), which gives a more dirty and edgy sound. It might take a while to get into, but the best ensembles are able to make the music much more interesting. For example, check out the recordings by Akademie für Alte Musik Berlin, Trevor Pinnock conducting The English Concert, and Andrea Marcon conducting the Venice Baroque Orchestra with violinist Giuliano Carmignola. When it comes to Harnoncourt I like some of his recordings, but far from all.

Pinnock has the best recording of Händel's Music for the Royal Fireworks, especially in the energetic first movement!

Nobody beats Marcon's and Carmignola's Vivaldi - make sure to check out tracks 2 and 4!

One of my favorite takes on Vivaldi's famous Gloria. Fast, but not too fast.

One of my favorite recordings that really showcases gut strings is the first track of this album by Akademie für Alte Musik Berlin:

2 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Both I think. He's always been hit and miss for me. In addition to what Jurassic said above, it's also his (rarer) interpretations of more "modern" repertoire that can be very... particular. Even different works of the same composer. His Bruckner 9 is really good (though not quite top notch), while his 7 is decidedly on the odd side, and his much lauded 5 was quite problematic (in the same way as Bruckner interpretations by other mainstream conductors who can't do Bruckner) to my ears. Never liked his Mozart Requiems either, I prefer Gardiner's version.

Of course, what he did for the period performance movement (including starting it in the first place) can't be overestimated.

So are you both saying that, when it comes to baroque, there is no one single right interpretation of a certain piece? Jurassic Shark uses the expression 'informed guesswork, but isn't that the same as saying 'we really have no clue at all?' I'm getting the impression that all Harnoncourt wanted to do is being different than everyone else.

18 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

So are you both saying that, when it comes to baroque, there is no one single right interpretation of a certain piece? Jurassic Shark uses the expression 'informed guesswork, but isn't that the same as saying 'we really have no clue at all?' I'm getting the impression that all Harnoncourt wanted to do is being different than everyone else.

From what I've read on the subject, historical instruments and written historical accounts are used as the basis to get the music as close as possible to how it was played back then. Of course, such old accounts are neither complete nor 100% reliable, and we can never be sure how the performances actually sounded back then. But I have the impression that most of the well-known groups really strive to be as authentic as possible (such as Pinnock, Hogwood, Carmignola, Akademie für Alte Musik Berlin), while a few clearly exaggerate (such as Il Giardino Armonico). A common criticism of the early historical performance groups (such as Harnoncourt) is that they took things too far, sounding too eccentric.

The spirit of the baroque was more performer centered than composer centered, to be fair.

So wildly differing interpretations are quite acceptable, I think.  I don't like the idea that "historically accurate" interpretations are superior.  All interpretations are in their own way valid.

I like and listen to both.

3 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I watched one Apollo's Fire video like 2 years ago and Youtube refuses to stop recommending me all of their videos ever since.

Too Ren Faire-ish for me

Period performance groups really are hit and miss with me. Some really make it, some don't. What do you think about the tracks I suggested above?

Just now, bollemanneke said:

So does this mean that if we fast-forward 200 years, we'll have eccentric performances of the flying Theme too? Or is JW's sheet music too interpretation-proof?

We've been recording music for over 100 years now

4 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

So does this mean that if we fast-forward 200 years, we'll have eccentric performances of the flying Theme too? Or is JW's sheet music too interpretation-proof?

Probably!  Though composers from the Romantic era onward have generally been much more precise with how they want their music performed.

Still, there is great room for variation.  

On 8/2/2018 at 9:49 PM, kaseykockroach said:

This needs a modern two CD release by LLL or Intrada, really.

41 minutes ago, Steve McQueen said:

The spirit of the baroque was more performer centered than composer centered, to be fair.

So wildly differing interpretations are quite acceptable, I think.  I don't like the idea that "historically accurate" interpretations are superior.  All interpretations are in their own way valid.

I don't really care what's considered right and wrong, as long as they make the music sound great!

3 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

It's not just guesswork. There's a lot you can deduce from the instruments, acoustics, performers and settings of the time old music was written. Before Harnoncourt & Co came along, nobody cared for that, and old music was performed like romantic music, which may at times be interesting (often not), but certainly not authentic. Every young choir director today who's had *some* professional training will give you detailed and well founded instructions on how and why a Purcell piece should be sung differently from an Elgar piece. There's a lot of knowledge about early music that wasn't known 50+ years ago simply because back then nobody cared about it. Remember that Bach was virtually forgotten less than 100 years after his death until Mendelssohn came along and resurrected his music.

Does Williams' concert arrangement of The Rebellion is Reborn (ie the one performed in concert, not the album version) start with the Luke exile jig?  I've been listening to different band arrangements of the themes(s) and they all start that way.

On 8/14/2018 at 10:06 AM, Not Mr. Big said:

Does Williams' concert arrangement of The Rebellion is Reborn (ie the one performed in concert, not the album version) start with the Luke exile jig?

Strangely enough, no.

11 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Have you tried Skype? I've never had a problem with latency.

No, I haven't really used video chat before. I wanted to field my potential options to see if there was some quasi-hole in the wall app that smoked the big boys.

Could anyone recommend me a website that allows you to legally buy and download classical music albums in MP3? I recently discovered Qobuz and am looking for similar websites. Do note that I've given up on Amazon and iTunes: the former because I can't buy digital things without getting error messages, the latter because I'm sick of everything Apple-related.

7 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Could anyone recommend me a website that allows you to legally buy and download classical music albums in MP3? I recently discovered Qobuz and am looking for similar websites. Do note that I've given up on Amazon and iTunes: the former because I can't buy digital things without getting error messages, the latter because I'm sick of everything Apple-related.

https://us.7digital.com/

However, it may have country limitations...  In my case I have also a 7digital Canada, but not exactly with the same content, of course...

I've a couple of STAR WARS questions, which have been on my mind:

1 - how much of ROGUE ONE was edited by Stuart Baird?

2 - in TLJ, it's established that it is "impossible" to track a ship through hyperspace. This is, plainly, untrue, as Darth Vader's ship tracked the Tantive IV, through hyperspace, at the end of R1/begin of Ep. IV.

How could the alliance not be aware of technology that is nearly 70 years old-especially since Leia was on the Tantive IV?

3 minutes ago, Richard said:

1 - how much of ROGUE ONE was edited by Stuart Baird?

Considering Bairds reputation as a "fixer" probably quite a lot.

3 minutes ago, Richard said:

2 - in TLJ, it's established that it is "impossible" to track a ship through hyperspace. This is, plainly, untrue, as Darth Vader's ship tracked the Tantive IV, through hyperspace, at the end of R1/begin of Ep. IV.

Because they put a tracking device on the Falcon. 

Han even states that they cannot track his ship. "Not this ship, sister!" So that suggests unless it's got a tracking device on it, a ship can't be tracked in hyperspace.