The Quick Question Thread

rpvee

On 5/16/2019 at 11:06 AM, Jay said:

Ah yes thank you, I knew I was forgetting an obvious one

This should be the shortest.

Another one. I just heard an excerpt of Wagner's Ring Cycle recorded in 1965 (conducted by Solti). Why does that sound way better than nearly all the film scores I've heard from that time?

5 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Another one. I just heard an excerpt of Wagner's Ring Cycle recorded in 1965 (conducted by Solti). Why does that sound way better than nearly all the film scores I've heard from that time?

Many of the classical recordings of the 60s and 70s were made to last. I have a bunch of DG albums from 1964-1968 that sound phenomenal! Of course, DG is a quality label too!

11 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

It was given a spare no expense treatment back then.  You can definitely significantly improve 60's contemporaneous era recordings if their masters are in good shape.  Take for example the Beatles remastered.  Solti's recording was the first complete recording of the Ring, used all the exotic instruments which weren't typically used at that time (bass trumpet, contrabass trombone, Wagner tuben, etc), in a very fine hall with state of the art recording gear and the best Wagner vocalists.  It has been remastered several times using the latest and greatest technologies to remove tape hiss and add sheen and overtones.  You are probably hearing one of the recent remasterings.  Also, to me Decca/London has always had phenomenal sound.  That was just part of their mission. 

21 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

So are you saying that Hollywood just couldn't afford or refused to use proper recording equipment? I'm absolutely blown away by the difference.

I don't think Hollywood was making music meant to last for generations.  This goes back to the point that they would toss the sheet music of some amazing composers after it had been recorded because they had to move on to the next score right away so it was a bit of a production line that happened to have amazing talent.  Those works can definitely sound great if given the proper treatment and the original masters exist in good shape (the Ten Commandments from 1956 was recorded at MGM and just had a marvelous remastering).   Take a listen to some of these clips: http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.10415/.f

I think this Ride of the Valkyries segment sounds pretty great for 1956! 

TCEB_02-30.m3u

Does anyone remember where it was that Spielberg revealed that Hooper was wrong about Quint's catch being a "game fish" and that it was in fact Bruce on the end of the line, when he told Hooper never to tell him his business again? I read about it fairly recently, but I've forgotten the source, and someone on a Jaws FB group is asking me to cite it.

27 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Does anyone remember where it was that Spielberg revealed that Hooper was wrong about Quint's catch being a "game fish" and that it was in fact Bruce on the end of the line, when he told Hooper never to tell him his business again? I read about it fairly recently, but I've forgotten the source, and someone on a Jaws FB group is asking me to cite it.

Lee, that doesn't prove a damn thing!

44 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Well, I mean it kind of is. The earliest found example of it was written on a stone slab I believe.

Yeah but to me when I was a kid, it just sounded like it was describing "ancient primitive sand writing". Naturally for years, I thought it was "sand scrit".

17 hours ago, The Original said:

Yeah but to me when I was a kid, it just sounded like it was describing "ancient primitive sand writing". Naturally for years, I thought it was "sand scrit".

Sand script!

3 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

It just usually doesn't interest me. Even the better source cues, such as the cantina band #1, I rarely listen to.

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

It depends!

What Steef said. Very often it is a curiosity (at best), but once in a while you get stuff like the two Cantina Band pieces, or Gloria (if you like that). I don't remember if Exsultate Justi was source music, and I think I don't even know if the Rosewood songs are source cues, but if they are, those are certainly some of the standout pieces of their respective scores.

2 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I don't remember if Exsultate Justi was source music

That piece is not source music.  Despite tying in with the choral opening of the film, it is a very unusual choice for the score.  

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, The Original said:

Is Men In Black International set in the same universe as the previous films or is it a reboot?

From its Wiki page -  'Emma Thompson reprising her role from Men in Black 3 and Tim Blaney reprising his role as Frank the Pug from the first two films'.

• 4 weeks later...