The Quick Question Thread

rpvee

• 2 weeks later...

Another question. I'm looking for an American e-mail newsletter that contains links to articles about current events and US politics. So not like the New York times who send you the entire articles, just links like the Guardian/The Sun in the UK. I would like to receive it in the evening, so morning in the US. Any recommendations?

5 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Another question. I'm looking for an American e-mail newsletter that contains links to articles about current events and US politics. So not like the New York times who send you the entire articles, just links like the Guardian/The Sun in the UK. I would like to receive it in the evening, so morning in the US. Any recommendations?

https://www.npr.org/

and click on the "Daily News Email — Get the latest headlines and unique NPR stories, sent every weekday." where you enter your email address to subscribe.

MP3 VBR question (yes, I use MP3).

I just re-installed WavePad on my new computer (new version) and converted some files, which suddenly have a higher bitrate. For instance, The Wizards' Consort used to be 164kbps, now it's 254kbps, even though I use the same settings (128-320, highest quality 0). What's going on? Audacity gives the same result, but I never used to get these high bitrates for clfassical music.

2 hours ago, Richard said:

I have a quick JAWS2 question:

Why was no source music (AMITY HIGH SCHOOL BAND/DOWNTOWN, etc.) not included on the 2-disc Intrada?

John Williams vetoed it

Yea but Jaws doesn't even have all the source music recorded.  I guess he's particular about some of that stuff >shrug<

1 hour ago, bollemanneke said:

Quite illogical really, because 1 does have source music and I think 2's source music is nicer.

Is it really that memorable?

Does anyone know whether The Patriot was ever shortened for TV broadcast? I wanted to watch it tonight, but ended up with a file with a running time of 2h17, which according to IMDB and Wikipedia can't be right.

IMDB has 3 runtimes:

165 min | 175 min (extended) | 142 min (workprint)

But also this:

Version shown on TNT is heavily edited for violence. Some scenes are color edited (blood is dyed brown to look like mud), while other scenes use alternate takes, and some scenes have been removed completely.

You're better off sticking with the "Apocalypse Now Sessions" album put out by the Rhythm Devils, and the Redux OST, even though the latter mostly contains early versions and alternate takes of the music heard in the film. Several major cues are also missing

• 3 weeks later...

Has Williams ever commented on why the timing of the Luke and Leia theme is so different in Return of the Jedi (mainly “Brother and Sister”) vs its concert suite from the same film? The notes are the same, but some are played faster for some reason. Only the “Leia’s News” statement is normal.

I'm just listening to Film Night (Lockhart condcucting Boston Pops in JW program in May this year) and they're playing Superman, but only play the fanfare and B seciton once in C, while the theme statement in F major is also ommitted. Is this some new kind of arrangement I'm not familiar with? Is it JW approved?

• 2 weeks later...

Tadlow Lawrence of Arabia, Disc 2, track 14 - Sunshine: The Sonnenscheins

EAC/Accurip said it was fine, yet anyone else have weird crackling around 2:00, especially a severe burst at 2:03?

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Thekthithm said:

I see people say "OG" online a lot. What's this mean?

I first read it many years ago on the internet in regards to the E.T. 20th anniversary version. The classic E.T. was referred to as the OG E.T. It just kinda stuck.

How do you guys from English-speaking countries express laughter on the internet? I only know "lol" and "rofl", is there more?

Here, for small laughs, we use "rs" or "rsrs" - rs is derived from "risos", which means "laughs". And, for big laughs, we use HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA or, the most peculiar, KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK. So, when you see a KKKKKK on the internet, it's not someone desperately trying to summon the Ku Klux Klan, it's just some brazilian laughing.

For experienced JWFanners, please help this newbie: what is exactly the point of the Star Wars Disenchantment thread? I read it a few times and it was just people bashing The Last Jedi. Than the thread is up again and there is just some weird theories about TROS. I mean, whats is this thread exactly?

28 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

For experienced JWFanners, please help this newbie: what is exactly the point of the Star Wars Disenchantment thread? I read it a few times and it was just people bashing The Last Jedi. Than the thread is up again and there is just some weird theories about TROS. I mean, whats is this thread exactly?

The main persona in that thread, Matriss, (and a few other like-minded people) had been filling up the main Star Wars threads with intense complaints about The Last Jedi and the Disney Star Wars management.  Their posts, and the ensuing sometimes upset, sometimes comic responses, were moved into the Disenchantment thread, where they remain despite Matriss declaring he is now "enlightened" and mostly posting theories about TROS.

Thanks! 

It will be fun to see this December if TROS will also be controversial. On one hand, is JJ Abrams, a guy who plays safer than Johnson, and on the other, is the alleged finale of a 9 movie saga... And Star Wars fans are easily irritated.

I'm working my way through the Schindler's List recording sessions and can't help wondering... why are there so many COMPLETE takes of all these cues? Why don't they just re-recordt whatever bars someone didn't like? Why do they record a whole piece multiple times? Isn't that an… enormous waste of time?