The Quick Question Thread

rpvee

These two albums have the '53 version of the Fox fanfare (without the Cinemascope extension):

Planet_of_the_apes_Varese_VSD_5848.jpg

Varese Sarabande VSD-5848

http://www.soundtrackcollector.com/title/2292/Planet+Of+The+Apes

Mephisto_waltz_The_other_Varese_VSD_5851

Varese Sarabande VSD 5851 

http://www.soundtrackcollector.com/title/9315/Mephisto+Waltz%2C+The

4 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

How's this score?

I've never been a big fan, but then it was one of my earliest of the more abstract Goldsmith scores. Others seem to hold it in far higher esteem, and I'll certainly give it another go whenever they do a sound upgrade.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Could anyone recommend a radio station that plays (classical) and film music, but also Irish instrumental folk music, or one that only focuses on the latter?

There's Classic F.M; that plays a lot of film music (usually Horner, and Shore). Have you tried Irish Gaelic radio stations?

Okay, so I went to an LSO concert a couple of days ago and was incredibly fortunate to hear them perform Beethoven's 7th. Now addicted to both them and the 4th movement of that work as a result.

I'm wondering if there's a comprehensive online resource that lists all the CDs (no vinyls) the LSO has ever released? Note that I am nt interested in that incredibly unwieldy and incomprehensible PDF they advertise themselves.

24 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Okay, so I went to an LSO concert a couple of days ago and was incredibly fortunate to hear them perform Beethoven's 7th. Now addicted to both them and the 4th movement of that work as a result.

I'm wondering if there's a comprehensive online resource that lists all the CDs (no vinyls) the LSO has ever released? Note that I am nt interested in that incredibly unwieldy and incomprehensible PDF they advertise themselves.

Discogs and Allmusic should list most of them.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone remember a thread here where people were posting clips from films with alternate music selections? I seem to recall a scene from Jurassic World with the music being replaced with a selection from Star Trek Beyond being one of the entries. Not many people contributed and it had a kinda strange thread title from what I can recall. Can't seem to find it.

1 hour ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

Does anyone remember a thread here where people were posting clips from films with alternate music selections?

Was it that one?

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/28224-lets-rescore-scenes-fun-thread/

Assuming you're talking about the 2004 film scored by Howard Shore, and not the 1985 film scored by Dominic Frontiere, then yea, you got it.  Sony put out a song compilation OST album,and Decca put out a score CD.

There was an FYC album, but it was identical to the OST

On 1/19/2020 at 5:32 PM, bollemanneke said:

Is that the symphony where one of the movements starts very quietly, with the string section, but builds up? Wasn't that used in ZARDOZ? I love that!

22 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Is that the symphony where one of the movements starts very quietly, with the string section, but builds up? Wasn't that used in ZARDOZ? I love that!

You're probably referring to the first movement. And it's incredible!

• 2 weeks later...

@Naïve Old Fart, I've got a very serious, important question to ask you.

Which ones of Monty Python's records are the best? I'm of course familiar with those that are derived from the films, and the song compilation Monty Python sings. The other ones I'm less familiar with, so those are the ones I'm curious about.

Comedy records are, by tradition, a bit hit 'n' miss. That being said, ANOTHER MONTY PYTHON RECORD is good. MONTY PYTHON'S CONTRACTUTAL OBLIGATION ALBUM is not bad, either. I also like MONTY PYTHON'S LIFE OF BRIAN, mainly for the "links".

The whole lot of them were rereleased, as a box set, a few years back. 

In close encounters, what does this five note theme have to do with the five note hello theme used as the main melody?  Was this perhaps one of the other 200 versions of the five note theme John Williams wrote?  There is the conference scene where they try to say the hello theme emerged from this but that didn’t make sense.

This has to be the Spielberg film that makes the least sense.

44 minutes ago, karelm said:

There is the conference scene where they try to say the hello theme emerged from this but that didn’t make sense.

They just hired JW to write a variation on the theme, but that scene was cut from the film.

1 hour ago, karelm said:

In close encounters, what does this five note theme have to do with the five note hello theme used as the main melody?  Was this perhaps one of the other 200 versions of the five note theme John Williams wrote?  There is the conference scene where they try to say the hello theme emerged from this but that didn’t make sense.

I easily hear it with the general shape, up, down a bit, big downward leap then halfway back up and everything, but it usually takes a while for my ear to adjust to which of the 5 notes begins the phrase, it's not separated well.