The Quick Question Thread

rpvee

3 hours ago, karelm said:

In close encounters, what does this five note theme have to do with the five note hello theme used as the main melody?  Was this perhaps one of the other 200 versions of the five note theme John Williams wrote?  There is the conference scene where they try to say the hello theme emerged from this but that didn’t make sense.

What do you mean? I hear the same theme there? (Except that they add a pause between the 3rd and 4th note, and many of them (but definitely not all) seem to sing an octave instead of a fifth for the last note)

I always figured it might be a cultural thing. Perhaps the difference between a fifth and an octave is not so relevant to them, and ending with an octave is a more natural/automatic way of singing it. (That doesn't mean the last note doesn't bother me every time I watch it)

Oh, I see what is happening.  The Indian song starts with the "hello" theme's last two notes.  The first version in the audio file is the Indian song and the second version has the last three notes of the Indian song first and voilà, its the main hello theme.  I still wonder if they were using one of the other versions of the theme for that scene.

CE.mp3

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

What do you mean? I hear the same theme there? (Except that they add a pause between the 3rd and 4th note, and many of them (but definitely not all) seem to sing an octave instead of a fifth for the last note)

Yeah, that's it. And the too short pause after the 5th note can be a bit confusing. 

I guess the reason the theme was done a bit differently in this scene was to make it sound exotic.

The solo "leader" guy entering at the correct spot especially makes it clear that this is the same melody, they just keep weird pauses. How the film edit starts it is irrelevant, maybe you're even supposed to slowy ease into it and realise "holy balls, this is the same thing!".

Oh wait, the YT upload is just weirdly cut with a butcher's cleaver, you can hear the third note ending before the pause and 4th and 5th note.

32 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Yeah, that's it. And the too short pause after the 5th note can be a bit confusing. 

I guess the reason the theme was done a bit differently in this scene was to make it sound exotic.

4 minutes ago, Holko said:

The solo "leader" guy entering at the correct spot especially makes it clear that this is the same melody, they just keep weird pauses. How the film edit starts it is irrelevant, maybe you're evn supposed to slowy ease into it and realise "holy balls, this is the same thing!".

Oh wait, the YT upload is just weirdly cut with a butcher's cleaver, you can hear the third note ending before the pause and 4th and 5th note.

The notes are not in the same order.  See my post above with the audio clip.  Oh maybe that's what you both mean, the pause I hear as the end of the melody.

1 minute ago, karelm said:

The notes are not in the same order.  See my post above with the audio clip.  Oh maybe that's what you both mean, the pause I hear as the end of the melody.

You're confused because the pause at the end of the melody is shorter than the pause inside.

I've always heard it as the same motif, with a pause occurring on the third note of the phrase and a resolution on the final note, which gives it a more "chant-like" quality.

• 1 month later...

I want to buy the first five Roger Moore Bond films on UK DVD.

The primary reason: I want to be able to watch them in 5.1 surround sound (no, not buying Blu-Rays). The secondary reason: I hope, but don’t expect, to find an audio description track on them.

The question: Which version should I get? I see remastered, special and ultimate editions on Amazon and don’t want to waste money on things that don’t include 5.1 audio. Needless to say Amazon’s product details page still suck.

The entire Bond series was released on D.V.D., in the 00s, each one as a 2-disc set, and each one with remastered sound and picture.

I'd recommend these. In addition, each film up to and including THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN has been remixed in 5.1.

Since THE SPY WHO LOVED ME, the original surround mix has been adhered to: no remixing. As for the Bond films that you are wanting: don't expect too much in dynamic 5.1. The Bond films have always sounded...adequate...when it comes to sound.

IMO, the best sounding Bond film, is TOMORROW NEVER DIES - and it has a 5.1 iso score.

Thank you. So are you saying the spy who loved me doesn't exist in 5.1 on DVD, or do you mean they were being made in 5.1 from that point onwards, hence no remixing was necessary?

Correct.

All Bond films, from DR. NO  to THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN, were remixed in 5.1, especially for the D.V.D. (and subsequent Blu Ray) releases.

From THE SPY WHO LOVED ME onwards, the Bond films were in multichannel, and it is those mixes which were retained for the D.V.D.s/Blu Rays.

Make no mistake: THE SPY WHO LOVED ME is definitely in 5.1 :)

Now, here's where it gets interesting. Officially, the first Bond film released in stereo, at the cinema, was ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE, but the first Bond film to be mixed in 5.1 for D.V.D., was THUNDERBALL. This all happened on a previous release, when all other Bond films from DR. NO to THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN retained their original mono mixes. Strange, that, isn't it.

• 3 weeks later...
49 minutes ago, Þekþiþm said:

I don't get the bit in Last Crusade when Indy's trying to get into his office but there's like 40 students in there hounding him about something. What was that all about?

He had been away on adventures for such a long time that the students were desperate for follow-up.

1 hour ago, Þekþiþm said:

I don't get the bit in Last Crusade when Indy's trying to get into his office but there's like 40 students in there hounding him about something. What was that all about?

They're all in love with him.

• 2 weeks later...

Just one of those sites that downloads fan edits and recording session leaks from the internet, burns them to CDRs, and sells them for profit.  

Today, Peter Jackson's King Kong (2005) was on SCI-FI channel.  So why was Ann Darrow falling in love with kong?  They literally beat us with dreamy eyed footage of Naomi Watts looking longingly into Kong's eyes and every time I saw that, it made no sense.  Then at the end Jack Black's final statement was "Beauty killed the beast".  No it wasn't, he is the one who took kong off skull island and Ann Darrow was the only one who fought against that.  This movie made little sense and wasn't that well directed...way too many slow motion effects and nonsensical love sequences between beauty and the beast.

The love story on the movie was admittedly ridiculous. Jackson apparently was trying to make a big tragic romantic epic in the lines of Titanic and Doctor Zhivago, but about bestialism.

That said, I love the score, it's one of the reasons my avatar is JNH.

• 3 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

People who know Classical music: what is the name of this piece with choir here at the beginning of this Honest Trailer?

It's the Dies Irae from Verdi's Requiem.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/16/2020 at 6:12 AM, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

If Buzz Lightyear didn't believe he was a toy, why did he freeze like the other toys when humans were around?

His programming demanded that he blend in with his surroundings, and imitate those closest to him. He didn't want his cover blown, so he froze, like everyone else.

We know that he's influential, because he's a no-show on a panel organising the 200th anniversary, and his "privileged" upbringing is mentioned, in BATMAN RETURNS, but I think that's about it. I guess that the films kind of expect that audiences will know his back story.

On 5/7/2020 at 1:34 AM, karelm said:

Today, Peter Jackson's King Kong (2005) was on SCI-FI channel.  So why was Ann Darrow falling in love with kong?  They literally beat us with dreamy eyed footage of Naomi Watts looking longingly into Kong's eyes and every time I saw that, it made no sense.  Then at the end Jack Black's final statement was "Beauty killed the beast".  No it wasn't, he is the one who took kong off skull island and Ann Darrow was the only one who fought against that.  This movie made little sense and wasn't that well directed...way too many slow motion effects and nonsensical love sequences between beauty and the beast.

Forget it, karelm, it's Jacksontown.

The PJ King Kong is more boring than Algebra but it made for a decent theme park attraction. You just subtract all the boring pretentious crap and focus on people with guns and monsters.

6 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

This is for @Thor but anyone is welcome to chime in:

Should I buy Zimmer's The Power of One soundtrack? I can get it for next to nothing. Thanks.

Wow! I just posted about it on the " Last score.." thread!😗😄

On 5/6/2020 at 5:34 PM, karelm said:

Because Jackson actually remade the 1976 version ( which he disingenuously criticised).

Naomi Watts was " cast in the Jessica Lange role ."

Fuck PJ!😠😡