The Quick Question Thread

rpvee

30 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

Why do so many posters here hide behind screen names ( and bad ones, at that!)?

What have they got to hide?😝

Perhaps they don't want to be directly linked to the stupid shit they say. At least we can point and say, yeah don't be a fuckwit like Bruce Marshall.

23 minutes ago, Arpy said:

Perhaps they don't want to be directly linked to the stupid shit they say. At least we can point and say, yeah don't be a fuckwit like Bruce Marshall.

I see I found another person who suffers from humour impairment.

Terrible affliction😰

• 2 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

If the stairs were endless, they'd never make it to the top.

Can we have a post from someone who's had a little less caffeine?

They're called Endless because they go up from the mines all the way to the peak of Zirakzigil. It took Gandalf and the Balrog days do get to the top.

Can anyone definitely identify this signature instrument strangely not mentioned by Mike in the booklet? The player list only includes "Piano", probably a blanket category for many keyboard instruments. Contenders so far were harpsichord (doesn't sound much like how I remember the harpsichord sounding) and clavinet.

It sounds to me like a vintage Rhodes synth which would of course be played by the keyboardist.  They were popular in the 70's like here it is again from JW in Towering Inferno though lower register.

https://johndadlez.com/MP3/JohnWilliamsDisasterCollection/ThePoseidonAdventure/21_TMA_VV1.mp3

QUESTION: What if any current composer would you consider influenced by Bernard Herrmann?   I'm not talking about pastiche where the composer is trying to imitate Herrmann's style but someone who incorporates the elements of Herrmann into their own style.

• 1 month later...
On 8/15/2020 at 2:16 AM, karelm said:

It sounds to me like a vintage Rhodes synth which would of course be played by the keyboardist.  They were popular in the 70's like here it is again from JW in Towering Inferno though lower register.

https://johndadlez.com/MP3/JohnWilliamsDisasterCollection/ThePoseidonAdventure/21_TMA_VV1.mp3

Sorry, Karelm, that's from THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE, and it wasn't composed by JW.

On 8/15/2020 at 2:16 AM, karelm said:

QUESTION: What if any current composer would you consider influenced by Bernard Herrmann?   I'm not talking about pastiche where the composer is trying to imitate Herrmann's style but someone who incorporates the elements of Herrmann into their own style.

JW is still influenced by Bennie. He's been influenced by Herrmann since he stared his career in films. It's all over his music.

In CE3K Spec Ed, there's this shot of Roy's car going across the screen while a spaceship shadow crosses over him. It only extends the footage by a few frames, it replaces the opening of a longer shot in the theatrical. Was this a new FX shot, or something that was initially rejected but 3 years later included again?

image.png

19 hours ago, Holko said:

In CE3K Spec Ed, there's this shot of Roy's car going across the screen while a spaceship shadow crosses over him. It only extends the footage by a few frames, it replaces the opening of a longer shot in the theatrical. Was this a new FX shot, or something that was initially rejected but 3 years later included again?

image.png

It was one of the new shots for the Special Edition, and it replaced the shot of Neary's van travelling left-to-right, with the U.F.O. following.

If you think Schitt's Creek is about horrid people, than you've only seen the early episodes. It turns out if you watch it all, it's a show about the opposite of that 

20 hours ago, Jay said:

If you think Schitt's Creek is about horrid people, than you've only seen the early episodes. It turns out if you watch it all, it's a show about the opposite of that 

I couldn't watch past season two.

Torture.

I did enjoy O'hara

Inside. And some kinda needless editing down of the theatrical. And chopping Forming the Mountain in half. The Cotopaxi doesn't really add anything in their place either. The theatrical rocks even if the first family scene is kinda missed.

3 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Really, dude? What's bad about it?

Basically, that what @Holko said. I prefer the director's cut, because it has the advantages of the special edition without having its disadvantages. It's like the three cuts of Blade Runner, where the director kinda had to level off in order to get to the ideal version.

6 hours ago, Jay said:

It's called a "slow burn"b( SCHITTS CREEK)

It's a COMEDY, frevinnsakes!

DIRECTORS CUT:Special edition

CE3K was released before SS could refine his cut.

The repetitive scenes with Roy making the mountain were terrible!*

The whole momentum of the film was stopped with the unnecceary scene of him visiting the power plant.

We really didn't need the press conference either, but that one I can live with.

These changes greatly improved the film . The inside scenes were nice . I like them but they aren't essential.

*I saw CE three times in first run. The last two times I played pinball in the lobby during those scenes!

2 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

Basically, that what @Holko said. I prefer the director's cut, because it has the advantages of the special edition without having its disadvantages. It's like the three cuts of Blade Runner, where the director kinda had to level off in order to get to the ideal version.

Can you remind me what the DC changed from the SE?

I remember being upset with it.

In the Jaws booklet, Mike refers to an "Orca" theme (I assume the one that returns in Finding the Orca in Jaws 2), and a "sprightly hornpipe for scenes of the boat at sea". ANyone know exactly what the latter one is referring to? I listened to the first few "hornpipe" videos but that didn't help, I didn't immediately know "oh, it's gotta be this!". I can think of 4-6 loosely associated recurring motifs in the score, nobody named them in 45 years, not even fans?